PDA

View Full Version : My A1200D =)

fitzsteve
15th August 2010, 01:02
I recently picked up an A1200 from Peter off these board (thanks Peter) :thumbsup:

I didn't think I would have a use for a Desktop A1200 after pimping out my Tower but these desktop A1200's are pretty close to my heart and I couldn't resist when Peters came up being that he is so close by making collection/delivery possible.

With my Tower getting the 060 treatment I have my Blizzard 1230 going spare + SCSI so I thought they would be well placed in the A1200D.

And the damn tower just wont take the FastATA so that too along with my spare DCE Flicker/Scan Magic (if it will fit) are being donated to the A1200D making it a pretty nice little system.

I've only got 3.0 Roms in there but its working fine so, if it ain't broke and all that... The Bliz and FastATA are in and working, the SCSI kit is connected to the SCSI port driving my external CDRW. I've got 64mb on the Bliz and 64mb on the SCSI giving me a whopping 128mb :D

I've installed a 4gb CF card setup with SFS Classic Workbench ADV SP and 3.09gb of WHDLoad'ness :cool:

Here is some Pr0n for you guys =) (More to come if I can fir the DCE in there)

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm105/fitzsteve/IMG_9812.jpg?t=1281821065

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm105/fitzsteve/IMG_9813.jpg?t=1281821065

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm105/fitzsteve/IMG_9814.jpg?t=1281821065

Nice SpeedZ :blink:

---------- Post added 15th August 2010 at 00:02 ---------- Previous post was 14th August 2010 at 22:30 ----------

Wow, the speed from the FastATA is awesome, shame it dosen't work on the Tower. I've attached a little vid of Doom loading and I've never seen it load so fast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U3Kdj4K0pM Enjoy!

Phipscube
15th August 2010, 22:33
That looks great fitzsteve! :) Love those close ups :thumbsup:

I'm thinking about getting a 'clean' A1200 and putting an 030 in with the sole purpose of running WHDload stuff. And the Fast ATA really does fly doesn't it? I still have my MKI but its such an annoying stubborn piece of hardware to get running and its physical mounting causes endless problems with a heavily modded system. So for now its waiting to be possibly used in the same way you have done with yours.

fitzsteve
15th August 2010, 22:39
That looks great fitzsteve! :) Love those close ups :thumbsup:

I'm thinking about getting a 'clean' A1200 and putting an 030 in with the sole purpose of running WHDload stuff. And the Fast ATA really does fly doesn't it? I still have my MKI but its such an annoying stubborn piece of hardware to get running and its physical mounting causes endless problems with a heavily modded system. So for now its waiting to be possibly used in the same way you have done with yours.

Thanks =)

Yes this machine is perfect for WHDLoad! If I just want a quick gaming session this is the one I use, save the 060 for the high end stuff :cool:

And, yeah that FastATA is a beast!

Mad_Cat_jr
15th August 2010, 23:26
Wow, the speed from the FastATA is awesome, shame it dosen't work on the Tower.

Wow Amazing what came out of that kingstone CF. it's not that fastest card, so maybe with a sandisk it's even faster.
Maybe you would try it once.

Kin Hell
15th August 2010, 23:33
Steve,

Don't you own a Blizzard with SCSI?

Charlie

fitzsteve
15th August 2010, 23:37
Steve,

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Yeah I've got a SCSI kit, the SCSI is running my external CDRW :) Oh and holding the xtra RamZ...

I was trying out SCSI for HDD with my A4000 and the boot time kills me, becuase of the 3.1 waiting for IDE.

This system boots in about 5 seconds :D

Wow, the speed from the FastATA is awesome, shame it dosen't work on the Tower.

Wow Amazing what came out of that kingstone CF. it's not that fastest card, so maybe with a sandisk it's even faster.
Maybe you would try it once.

I have a Verbetim card which is very fast, maybe I'll try that =)

Kin Hell
15th August 2010, 23:50
Steve,

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Yeah I've got a SCSI kit, the SCSI is running my external CDRW :) Oh and holding the xtra RamZ...

I was trying out SCSI for HDD with my A4000 and the boot time kills me, becuase of the 3.1 waiting for IDE.

<snip> =)

If you put a fast SCSI drive on that rig, you should have a much faster Miggy, what-ever SysInfo tells you on the Drive Speed. SCSI from your Blizzard does not use CPU Cycles. Unfortunately, ....your Fast ATA is. ;)

Try it and do ome real Test like Copy, Read, write files accross the system, from Ram to hard Drive etc. Also note what you can do in the background via Multi-Tasking compared to IDE. ....You should be Impressed. :thumbsup:

Charlie

fitzsteve
15th August 2010, 23:55
Steve,

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

<snip> =)

If you put a fast SCSI drive on that rig, you should have a much faster Miggy, what-ever SysInfo tells you on the Drive Speed. SCSI from your Blizzard does not use CPU Cycles. Unfortunately, ....your Fast ATA is. ;)

Try it and do ome real Test like Copy, Read, write files accross the system, from Ram to hard Drive etc. Also note what you can do in the background via Multi-Tasking compared to IDE. ....You should be Impressed. :thumbsup:

Charlie

Thanks for the advice Charlie, I think I might go SCSI on the A1200T since it would not take the FastATA

I will probably do a SCSI-IDE setup, just waiting for the price to come down on the converters or for a group buy to come up :cool:

Steve.

Kin Hell
16th August 2010, 00:11
Yeah Steve. It's funny this way:!

Everyone raves about CF cards in their Miggy, yet they cant see the Icon Display performance is slaughtered over a 44pin Hard Drive. :|

It's to do with the Cache on the HD. - CF does not have a Cache & therefore, Icons on the WB partition will be slow to load compared to Icons from WB, from a HD.

Even an IBM Micro-Drive is faster on Icon load than a bog standard CF card. - Put SCSI behind it & you are the Master Flyer m8. - Trust meh! ;)

Charlie

fitzsteve
16th August 2010, 00:15
I hear you charly, my A1200T is running off just an Amigakit 4way buffered IDE at the moment and a 2.5in 40gb laptop drive and the icons are instant :thumbsup: But I guess it is driven by an 060!

To be honest I prefer real HDD's over CF, but its such a tidy solution in the A1200D with the cableless adapter I can live with it :)

Steve.

Kin Hell
16th August 2010, 00:39
....& I hear you too m8. CF is a much tidier solution, even if slower in the process.

Best Wishes,

Charlie

rkauer
16th August 2010, 01:14
CF is not that slower than HD.

Thing is it have an almost instant seek time (no moving parts) and no delay in availability (at cold boot).

But in the run an HD is way better, as it is more reliable and the cost per megabyte is very interesting compared to a CF.

Kin Hell
16th August 2010, 01:20
Delay aside rauker, the CF does not have the Cache function & that's a big difference for the Icon Dispay. SysInfo tell lies on true data transfers & you know it. ;)

Charlie

fitzsteve
16th August 2010, 01:28
Its a straight trade off, cache vs. seek time :cool:

I guess they both have their advantages, all I can say is that on an A1200D I like the tidy layout & silent operation of a CF card.

And on a Tower, with noisy fans, etc, well I'm all for the good ol' fashioned hard Drive :thumbsup:

My 2 cents. (Don' spend them all at once as my Dad used to say)

Steve.

Kin Hell
16th August 2010, 01:45
& then forgetting CF or IDE, ....SCSI makes your Amiga Faster. - Game over. :thumbsup:

Kin

Mad_Cat_jr
16th August 2010, 18:57
& then forgetting CF or IDE, ....SCSI makes your Amiga Faster. - Game over. :thumbsup:

Kin

Insert coin and try again.

Zetr0
16th August 2010, 19:44
Managed SCSI with a SSD disk is something to behold my friends!

A while back I had the pleasure to play with a Managed SCSI controller with 32MB of ram on board with i90 scsi controller. This jiggle was plumed up to 2x 32GB SSD in RAID STRIPE.

U360 SCSI (SCSI3) is amazing.

Kin Hell
17th August 2010, 11:07

Kin

Insert coin and try again.

Without SCSI, IDE will hold your CPU back & create a bit of a bottleneck in the Amiga's Multi-Tasking capabilities.

Kin

fitzsteve
8th September 2010, 21:49
Yay, Amigakit rock - my new Keyboard arrived today :D

Superb service as always :thumbsup:

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm105/fitzsteve/IMG_9957.jpg?t=1283975079

Phipscube
8th September 2010, 22:18
She looks lovely Steve :) Its amazing what a new set of clean keys does. I was going to paint my whole machine black and replace my keys with CDTV ones, but my old keyboard was temporamental on the ribbon so decided to buy one from Amigakit and add the black keys to it... when I put it in those gleaming white keys made me change my mind. It would have been such a shame to spoil how nice it looks now.

fitzsteve
8th September 2010, 22:24
Thanks Phipscube, I've always wanted a brand new keyboard, and never got round to it.

I got a scare and thought they were all sold out and PM's Amigakit and they found me one :cool:

This A1200 is getting the Bliz 1260 when my PPC arrives, will never be as awesome as your A1200D but will be pretty high end for a desktop.

I tested with the FastATA and 1260 in this machine and getting 6.5mb/sec off the CF-IDE :D

Steve.

r0jaws
8th September 2010, 22:31
She's a beaut Steve, I sometimes miss the simplicity of my Blizzy 030. It was fast, silent, simple and fun. :)

Phipscube
9th September 2010, 09:27
Thanks Phipscube, I've always wanted a brand new keyboard, and never got round to it.

I got a scare and thought they were all sold out and PM's Amigakit and they found me one :cool:

This A1200 is getting the Bliz 1260 when my PPC arrives, will never be as awesome as your A1200D but will be pretty high end for a desktop.

I tested with the FastATA and 1260 in this machine and getting 6.5mb/sec off the CF-IDE :D

Steve.

The Bliz 1260 is an awesome beast too, and your Tower is going to be a mega beast! Suddenly I have the mental image of the Altered Beast "power up" ditto with the man forming into the beast and kicking ass :D

Thats incredible speeds! Just out of interest, how does the Bliz 1260 run with WHDLoad games? I'm planning to build another clean and simple A1200D at some point when I get back, I was going to stick with a 1230 but if the compatibility is as good or not that much worse, I might try and get a 1260 instead.

fitzsteve
9th September 2010, 09:41

Steve.

The Bliz 1260 is an awesome beast too, and your Tower is going to be a mega beast! Suddenly I have the mental image of the Altered Beast "power up" ditto with the man forming into the beast and kicking ass :D

Thats incredible speeds! Just out of interest, how does the Bliz 1260 run with WHDLoad games? I'm planning to build another clean and simple A1200D at some point when I get back, I was going to stick with a 1230 but if the compatibility is as good or not that much worse, I might try and get a 1260 instead.

Well I've played quite a few WHDLoad games and I've not had any problems, even games like SWOS are running fine on my 060 and thats been reported as problematic.

If you just want it as a WHDLoad machine mate, save your Penny's though and keep pop a Bliz 1230 in there, my problem is I like to do other things, play some tunes, watch those demo's, jump on the net and grab files, mess with the emulators and thats all just a more pleasant experience on the 060 :cool:

Once I've had it up and running for a few weeks I'll update with compatibility.

Steve.

Phipscube
9th September 2010, 21:38
I think initially it will be a WHDLoad machine and then I may decide to do more things with it. I mainly thought it would be good to have the 1260 for some of the more demanding 3D games (such as Alien Breed 3D, Breathless etc) and I do love demos too so thought if the compatibility was still good then I may save a bit longer and go for the 1260. Its all a long way off yet so just a curiosity, I will be getting my crazy A1200D finished off first :) Keep us updated on how well its working mate :)

Cheers!

Les

fitzsteve
10th September 2010, 13:01
So in the hope it makes my PPC arrive faster I've fitted my 060 now in the Desktop and put the screws back! This will make the PPC get here sooner? Surely!

To get round the issue of the angled Simm socket on the Blizzard 1260 I've fitted some bigger feet on the A1200 that I had in my box of bits (its amazing the stuff you can find that you forgot you had!)

And its like they were made to measure, at first I thought about removing the original feet but I didn't want to damage the case, since its a nice example. So the feet are near by th old ones. Luckily, it also still fits under the desk and the Simm does not touch the desk and there is some space for the 060 to breath :thumbsup:

I'm running a matching pair of 60ns 64mb Simms.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm105/fitzsteve/IMG_9959.jpg?t=1284116253

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm105/fitzsteve/IMG_9960.jpg?t=1284116253

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm105/fitzsteve/IMG_9963.jpg?t=1284116253

All in all, very pleased with this little A1200D :cool:

Marc
12th September 2010, 18:07
Has the Blizzard PPC arrived yet?

Amigarobbo
12th September 2010, 18:28

Kin

Do they do a SCSI to CF/flash converter? :unsure:

fitzsteve
12th September 2010, 18:47

Kin

Do they do a SCSI to CF/flash converter? :unsure:

Kind of, well the solution I will use in my Tower is SCSI-IDE converter then CF-IDE with CF card. I'll update my Tower project post once I set this up from the SCSI on my Blizzard PPC when it arrives next week. :cool:

I'm going to run CWB OS3.9 (or maybe stick with my CWB P96) off the Blizzard SCSI and run OS4 off my FastATA :D Reason fot this is because OS4 does not support the SCSI on the Blizzard PPC becuase it is controlled by the 060 CPU.

Steve.

Mad_Cat_jr
12th September 2010, 23:15
Nice mousepad you have Steve:roll:.
Not only your Amiga is retro:cool:

fitzsteve
12th September 2010, 23:22
Nice mousepad you have Steve:roll:.
Not only your Amiga is retro:cool:

Glad you like it mate!

I aint gettin on no plane! Sucka!

fitzsteve
2nd October 2010, 13:31
*updated this on EAB but forgot to here - sorry chaps* :Doh:

I had to replace the motherboard that I broke, thanks to Jimbo I'm now all up and running again and have finally put this back together and put the screws back in the case, she's all working perfect :cool:

Want more pics? Yeah thought so...

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm105/fitzsteve/IMG_0224.jpg?t=1285882383

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm105/fitzsteve/IMG_0225.jpg?t=1285882383

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm105/fitzsteve/IMG_0226.jpg?t=1285882383

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm105/fitzsteve/IMG_0227.jpg?t=1285882383

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm105/fitzsteve/IMG_0228.jpg?t=1285882383

Witcher1979
2nd October 2010, 13:35
WOW she looks impressive m8. Very nice tidy machine.

Did you really really put the screws back in?

:thumbsup:

fitzsteve
2nd October 2010, 13:37
WOW she looks impressive m8. Very nice tidy machine.

Did you really really put the screws back in?

:thumbsup:

Yep she's done and dusted :cool:

Thanks again Mate :thumbsup:

Buzzfuzz
2nd October 2010, 20:24
Yay, Amigakit rock - my new Keyboard arrived today :D

Superb service as always :thumbsup:

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm105/fitzsteve/IMG_9957.jpg?t=1283975079

Yep, I ordered 2 already, and I think number 3 will come soon.
I wish they had it also for the A500 / A600 and also new keyboards for the A2000 / A4000.