GVP A1208 with 8Mb + PCMCIA CF

Witcher1979

Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk
Hey guys

I had an issue with my GVP A1208 with 8Mb and FPU running at 33 mhz allowing the PCMCIA CF card to read as it had 8meg. The board has a jumper to allow for 4meg or taking a simm out. Some smart fellow over at EAB told me to fit a switch on the jumper so I can switch from 4/8meg allowing my CF card to read and then back to 8meg if needed.

Little piccie, its not a great job (first time doing this kind of stuff) But it works great.

Original thread:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=54228

So all I have to do is power down, flip the switch :)

Credit also goes to fitzsteve for helping fix the problem.

I have been switching the power of to flip the switch yes m8. Little scared to try it with power on. :)

I doubt it'd do any permanent damage, but it's guaranteed to confuse the hell out of your miggy if you do it live! It's not really worth risking it, just power off, switch and power on again. It's not like a miggy takes three weeks to boot.

Yeah, you might even get away with doing it during a soft reset. But as you say they are so quick to boot its not worth the risk. Also its only to stick a few files across every now and then. HD is already fully loaded with whdload stuff from when I set it up with E-UAE.

Nice little hack there. :) Hmm... Maybe I could do something similar with the A608.

Heather

Nice little hack there. :) Hmm... Maybe I could do something similar with the A608.

Heather
nice but not sure if i can do that . would this be away of soving my problem with the external scis squiral drive

2. if i cant do that is there some instructions and pictures to help
or would it be better to put 3.0 back in and leave the upgreade till ime more confident. but if i do down grade can any one tell me which chip is workbench rom and which is kickstart. as there isnt a number on either and were not sure which chip goes in which socket.

3 tower amiga do they have pcima problems when using 3.1 i would like to use os 3.5 and now not sure what do next. i was going to buil a tower a1200 but if there is a 3.1 os issue when using 8 meg im slowly going off doing it

4 what do u think of the new commadore 64 on commadoreusa.net and which would computer would u go for.

im thinking about building a tower amiga next

Both chips are the kickstart ROM, divided in ODD & EVEN. You must replace both for a suitable pair. Workbench is the name of the graphical interface (aka GUI). C= misnamed the OS in earlier disks and so they re-named "unofficially" following versions as well.

The correct name for the AmigaOS is INTUITION, but nobody calls it this way.

But I strongly discourage you revert the 3.1 upgrade: the PCMCIA bug is still there on 3.0, but you'll only notice it when accessing something on the PCMCIA port with a RAM expansion with more than 4Mb hooked in.

A tower is just a case to house the A1200 board and let it have more space to another parts, as a full-sized (bigger & cheaper) 3.5" HD, a CD/DVD unit, a Mediator busboard with a video card, LAN, sound and many other more add-ons.

4- CUSA is just selling overpriced black cases to put a soulless pc inside and they are calling it an Amiga. Don't let they fool you.

Back
Top Bottom