Treasurer
Blogger
Rating - 100%
220   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
There's not a lot more to say really except that I'd like something I could afford :LOL:

Dave G 8)

Re: Wanted: Amiga 4000D Graphics Card

Slight update on this - I've unexpectedly now come into a little bit of extra money since I first posted this topic :)

So I'm now on the look out for a graphics card that hopefully is the best option for my needs :roll:

I use my 4000D for both games and serious applications and would like something that would allow me to use a higher resolution for the applications and automatically (hopefully) switch over to a standard resolution for games and the like :D

Dave G 8)

@Davey-G

(i like it.... its got a rinnng to it....) :D

my friend, what you need in that instance is without a doubt a Picasso IV with SD/FF module. this will allow you to ave the screen switching relatively transparent.

However, you could use a setup where you have a simple button to switch between the native display and rtg display, this would open up a fair bit of gfx card opportunity, I would suggest either a Cybervision 64/3d Mk2 or Picasso II, both are very good display cards and well supported.

the Irony... well thinking about it, if you plub for a gfx card, you will still need some way of upscanning...

so why not a cheap rtg card and indivision ? does it work for the a4k ? it would be pretty awesome if it did... put in a simple KVM and job is done

I tihnk thats what I would plumb for, and at the risk of saying, its likely a cheaper option than a PicassoIV with SD/FF module... hmmm

anyway food for thought my friend, good luck on your quest :D

@Zetro

Yes I guessed as much and must admit that until recently I was using a Cyber connected to my PC LCD monitor with an electrical switcher to swap from one to the other. And then using the LCD monitor input switch to flop over to the games output from the 520.

Alex also said something similair on EAB about need a PIV or Cyber.

On reflection - I think I'm going to say that I'm open to offers of cards for renumerational award - but ideally I would like less switching and swapping between outputs.

Dave G 8)

@ Zeets

So does Roast taties & davey, Er,..I mean gravy!

PIV all the way gravy, Er..>Davey! :wink: :mrgreen:

Just been having a re-think about my recent clear out!

You have a PM sir! :wink:

@Kin

Either you're a bit slow with your PM or I'm a bit fast at trying to find it :LOL: :LOL:

Dave G 8)

Slow m8...it's meh age! :p

Either that or all the meed you've been drinking down there :wink:

PM replied to.

Dave G 8)

LOL m8y. It's "Mead" & I cant stand the stuff. Love Wine; Love honey; - But not together in the same glass!

However, nothing wrong with Drinking so much wine, you end up spreading honey all over your gf & have a helluva time thereafter! :shock:

Ya know! :mrgreen:

I'll admit to not knowing how to spell it but I quite like it.

Often got pissed on it at the Meadery in Penzance when we visit your neck of the woods once a year :D :D

Dave G 8)

You'll have to be letting me know next time you're this way! Maybe life's unexpected turns could be in harmony during your visit!
Be a pleasure to buy you a beer! :D

And it would be a pleasure to drink it :LOL:

I'll let you know - won't be until summer - that's if we get one next year :roll:

Dave G 8)

@Zetr0

I would rule out ZorroII cards like Picasso II as these don't accept high resolutions and 2MB are filled too fast. ZorroII bus will choke performance when big amounts of memory are transfered. e.g. when using antialias fonts with AfA or when playing fullscreen animations. Just try out WarpOS Voxel demo on a ZorroII system and compare it to a ZorroIII one and you'll see what I mean.

A GVP Spectrum is as slow as PicassoII but at least takes more advantage of ZorroIII bus. Its blitter is not very fast when you use 16bits on anything higher than 640x480 but it's decent if you have not used a gfx card before. It's definitely better than PicassoII (for me, PicassoII simply "works" and that's all, I would avoid it if I had the chance to choose a Zorro3 card)

I would choose a PicassoIV, RetinaZ3, CV3D (regardless of being mark1 or mark2 as apart from the support of fast-zorro2 memory transfers with Winner Z4 A1200 busboards it seems to use the same memory chips and Virge chip), CV64, Piccolo64... or a PCI busboard. But always using ZorroIII bus.

ZorroII bus is actually slower than AGA for copying memory chunks: games like Doom run faster on AGA than on a ZorroII gfx card. ZorroII cards are OK if you can't choose other option but definitely go for ZorroIII.

CV64 cards with 2MB can be expanded but it's getting harder to find suitable memory. Anyway it's a great card and I prefer it over CV3D.

I've accepted an offer of a PIV from Kin Hell.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice along the way.

Dave G 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom