PDA

View Full Version : My sons first computer... the Amiga 600

Phipscube
6th August 2010, 20:04
Ever since I pulled my A1200 out of retirement, my 5 year old son (Ziggy) has expressed a keen interest in my hacking adventures and often sits and watches me. He decided that he wanted an Amiga too (that magical age where anything Daddy does is cool).

I thought maybe an A600 would be good for him so I showed him some pictures online of it and asked if he liked the look of it... he said "yeah daddy! its the little boy Amiga!". Ever since then i've been trying to find one in good condition locally (with Danish keys so he can type in Danish too being bilingual).

The other day I found one on QXL.dk which just happened to come with a C64 too, something else I wanted ;) So I got them and thought i'd share some pictures of Ziggy when he got it as he is super happy :) He has been wanting to try painting on the Amiga so luckily it came with Deluxe Paint IV... you can see in the photos that he gets straight onto making a masterpiece :)

There is also a photo of the internals, Ziggy wanted to see inside.. good kid! :)

commodorejohn
6th August 2010, 20:12
Now that's how to raise a kid right. :D

ChrisUnionNJ
6th August 2010, 21:52
Yeah my kids were using C64's,Apple ]['s Amiga's a old XT i had youngest son could get around MS Dos then also got a old mac performa 475 teachers were
amazed how they could jump from PC and mac's..
Now they only use PC's 1 is 28 the other 18 now..

Chris

Phipscube
6th August 2010, 23:07
I'm amazed at how quickly he picked up using it. He loves drawing so he has alot of interest. He also likes typing... but doesn't want to play any games! :D It came with a box full of disks, i've been playing some and he just wants to watch. :)

cosmicfrog
6th August 2010, 23:14
Kewl, Great and many happy ribbits :thumbsup::ninja::)

Skilgannon
7th August 2010, 00:31
Hi Phipscube (http://www.amibay.com/member.php?u=2206) - that's awesome and thanks for sharing. My daughter (9 now) loves my retro fascination and loves the fact that I used to be into these old computers an could use them for more than games.

My daughter - like your son is into drawing and making the computer do stuff rather than just play games (although she is a gamer too) and she knows that I did some game graphics when I was younger and thinks that was cool! LOL

They'll grow out of it (or be shamed into growing out of it by their peers) so take good advantage of it now :)

Other folks on here have wee stories of sharing their "hobby" with their kids and it really is heartening that the kids want to get involved. My daughter was fascinated by the TV series on BBC earlier this year (or late last year) that showed a family having to live with technology from different years. If you can get a hold of it - I'm sure your son will love it!

Cheers

John

Phipscube
7th August 2010, 21:14
Kewl, Great and many happy ribbits :thumbsup::ninja::)

Thanks for the happy ribbits cosmicfrog, Ziggy thinks your funny and wonders if you are a real frog? ;)

Hi Phipscube (http://www.amibay.com/member.php?u=2206) - that's awesome and thanks for sharing. My daughter (9 now) loves my retro fascination and loves the fact that I used to be into these old computers an could use them for more than games.

My daughter - like your son is into drawing and making the computer do stuff rather than just play games (although she is a gamer too) and she knows that I did some game graphics when I was younger and thinks that was cool! LOL

They'll grow out of it (or be shamed into growing out of it by their peers) so take good advantage of it now :)

Other folks on here have wee stories of sharing their "hobby" with their kids and it really is heartening that the kids want to get involved. My daughter was fascinated by the TV series on BBC earlier this year (or late last year) that showed a family having to live with technology from different years. If you can get a hold of it - I'm sure your son will love it!

Cheers

John

Hi skilgannon (John), yeah I will take your advice :) I will be quite sad the day he thinks i'm not so cool anymore, its such a nice feeling having the little man look up to me in everything I do.

I didn't really think he would be that bothered about the old Amiga, I have a PS3 that I play alot too and he hasn't been so bothered about that, he does enjoy watching me play sometimes though. I bought Lego Starwars and Eyepet which he will play with me for 5 or 10 minutes, but then thats it.

With the Amiga though, he has great interest in what i'm doing. Maybe its all my fond stories of days gone by with my old Miggy :) Well, I do hope this little old A600 starts him on a path that will lead to something more for him in the future.

I saw a few episodes of that TV series, I'd like to find them online somewhere as I agree, I think he would enjoy it.

Thanks for your nice words John :)

Cheers!

Les

commodorejohn
7th August 2010, 21:40
I didn't really think he would be that bothered about the old Amiga, I have a PS3 that I play alot too and he hasn't been so bothered about that, he does enjoy watching me play sometimes though. I bought Lego Starwars and Eyepet which he will play with me for 5 or 10 minutes, but then thats it.

With the Amiga though, he has great interest in what i'm doing. Maybe its all my fond stories of days gone by with my old Miggy :) Well, I do hope this little old A600 starts him on a path that will lead to something more for him in the future.
I'm sure your reminisces have something to do with it, but if your boy is anything like I was at that age, the lure of the computer probably has a lot to do with the fact that he can make it do something. A video game you can play through, but a paint program or a BASIC interpreter can make the computer a canvas to do whatever you want on.

AmiNeo
8th August 2010, 06:17

I'm sure your reminisces have something to do with it, but if your boy is anything like I was at that age, the lure of the computer probably has a lot to do with the fact that he can make it do something. A video game you can play through, but a paint program or a BASIC interpreter can make the computer a canvas to do whatever you want on.

Yes, I was exactly the same at his age although I loved the games too, I enjoyed loading them up as much as playing them lol.
I had a ZX Speccy and a C64 when I was 4 and 5 respectively.

When I was about 9 I started pulling things apart and inspecting their innards then attempting to put them back together.

Aged 10 I had a friend who had a Miggy 600 and I loved it. So I begged and got one for xmas that year :lol:

I am now a CompTIA and M$ certified IT tech at age 25, have sucessfully completed CISCOs CCNA networking course and I'm still fondly learning. :coffee:
My fondness for all things computer has grown with me. Although nothing today quite feels like it used to... Your son has great taste :lol:

Xanxi
8th August 2010, 14:30
Great pictures! Really cool amiga boy:)

Phipscube
8th August 2010, 17:54

I think what you said hit the nail on the head. With games he gets a bit annoyed when it doesn't do what HE wants it to do. When I watch him painting in real life and now on the Amiga I see how he has control, he's proud and shows me all his work, he has talent and keen interest.

He took to the mouse straight away and was clicking on the icons to see what cool patterns he could make. The thing that he loved was that instead of just drawing a line, he could quickly make imagery with shapes and colours with the Amiga, that drew him in. Now I need to find a permanent place to put the A600 as he is craning his poor neck to use it on our wall mounted TV. The dilemma is my wife doesn't think he is old enough to have a "TV" in his bedroom.

Yes, I was exactly the same at his age although I loved the games too, I enjoyed loading them up as much as playing them lol.
I had a ZX Speccy and a C64 when I was 4 and 5 respectively.

When I was about 9 I started pulling things apart and inspecting their innards then attempting to put them back together.

Aged 10 I had a friend who had a Miggy 600 and I loved it. So I begged and got one for xmas that year :lol:

I am now a CompTIA and M$ certified IT tech at age 25, have sucessfully completed CISCOs CCNA networking course and I'm still fondly learning. :coffee:
My fondness for all things computer has grown with me. Although nothing today quite feels like it used to... Your son has great taste :lol:

I was always a gamer, I tried to program in Blitz Basic but just couldn't grasp it. I loved my Miggy because it had awesome games so when I see Zig doing creative things straight away I do wonder if he will be able to do what I couldn't. I'm a hardware guy myself. Give me a circuit board and i'm happy :D but software is where its at nowadays so I dunno, maybe my little man will end up being a crazy good graphic designer!

Great pictures! Really cool amiga boy:)

Cheers Xanxi, he looks very happy doesn't he :)

fitzsteve
9th August 2010, 00:07
Thanks for sharing, your Son looks very happy with his little A600 reminds me of myself when I got my Spectrum 48k :)

Steve.

Kin Hell
9th August 2010, 12:00
You know the saying....

"Like Father, like Son".

Awesome stuff. :thumbsup:

Kin

Phipscube
1st February 2011, 09:13
Hi Folks! Well Ziggy got something the other day to put in his A600: -

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_fdR0Byi9CIY/TUe7CPcgGkI/AAAAAAAABBc/LVe1dzLXFuk/s640/30012011890.JPG

An ACA630/25 :D !!!!

I had also ordered a few other things for him: -

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_fdR0Byi9CIY/TUe7BqqkMjI/AAAAAAAABBY/2-1H-g6wCCs/s640/30012011889.JPG

A CF Adapter and 3.1 Rom :)

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_fdR0Byi9CIY/TUe7CaFHSiI/AAAAAAAABBg/toth6KY35Bk/s640/30012011891.JPG

He wanted to upgrade it himself! (I loosened the screws for him)

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_fdR0Byi9CIY/TUe7Csqe4bI/AAAAAAAABBk/LmNbVfzML5U/s640/30012011892.JPG

I did the IDE cable, he pushed in the 3.1 ROM (well so far, I gave it a last click)

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_fdR0Byi9CIY/TUe7C2w9XeI/AAAAAAAABBo/FG3wwB9Iwio/s640/30012011893.JPG

In goes the ACA! He liked the shape of it "Looks cool" he said :)

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_fdR0Byi9CIY/TUe7DWLmLnI/AAAAAAAABBs/5w52rwM0h68/s640/30012011894.JPG

Sticking the CF adapter down with some double sided sticky pads

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_fdR0Byi9CIY/TUe7DvaNivI/AAAAAAAABB0/PfBBO3_LtwQ/s640/30012011895.JPG

So there we are! :)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_fdR0Byi9CIY/TUe7DwD6QMI/AAAAAAAABB4/4LMAsxTWfQ0/s640/30012011896.JPG

I wanted to load up the HDD, he didn't... just wanted to try DPaint to see how much more frames of animation he could get. Lets just say its more than the 10 he could do with 1 Meg :) He was also impressed at the speed of the pen and filling etc. (Later on when he was asleep I put a vanilla 3.1 install on his HDD for now) :)

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_fdR0Byi9CIY/TUe7E5Xor_I/AAAAAAAABCE/YGJkwHNsWZg/s640/31012011901.JPG

He is pretty verse with the various tools now, here he is zoomed in making patterns :)

I plan to get him an A603 soon too, just to give him that extra bit of Chip Mem.

Thanks for looking :thumbsup:

chiark
1st February 2011, 09:24
Fantastic :D

He looks like his dreams have come true in the first picture, which is smashing ;)

Phipscube
1st February 2011, 09:35
Fantastic :D

He looks like his dreams have come true in the first picture, which is smashing ;)

Hehe! Yeah, he was asking me every day "has it come yet?" all last week when I told him i'd ordered it. He was well chuffed when it finally arrived. I just need to convince him that using a HDD is cool... he loves the Floppy disks! Luckily D Paint loads ok, but he also likes Zool and Lemmings games but both of them kinda make the drive go GNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN and not load with the ACA on. I need to install a switch I think for when he decides to load games off floppy. I'll get WHDLoad running on his CF HD and show him how cool it can be :)

mfilos
1st February 2011, 09:43
Les my friend, Ziggy is da man for this Miggy :)
Awesome photos and really nice way to treat your son \o/
Thanks for sharing this!!!

/proud

fitzsteve
1st February 2011, 09:59
Awesome stuff, Ziggy looks well pleased :thumbsup:

Once you get Maprom and ACATune going things will really speed up :cool:

chiark
1st February 2011, 10:03
Floppies are understandable, and tactile... They're physical media in the generation of downloads, so it's fantastic that he wants to use 'em.

I dug my old record player out last week and showed the kids: they were slightly aghast that music could be listened to like that, and that if they jumped the record would skip :) . Still, the ghostbusters picturedisc was a firm favourite, and was recorded onto my macbook, edited to remove the crackles and saved as an MP3 for their ipods...

I might have to let them loose on the 500 and 600... Just to see their mother's face ;)

Just noticed the furniture: kids the world over all have that stuff from Ikea - it's brilliant :D

Phipscube
1st February 2011, 11:44
Les my friend, Ziggy is da man for this Miggy :)
Awesome photos and really nice way to treat your son \o/
Thanks for sharing this!!!

/proud

Cheers Marios mate! :D He is super happy :) I told him way back at the beginning of December that I was going to get and accelerator for him (he'd actually asked why I have one in my 1200 and not him.. Now i'm just waiting for him to notice the other extra bits and start asking for them too! ..hahaha!).

Awesome stuff, Ziggy looks well pleased :thumbsup:

Once you get Maprom and ACATune going things will really speed up :cool:

I'm going to get a really cool HD setup going for the little man, I wasn't gonna bother with ACATune though, I heared rumblings that its not too good with WHDLoad??

Floppies are understandable, and tactile... They're physical media in the generation of downloads, so it's fantastic that he wants to use 'em.

I dug my old record player out last week and showed the kids: they were slightly aghast that music could be listened to like that, and that if they jumped the record would skip :) . Still, the ghostbusters picturedisc was a firm favourite, and was recorded onto my macbook, edited to remove the crackles and saved as an MP3 for their ipods...

I might have to let them loose on the 500 and 600... Just to see their mother's face ;)

Just noticed the furniture: kids the world over all have that stuff from Ikea - it's brilliant :D

Yeah its great that he likes the disks, when I showed him the CF HDD he was quite silent and unimpressed, even when I told him it was the same as having thousands of Floppies in one. I think with kids his age something physical and BIG is more impressive :) And he loves the drive sounds, he feels like its doing something, even though he is sat waiting. he also knows exactly what to press as it loads now too.

Cripes yeah! Good old Vynyl :D Its quite scary to think CD's are going that way too. I've got my lad using CD's and even tapes. I've got some old Transformers cassette story tapes and books from when I was a kid, he loves sitting in his room busy playing and listening to them things :) Oh, and he likes Michael Jackson to the point where we got him a capone hat (My wife found her old "Bad" tape last summer in our storeage room clearout).... if you catch him sneakily, he does little dances infront of the mirror, we've sent him off to dance school actually, seems like he's got his dads talent there too, only better! :D

Do it mate! The kids will have a laugh!

And yeah IKEA is ace! each box has a "theme" in it, so it was supposed to promote easy tidying, but he still pulls them all out in one go, and the wife still crams them full of random toys and gets him really annoyed. I think she does it on purpose so I have to tidy up "properly" :D

jvdbossc
1st February 2011, 11:49
Aah that is nice! I was quite a bit older when I first saw an A 600 - but it where inmpressive machine. I think youre son has the right age for it - later he will wan't to chat, use the internet a lot, etc, then the A600 can go back to daddy:D

Phipscube
1st February 2011, 20:25
Aah that is nice! I was quite a bit older when I first saw an A 600 - but it where inmpressive machine. I think youre son has the right age for it - later he will wan't to chat, use the internet a lot, etc, then the A600 can go back to daddy:D

Hehe! Yeah I think he will soon move along onto something more modern once peer pressure kicks in, but for now i'm very happy he appreciates it :)

jvdbossc
1st February 2011, 21:11
My 4 year old is getting the hang of the C64 games. Nice, he will need to move on as well :)

Geraldine
1st February 2011, 21:12
Great pictures! :) But I hope you are wrong about him wanting to move onto other platforms! If the miggy bug bites you early enough anything can happen. After all, :unsure:................ look what happened to us! :lol:

Hey, maybe he will be asking you for a 4000T in the future......:cool:

jvdbossc
1st February 2011, 21:48
yeah, but in those day's I had several problems with pc's like cga screen, no sound card etc.; Not hard to like Amiga then:) But that is my opinion this is not my thread:ninja:

Great pictures! :) But I hope you are wrong about him wanting to move onto other platforms! If the miggy bug bites you early enough anything can happen. After all, :unsure:................ look what happened to us! :lol:

Hey, maybe he will be asking you for a 4000T in the future......:cool:

salaxi54
1st February 2011, 22:27
Nice stuff mate, a real joy to see youngsters enjoying the Amigas!
Tomorrow's technology is still enjoyable! :thumbsup:

Phipscube
16th April 2011, 14:01
Here's another update as to what's been happening with this lovely A600. I have been getting a bit carried away (As I do) and adding a plethora of bits for the kid. He's been bugging me to get the HDD working with games too so I've put aside my A1200 for the last few weeks to get all this done for him :)

I got him an A603 Chip RAM expander the other month :-

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_fdR0Byi9CIY/Talxow_E1lI/AAAAAAAABSc/8Q8E9kvcD30/s640/04032011035.JPG

Mainly because I wanted to get his machine running with VGA and you need an A603 to do this with the Indivision ECS, which I bought him a few weeks ago: -

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_fdR0Byi9CIY/TalxrRy_16I/AAAAAAAABSg/h6w763p8B9g/s640/08042011249.JPG

But there is a dilemma, he wants to keep his floppy drive inside, the Indi doesn't allow for this so... lets get hacking! :D out with the sockets! : -

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_fdR0Byi9CIY/TalxsjI15KI/AAAAAAAABSk/ZVG4lVw7A00/s640/08042011250.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_fdR0Byi9CIY/Talxu03_rgI/AAAAAAAABSo/2m3Vii9qLcU/s640/08042011251.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_fdR0Byi9CIY/TalxwPrc8kI/AAAAAAAABSs/eQ6cDwgTymY/s640/08042011252.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_fdR0Byi9CIY/TalxzOSHjBI/AAAAAAAABSw/fl4NdrqwUcM/s640/08042011253.JPG

And now to start relocating the Indi :-

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_fdR0Byi9CIY/Talx1S7RqBI/AAAAAAAABS0/8po2A-3HprE/s640/08042011254.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_fdR0Byi9CIY/Talx4hJadoI/AAAAAAAABS4/wXGj6_-Bp3w/s640/08042011255.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_fdR0Byi9CIY/Talx6UD9zKI/AAAAAAAABS8/ntdjqVhvk84/s640/08042011256.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_fdR0Byi9CIY/Talx81YP-jI/AAAAAAAABTA/L8_ma0IvuxE/s640/08042011257.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_fdR0Byi9CIY/Talx_d8O6eI/AAAAAAAABTE/RnlK8IkeovE/s640/08042011258.JPG

All in an wired up: -

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_fdR0Byi9CIY/TalyBFJZ4vI/AAAAAAAABTM/GQQEqvd9ShM/s640/08042011262.JPG

Floppy fits in great!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_fdR0Byi9CIY/TalyC7dRAkI/AAAAAAAABTQ/BhTdhUntRXo/s640/08042011263.JPG

I took out the RF modulator and gave the casing a bit of work, then popped the VGA header out the back : -

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_fdR0Byi9CIY/TalyEaehYhI/AAAAAAAABTU/aLk-bPxxpQI/s640/11042011271.JPG

I made a DUAL ROM from a 27C800 copying Marios' awesome work with a Dual switching setup that disables the ACA630. Its got 1.3 and 3.1 on there. In 3.1 mode it has the ACA enabled and it boots straight to CF HDD (Classic WB) then when switched over it works in 1.3 mode and disables the ACA. Now all those old floppy games run brilliantly : -

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_fdR0Byi9CIY/TalyKxjZmaI/AAAAAAAABTo/KTJ-VhQYKSw/s640/11042011274.JPG

The purple wire goes from pin 1 on the ROM to the switch, the brown wire is ground (for 1.3) Orange is +5V through a 4.7K resistor (3.1) the blue and white wires go to the disable pin on the ACA630: -

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_fdR0Byi9CIY/TalyIMeBPyI/AAAAAAAABTc/TFAnXFV5DFs/s640/11042011273.JPG

Side shot: -

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_fdR0Byi9CIY/TalyGpn8peI/AAAAAAAABTY/wEoGNV3xJrI/s640/11042011272.JPG

Here she is in 1.3 mode: -

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_fdR0Byi9CIY/TalyMBgvIyI/AAAAAAAABTs/EurjEWgu5IU/s640/16042011293.JPG

And in 3.1 booting into Classic WB: -

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_fdR0Byi9CIY/TalyNcqR7bI/AAAAAAAABTw/qPDwm8JiigY/s640/16042011294.JPG

close up to see the details : -

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_fdR0Byi9CIY/TalyPXO2VII/AAAAAAAABT0/-13VJQ0dGNA/s640/16042011295.JPG

I've enabled scanline mode which works great for the old games on the VGA screen, but for some reason I can't move the screen position in the Indi ECS config program, so if you look closely you'll see the screen is offset to the left and up a bit. Would be nice to know how to solve this and get it centred (without having to use the VGA screens positioning menu).

Anyway, i'm now currently getting to grips with WHDLoad and starting to fill the disk up with all that classic goodness. I must say I really enjoy using this machine on classic WB, very simple compared to my beastly A1200 :)

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

fitzsteve
16th April 2011, 14:15
Lookin' awesome Les :thumbsup:

Great job on the Indi ECS hackery :bowdown:

Have you tried overscan for the screen layout? Problem is with ECS it slows things down a little.

Steve.

tokyoracer
16th April 2011, 15:51
Damn thats a real nice mod there mate. :thumbsup:

Phipscube
16th April 2011, 16:05
@tokyoracer, cheers mate!

@steve

I tried overscan mate, but the problem is i'm still missing the screen where you can see the black borders to the right and above and below. I can overscan all I like within that space, those borders are still there. I think the problem has something to do with how the Indi is displaying itself. It did this before I hacked it too so its not been broken with my madness :) Whats odd is that with the Indi config software there is a position shifting ability, but it doesn't seem to work for me. I tried HighGFX mode and the screen was positioned perfectly as 1024 x 768 is the screens native res (it just ran dog slow and crashed after 5 mins). So it could just be the monitor having issues with the output, its just odd that it doesn't have problems from my Indi AGA.

The exact same screen mode on my A1200 is centred nicely, it has the same amount of borders around the sides but its in the middle. I think I wont worry too much about it as it could just be the monitor. I need to get the lad a new screen anyhoo because the LCD TV he has seems to be one of those that only accepts VGA at 640 x 480 max which is utter pants. When I plug the A600 in from VGA its a big mess and it says "unsupported". I've been looking for a nice white monitor for my A1200 and found something quite nice on the other bay with built in speakers, it appears the guy has two so maybe I can strike a deal :)

Edit: -

Ok I just RTFM properly this time and noticed it says you can't change the screen position until you select "user" on in the config, just done that and now i've positioned the viewable screen in the centre HAHA! i'm such a n00b :D

mfilos
17th April 2011, 01:48
Awesome mod!!! Damn I so much envy your l33t skills for doing such elegant hacks :)
I'd love that hack to my spare A603+Indy :)

Phipscube
17th April 2011, 10:56
Cheers Marios mate :) If you do decide to give it a hack, then try and take the sockets off how I did, don't use solder pump or braid, it will wreck the tracks, they seem quite delicate esp on the A603. Just add new solder to each pin, then carefully heat each pin and push it out gently, you'll have the sockets off in no time. The wiring bit is quite easy, its one to one, just time consuming cutting and stripping :cool:

WhoShotMrWhite
19th May 2012, 13:14
this is freekin' awesome!!! :)

LOOM
19th May 2012, 14:01
Even with the 's! It's harder and harder to find old nordic machines these days! Great find! :)

moijk
19th May 2012, 16:28
Even with the 's! It's harder and harder to find old nordic machines these days! Great find! :)

I'm glad i got a norwegian 500, 600 and a 1200. Still looking for a Norwegian 4000 keyboard :)

Slayer
20th May 2012, 06:25
I think I posted in a similair thread regarding my sons interest in my Amigas. He was 2 then and I had an expanded B2000. I looked at him one day and said you need your own Amiga son, you want far too much time on mine! LOL

So I brought him a 1084, a A500+, an external disk drive, a half meg expansion and of course an A590 with 2 megs onboard. Through the years he eventually moved to an A1200.

The beauty of this story is I got all the Amiga stuff back in the end!

Now he has started his own web page design company, works in my Accountancy business with my wife (he ended up majoring in finance) as well and programs in Java and PHP etc a very bright lad indeed with a huge skill set... hmm, he'll be 24 the end of this year...

He's recently built a custom PC running an OC 4.3 cpu with some crazy water cooling solution with some top of the line RGB monitor...

Moral of the story, get your babies a cpu early on ;-)

p.s. He was great at self moderating his activities on the A500, he'd play games and finish them but he also did drawing and loved the spelling and maths programs... well balanced I say!

Paul_s
20th May 2012, 10:26
hmmm your son looks like he will be the next Andy Warhol with all the Deluxe Paint.

Just need to draw Debbie Harry next :D

'retro' gear is perfect for kids as most if not all games/applications are pretty innocent/harmless fun compared to the mindless crap churned out today.

Phipscube
21st May 2012, 11:12
He's still using the A600. Plays more games now too. Also types with wordsworth (good practice for spelling etc) And he still likes Deluxe Paint. Infact he's asked for me to upgrade it to an A1200 as he has found out he can have more colours with a 1200. Problem is, he said he wants one like mine! :double

mfilos
21st May 2012, 12:23
...Problem is, he said he wants one like mine! :double

L O L

That was indeed an epic requirement :)

Paul_s
21st May 2012, 14:47
He's still using the A600. Plays more games now too. Also types with wordsworth (good practice for spelling etc) And he still likes Deluxe Paint. Infact he's asked for me to upgrade it to an A1200 as he has found out he can have more colours with a 1200. Problem is, he said he wants one like mine! :double

haha, looks like you'll be degrading down to the A600 then. :lol:

80sFREAK
21st May 2012, 15:51
Awesome story:D

af1
22nd May 2012, 13:27
My 3 year old is obsessed with the iPad oops

Phipscube
24th May 2012, 09:17
@Marios, I've told him I can do something similar. Something I would make now i've already made my uber PPC and realised the PPC part of it is pretty useless! :D

I'm settled in OS3.9 and most of the things I do are 68K/AGA.

So I will make him a nice tidy A1200/060 (I have a spare rev 6, so can rocket it to 80MHz) with an Indi MKII, some kind of IDEfix solution (hope to hear about IC's SATA adapter soon?) CD/DVD drive and HDD. I think this will be a great Amiga for the lad!

I've told him it will be better than mine in some ways, especially 68k speed!

Speaking of ipad, He also loves my android phone, likes to pinch it and play "where's my Water?" ATM :)

Phipscube
12th April 2015, 23:06
Today I passed this old Amiga 600 onto my Daughter who is now 5 years old, wow how time flies. But she is now very happy and what is the first thing she wants to do? draw "pretty things" in Deluxe paint! :)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GR0t4cxUvkQ/VSqmUZtu8pI/AAAAAAAAskM/358CGHGtk9Y/w957-h538-no/DSC_0321.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-3JGWEN2XsME/VSqmtE_vMcI/AAAAAAAAskY/9nmLKaGg2ew/w957-h538-no/DSC_0322.JPG

Ziggy who is now 9, still plays his Amiga too. he has an A1200 now with an 030. Never bothered with the 060 as this machine does all he wants. Which ended up being to play just games! :D He has a PS3 and a PC now too and loves building worlds in Minecraft. (He also loves old G1 Transformers... like me!)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-D7wiKOlCNwc/VGd29XKESVI/AAAAAAAAnbo/KfAAW9x2ENM/w957-h538-no/DSC_0001.JPG

johnim
12th April 2015, 23:12
Thats flew by mate nice to see the miggy passed down and younger generations still loving it

Phipscube
13th April 2015, 09:56
Yeah its crazy John, time flies. That A600 has been great. Ziggy got all nostalgic when he saw it. Was eager to help his little sister..... But she wouldn't let him, haha! Little miss bossy :-)

slk486
13th April 2015, 13:17
Awesome that your kids grow up on Amiga in these times. Lucky them :)

Phipscube
13th April 2015, 19:28
Hey m8! Are you at the Amiga meetup on Saturday with Troels? Me and Ziggy will be there :) He is bringing his A1200.

Xanxi
13th April 2015, 19:37
Great thread!

Phipscube
13th April 2015, 20:49
Selma was eager to play again today :) here is what she created (I helped her fill the colours): -

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-cQ5DQkQI0fU/VSvp3Rcxx6I/AAAAAAAAsnc/22WotIV31ZE/w958-h539-no/2015-04-13.jpg

Then she wanted to try a game "with no baddies, I don't like baddies" .... so I chose Dragon tiles :)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-puuXz2aB_nU/VSvifTEOUyI/AAAAAAAAsm0/XHdexFkgRg0/w957-h538-no/DSC_0323.JPG

She really enjoyed it! And got quite excited when she found a matching pair she could click and they vanished. Using the mouse already very well too, I helped her when it hit the edge of the mat a bit :)

I'm really glad the old A600 is getting some more love!

commodorejohn
14th April 2015, 15:27
Adorable :)

edd_jedi
14th April 2015, 15:58
Great to see, and actually one of the reasons I still have an Amiga and SNES. When I have children I don't want them to go without, but I'm also not having them browsing the internet or playing modern games like COD until they're at least young adults. With an old computer without net access they can be creative and learn computing, while still being safe.

Phipscube
15th April 2015, 09:00
Great to see, and actually one of the reasons I still have an Amiga and SNES. When I have children I don't want them to go without, but I'm also not having them browsing the internet or playing modern games like COD until they're at least young adults. With an old computer without net access they can be creative and learn computing, while still being safe.

Yeah I agree. And my daughter did ask if she can do video chat with her friend. When I said not really as the Amiga didnt have wifi and wasnt able to even go on the Internet she looked a little puzzled and said, 'but how does it work without wifi?' I explained giving reference to 'when I wer a lad' somewhere. She found it funny :-)

ali-b
15th April 2015, 13:00
this thread is so full of win. my son is 3 right now and i hope to get him interested in my hobby too, but think he's already "tainted" by tablets and modern gaming...

we were at a friends place recently and they have a boy just 6 months older than him but is already fully immersed in PS3/4 gaming and totally addicted to marvel lego, to the point of shouting KILL! KILL! KILL! at the TV... :( a freaking 4 year old....

hopefully i can salvage something before it's too late ;)

Bryce
15th April 2015, 13:07
I gave my son (3) an Amstrad CPC6128 to play with, but it still didn't get him away from my scope. I'll have to try an Amiga, otherwise I'll get nothing fixed :D

Bryce.

Phipscube
16th April 2015, 07:41
Ali-b, give it a try, my son plays all sorts, tablet, phone, 3ds, vita, ps3... And still goes to his amiga for a go on Zool, superfrog, chips challenge etc. He likes playing P.c.genjin on my pc engine too.

Bryce, haha, thats great! Must be the funky sine wave he enjoys looking at and manipulating with the twiddly knobs :-) but thats fantastic that he prefers the tools :-)

Bryce
16th April 2015, 09:19
The device on top is an old function generator. He can already set it up to display a sine wave on the scope and then plays with the horizontal, vertical scales and the frequency as "his game". He spends hours at it if I let him.

Bryce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phipscube
16th April 2015, 13:23
Like father, like son :-)

commodorejohn
16th April 2015, 15:58
A synthesizer freak in the making! ;D

Bryce
16th April 2015, 17:04
A synthesizer freak in the making! ;D

His favorite in sine wave, then triangular. He's not a big fan of square waves :D

Bryce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

commodorejohn
16th April 2015, 20:05
Ah, but if you filter 'em down...

Bryce
17th April 2015, 10:29
I'll suggest that to him next time :D

Bryce.