PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Commodore A590 power supply

MannaTheBerserk
31st January 2016, 17:24
Hi everybody,

I have just bought two A590 for my Amiga 500.

Unfortunately they won't come with the power supply.

For that reason I need to buy at least one to make them work properly.

Please contact me or answer this thread if you have one to sell or you know where can I buy one.

If necessary I would be willing to buy another A590 with its psu, as long as the price is fair.

Thank you very much in advance!

Mauro

Roux
2nd February 2016, 06:52
Hi Mate, can you PM me a pic of the pin configuration, I have a number of random Amiga accessory PSUs and I think I have one for the A590. Also I have a friend out of town that has an A590 and PSU for sale but he has no way of sending me a photo of the back. If you are interested in that please send me an offer to pass on. Cheers!

eslapion
2nd February 2016, 10:00
@Roux
The power connector for the A590 is exactly the same as the one on a CMD HD with the NC line becoming a sense line. If you only look for a power supply that has the same connector it may not work.

For a long time I wanted to make clones of this PSU. However nobody ever gave me the information about the sense line. Otherwise its just an ordinary +5/+12v PSU.

Zeph
2nd February 2016, 15:01
I believe the power sense pin is connected through to pin 6 of the Amiga edge connector to tell the unit to enable the circuitry once the Amiga is turned on

Roux
2nd February 2016, 19:22
@eslapion Ok good to know - Thank you! I checked it last night and it looks right but I guess the only way would be to test it on an A590.

eslapion
4th February 2016, 03:17
I believe the power sense pin is connected through to pin 6 of the Amiga edge connector to tell the unit to enable the circuitry once the Amiga is turned on
Can you indicate, electrically, what does pin 6 consist of?

Zeph
4th February 2016, 13:36
+5v I think, but your best bet would be to test it against ground

MannaTheBerserk
5th February 2016, 11:37
I got the diagram at abime.net

Pin 1 - Red (+5v)
Pin 2 - Black (0v)
Pin 3 - NC
Pin 4 - Brown (+12v)

White (-12v) - not connected

eslapion
7th February 2016, 14:10
I got the diagram at abime.net

Pin 1 - Red (+5v)
Pin 2 - Black (0v)
Pin 3 - NC
Pin 4 - Brown (+12v)

White (-12v) - not connected
This pinout is incomplete.

Pin 3 is NOT NC, it is SENSE on the PSU for the A590.

Pin 3 is NC on the CMD HD, CDTV32 and 1541-II/1581 power supplies which don't need sensing.

roy_bates
7th February 2016, 16:06
the sense pin allows power from the power supply to be fed to the a590

MannaTheBerserk
8th February 2016, 10:28
Yeah, unfortunately I am not an expert in this matter, I don't know where to search more precise informations about that.

Hopefully someone will come out with a nice solution though. :)

eslapion
8th February 2016, 11:07
Here's what I could do for you:

An external power supply in a single box with power cords for both the Amiga 500 and the A590. Since a single power supply will feed both pieces of equipment then the sense line is no longer necessary.

Since I will have to use a PC power supply, this box will give you at least 200 watts of power which is more than double the rated power for the A500/A590 PSUs combined. You'll have lot of extra latitude to add accelerator, flickerfixer and other expansions to your A500.

There is an important caveat:
- NEVER turn on your power supply with the A500/A590 disconnected from one another with power cords attached to both pieces of equipment
- NEVER turn on your power supply with the A500/A590 connected together with only one power cord attached

You either have both power cords attached and the A500/A590 connected together
or
Only one power cord attached to the A500 and the A590 completely disconnected from power and from the A500

MannaTheBerserk
8th February 2016, 11:24
Here's what I could do for you:

An external power supply in a single box with power cords for both the Amiga 500 and the A590. Since a single power supply will feed both pieces of equipment then the sense line is no longer necessary.

Since I will have to use a PC power supply, this box will give you at least 200 watts of power which is more than double the rated power for the A500/A590 PSUs combined. You'll have lot of extra latitude to add accelerator, flickerfixer and other expansions to your A500.

There is an important caveat:
- NEVER turn on your power supply with the A500/A590 disconnected from one another with power cords attached to both pieces of equipment
- NEVER turn on your power supply with the A500/A590 connected together with only one power cord attached

You either have both power cords attached and the A500/A590 connected together
or
Only one power cord attached to the A500 and the A590 completely disconnected from power and from the A500

Thanks eslapion, it sound like a good idea indeed.

But what if I used two PSUs instead of one? The Amiga 500 PSU for the computer, of course, and another one ( like the PC PSU you mentioned, but underpowered obviously ) for the A590. Wouldn't that sort the same effect, but with the option to turn on just the Amiga 500 if needed?

eslapion
9th February 2016, 23:32
Thanks eslapion, it sound like a good idea indeed.

But what if I used two PSUs instead of one? The Amiga 500 PSU for the computer, of course, and another one ( like the PC PSU you mentioned, but underpowered obviously ) for the A590. Wouldn't that sort the same effect, but with the option to turn on just the Amiga 500 if needed?
1. 2 different small power supplies instead only one that is beefy enough to feed 2 devices is more expensive

2. If you leave the A590 connected to the A500 and power only the A500 you can cause damage to the equipment

3. If you connect the A500 to the A590 and power both devices then you must turn on both power supplies at EXACTLY the same time or you will cause damage to the equipment - that's the function of the sense line in the A590's PSU. Using a single power supply for both devices eliminates most of the above problems

MannaTheBerserk
28th February 2016, 17:22
Ok guys, I finally have found one A590 set, which includes its original PSU as well.

I have just bought it from the user "Schuimpy (http://www.amibay.com/member.php?12024-Schuimpy)".

So, I am now waiting for the item to be prepared, packed and shipped.

Thank you all very much for your help, answers and pieces of advice. Much appreciated! :D

flnettles
17th October 2016, 18:57
Hello, I also have an A590 with no power supply. After much research, I have found posts that indicate that the power supply from either a CD32, 1541-II and 1581 will also work but I am hoping someone out there can verify this before I take a chance and power up the A590. Anyone?

TjLaZer
18th October 2016, 20:21
Just do the hack so it draws power from A500 zorro bus.