Apollo 040 Repair

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Hello my fellow AmiBayers,

Today I have a wonderfull story to share with you about repairing an Apollo 040 from the battery leaky grave..

Its starts off when a fellow forum chummy asks if I can take a look at his accellerator card - and true enough its got blue-green fuzzies everywhere. Infact so much so one of the header pins just snapped off from the corrosion.

the Battery indeed leaked, but fortuantely none of the tracks were effected, it had however reacted with the Oscilator port and the F74 memory time latching chip so off these had to go.

(click for super-zoom - caution large image)

Thats a scairy site, as was the clean up.

I removed the items with a combination of Laco high temp liquid solder flux and copperlux - using the Hot Air rework station and my Ayoue 747 Solder sucking station.

after removal of the components I used a combination of spirit vinigar to nutralize the battery leak and then promtly used some pre-diluted car screen wash... all was applied with the handy help of an electric tooth brush.

After a emense clean up - taking a good 25 minutes - I then began to repopulate the card.

So here is what she looks like after replacing the the F74, Headers and removing the battery (acumilator).

To solder the new components I had to remove the old solder on the board as it was horrendous to be honest and full of nasty impurities that would make for a very BAD weld so I used 0.8mm copper braid and lots of my new ECOWAVE flux - this stuff is AWESOME! and can solder as low as 180c - amazing

anyway, using solder on the braid and lots of flux I was able to re-tin the leads and vias of the card ready for replacements.

and heres the back shot

So after all that its now time to test it - Here is the Jig -

Its a 1D.1 motherboard with a simple 512MB compact flash (sandisk) - the LED is just fed to the header and the mousey is plumbed up by the nakid cocolino =)

no need for the keyboard or floppy in this testing - so .... did it work and that effort pay off?

Hell yeah!

She booted showing the 16MB of RAMtasm! I love stories like this, so... lets throw her through some tests -

Ahhaaaaa an 18.2 MIP Muchin' Monstah!!!

And 1.4MB a second from the Native IDE via a slow CF card... wel like that too, one could use SFS instead of FFS in this adapter and improved the speed considerably however, this ClassicWorkbench setup is for any CPU so as SFS is 020 or greater I couldn't use this on my A500 or A600.

I then decided to play a good 40 minutes of Alien Breed Tower Assault AGA - theres no pictures as I was too busy irradicating Alien Scum from the Colony.

So there you have it my fellow AmiBayer's

The above is - job done

First Class Work Zetr0 (y) :bowdown: (y)

Great Pictures as well!!

Back
Top Bottom