A500 Plus referb photolog

TheoryBoy

AmiBayer
Country
Ireland
Region
Cork
I have been diagnosed with Amiga Madness :D

Here is my little Retr0brighted A500 pet project with 2MB Chip/2MB Fast with A500ide

I bought a 500 from Horace over at eab, this was its condition as it left him.

a500up.jpg

I wanted to switch keyboard to the older Red power/caps lock and no blank international keys. I was able to find an older keyboard controller and I used the keys from my other A500.

donerkeys.jpg

The keys were treated multiple times in multiple ways but it turned out that in a jar for a few days in daylight was probably the best way.

keys.jpg

The floppy drive was not working so I used a Samsung drive which by pure chance needed very little modification to use the Teac eject button.
floppyz.jpg

A few extras from Zetr0 and mkl, along with a neat Auto kickstart switch, 1.3 and 2.05, that swaps kickstart by holding the 3 finger salute. No case modifications needed.
a500ide.jpg

CFIDE68K v296

ideeo.jpg

donezp.jpg

Spot the mistake :D

a500wb.jpg

The madness isnt over yet, I am only getting started:shhh:

Nice.. Just getting back into the 500plus myself.. picked up a nice one on here.

how are you finding the ide adapter.. I would like one of them, but the fact it does not autoboot, puts me off.

Dude that is a thing of beauty! What a brilliant job! (y)

Im particulary fond of the 500+ as it was my first Amiga back in 1994. You did a great job on the keyboard, although I prefer the amber/green LED combination myself :) Post more pics if you got 'em!

Nice work, I like the A500 a lot since it is compatible with older games.

Very nice indeed! Please keep us posted with updates. :) I'm going to start working on my A500 soon with tomthul's RAM/IDE board. Should be lots of fun!

Good job!

Heather

Thanks. yea there will be more photos on the way :D

camerafs.jpg

lights.jpg

resety.jpg

A little tab so the clip can sit level with the cpu. Access to pin 18 is needed for the auto kickstart switch.

Nice.. Just getting back into the 500plus myself.. picked up a nice one on here.

how are you finding the ide adapter.. I would like one of them, but the fact it does not autoboot, puts me off.

It only arrived this morning, but I am finding it great. It supports autoboot with the A600 kickstart or with 3.1 which is planned. Whdload works fine on it. Hard to believe that whdload is working on a lowly A500. :LOL:

I am getting around 900k/s according to sysinfo with the 1GB cf card, going to try a few different options later.

I liked the idea tomthul ide board with the 2mb fastram, but I had traveled a little too far down this road with parts to buy that board too. Although I have a zorro adapter and hd controller coming from him, that might find their way into my older A500. More on that later.

Doh! i was confusing this with the tomhul model.. I am running 1.3/3.1rom in my 500+, just picked up an a570, so im after the ram upgrade that goes in that, an accelerator and maybe a fastram with pass through too...

Yeah great job!! I spotted the cursor keys !!:ninja:

What Peroxide did you use? What Oxy?

<thinking> "Do I attempt another go at Retr0bright?"

:)

I used 35% foodgrade (bought from :whistle: ), that I diluted down. Use gloves and eye protection.

I made 500ml of 10% solution mixed with glycerine (1 talespoon) and 1 teaspoon of trag gum. I used Vanish oxy action. I had enough in that mix to do 3 amiga cases, my keys twice (but ended up with the jar method instead) and reapplied with a brush for a full day.
It went from a yellow to an honest cream white. I was stunned tbh.

I had an incident with the keys (as documented in the Retr0bright thread) but they came out fine.

Great work there (y)

<<<<<------- Is very impressed :cool:

Thanks.

play.jpg

An old trinitron + rgb to svideo -> svideo-vga xbox do-hickey. I was suprised how small the 99 is compared to the Amiga. In my memory it is much much bigger.

Back to 4:3 screen again, dont mind the moire effect through the camera :LOL:
screenji.jpg

I had a Sony Trinitron Monitor back in the day, one of the best I've ever owned it was 17in and cost me £300!!!! It was awesome and looks like its perfect for the Amina.

Thats certainly a great Miggy setup you have there, great work (y)

Steve.

Back
Top Bottom