FastATA 4000

Pghulme

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
So I've recently purchased a fast ata 4000 direct from elbox

However am struggling setting it up, it's in my a4000 and can be seen in early boot menu

but how do I get it to boot my hard drive

i already have a hard drive with wb 3.9 installed, which boots fine from the internal ide but I can't get it setup to boot from the fastata. Is there any special software or jumpers or anything I need to do to get it going?

Help as am one step away from just throwing it away

Ok I've got the a1200 ones but should be same
hold down both mouse buttons on cold boot and disable all partitions apart from the first one {boot patition}
Then it should boot you may have to do this twice though.
run setup but be careful don't choose the highest pio mode go for pio 3 first save and reboot!!! Cold reboot.

Last edited:
It doesn't show any partitions, just the floppy drives!

I have one too - sometimes it can play up...

Just hd, or chained cable with CDROM also? Is HD definitely set to 'Master'? What cable are you using?

Any pics? I'll help as much as I can and seeing the setup can help too sometimes... If all else fail, feel free to send it and, as my software is setup working, I can make sure the hardware is without issue.

Good luck!

It's just a standard round ata cable with only 1 drive attached
ill check to see if I have any jumpers on the drive
i use a 2.5" laptop harddrive with a 2.5-3.5 adapter

ill see if another drive works and I'll check jumpers

I bought one from Amibay sold as faulty, and it did the same,

had to setup my HDD through WinUAE to install the fast ATA software on then reinstalled the HDD back into the Amiga and hold the mouse button to get into the fast ata boot menu and change the drive settings to PIO-3 it did not like it when i used 4 or 5

works like a charm now

also it was choosie about which Zorro slot I used, but at the time I just thought that was just because or the RBM towerhawk bus-board installed in my A4000

Yes, they are quite picky, but work very well when setup.

Try to install in top Zorro slot if pos. Make sure the cable is a bog-standard 40- type, as the 80-type (for ATA-100) almost certainly will not work.
If the drive can't be set to 'master', again you can have issues - cable select (which is what it will be set to at the factory if user setup via jumpers is not available) almost certainly won't work.
Any 'adapters' will mean that the signal to/from the ATA could be converted in a form that it will not understand.

Can't remember if it will let you install the software if no disk is attached. But, if you haven't, try it anyway. Install the disk onto your internal IDE - boot into WB and then install the ATA software (make sure the card is attached, of course, eventhough no disk will be attached to it). Then make sure the speed is set to PIO3 (I think it is by default anyway...). You can 'up' this if you manage to get it to work later...

Last edited:
can I ask the Elephant in the room could you post a pic of the way the card is inserted I use the budda and the Tandem it is possible to put them in upside down but as RichyV says top Zorro is the best slot and its where both my cards go in my A3000 and A4000.

Plus having used the A1200 versions latest one I have is the MK3 the PIO thing is a big problem to set it to a low number and work you way up

Last edited:
Hi
ive killed enough zorro cards before :)
its in correct

I use a Zoram in same machine and if the zoram goes below fastata it doesn't boot
so top is zoram then fast ata

after a few PM with timtheloon I've semi got it working
booted into workbench from floppy then ran the fastata pref which shows the card is recognising the hard drive, selected PIO3 and press save (tells me workbench is write protected but am not letting it write any junk to my original floppy) reboot the machine and it boots from the hard drive fine. Then turn machine off and back on again and no boot. Did the same process again with fastata software, and works again. Power off and same thing no boot.

- - - Updated - - -

Also whilst am here I have a cyberscsi for my cyberstorm which is faster, fastata or cyberscsi?

Back
Top Bottom