Will this card work as Fast Ram for A600?

I think it will work like a 4MB CF card in a PCMCIA adapter, i.e. pretty useless in an Amiga. So I wouldn't count on it. SRAM cards are usually more expensive.

As demo says this would just be prepared as storage space, you need SRAM

I recommend anyway better option one of Kipper2k's Fast Ram boards (sure I saw one for sale on here in the last few days) or a ACA620 which are great little cards

Last edited:
I can agree on the ACA620 - I have one and it is a nice little thing if you just want a bit more memory and speed.

Kipper's fast ram boards can be somewhat tricky to install and get working. I have a 4MB one that I never got to work 100% in my 600. It crashes after a while and I think it is due to a bad connection between the CPU and the socket as it heats up. I replaced the socket with a replacement I got from Kipper2k that seats a little better and it improved the stability but still wasn't 100%, so I finally gave up on it. The ACA620 works flawlessly though in the same 600. Now it has a Vampire 2 installed which also has no problems but I think it also uses a better socket which sits more tightly on the CPU. If Kipper2k is still assembling new fast ram boards today, he might use the same socket as he uses on the Vampire boards though so they might work better now.

OK thanks guys yes as demolition said I also gave up on kipper2ks 8mb board as it kept snapping off and crashed all the time so I was looking for a pcmcia solution. But sram cards are so blooming expensive! I didn't know the newer kipper2k boards had better sockets so I might re investigate that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My fast ram board also kept falling off the CPU even after I sanded down the socket as far as possible. I have no such problems with the Vampire 2 board which takes some force to pull off (I have still fixed it in place with the stand-offs though).

I you are able to replace the socket yourself (not a beginner's job - takes the right equipment and skills), perhaps Kipper2k could just ship you a new socket.

Last edited:
AH, nice one mate thanks I didn't know about those two! I have bought from lotharek before he makes some really nice stuff.

I didn't want to say that "You (really) have this SRAM PCMIA expansion" but "There is this SRAM PCMIA expansion"!

I didn't want to say that "You (really) have this SRAM PCMIA expansion" but "There is this SRAM PCMIA expansion"!

LOL, OK no problem thanks for pointing that out anyway. I am aware of that expansion and am very much hoping that there will be a release soon.

Back
Top Bottom