IODATA IDSC21E SCSI bridge - this device is not supported by HDToolbox

Megatron-UK

Country
UK
Region
Durham/Newcastle
I'm trying to use a recently acquired IODATA IDSC21E SCSI to IDE bridge to connect my CF card to my Taifun accelerator.... but I'm not getting anywhere with it.

I've tried with both the CF adaptor and an IDE disk, but neither of them will boot. If I instead boot from the CF disk via the motherboard IDE port and add the IDE disk on the IDSC21E, then when I load up HDToolbox I can see an IODATA device hanging off the ematscsi.device chain... unfortunately clicking on it gets the error: "This type of device is not supported by HDToolbox". So there's no way of knowing if the disk is actually there or not.

Has anyone successfully used these IODATA bridges to attach non-optical devices? I'm beginning to think I should have hung on for an Acard AEC-7720 instead.

what os? and which version of HDToolbox are you using bud?

I'm trying to use a recently acquired IODATA IDSC21E SCSI to IDE bridge to connect my CF card to my Taifun accelerator.... but I'm not getting anywhere with it.

I've tried with both the CF adaptor and an IDE disk, but neither of them will boot. If I instead boot from the CF disk via the motherboard IDE port and add the IDE disk on the IDSC21E, then when I load up HDToolbox I can see an IODATA device hanging off the ematscsi.device chain... unfortunately clicking on it gets the error: "This type of device is not supported by HDToolbox". So there's no way of knowing if the disk is actually there or not.

Has anyone successfully used these IODATA bridges to attach non-optical devices? I'm beginning to think I should have hung on for an Acard AEC-7720 instead.

I believe the first rule is don't use HDToolbox, use HDInstTools.

You should be able to get HDInstTools from Aminet, although I'm struggling to find it right now. I can always send you an LhA if needs be.

It's OS3.9 with BB1 and 2. KS 3.1 roms.

The main issue is that my CF card won't boot - the IDE disk was really just a test to see if the thing was actually picking up anything that is attached... which it doesn't appear to.

It's OS3.9 with BB1 and 2. KS 3.1 roms.

The main issue is that my CF card won't boot - the IDE disk was really just a test to see if the thing was actually picking up anything that is attached... which it doesn't appear to.

indeed Andy is correct, the version of HDToolbox makes a big difference, try updating it or take up Andy's kind offer of the LHA file he has :)

OS3.9 has the newer HDTools preperation software, so there should not be a need to change that.

I suspect the fault your having is in the SCSI termination and or Bridge setup.

can you post a pic of the bridge setup I have a setup chart thingy here.

If it's the PDF document, then that's what I used - jumpers 5 (SCSI-2) and 9 (enable termination) are set. No SCSI ID jumpers are set (ID 0). Jumper 8 is also currently set (though it made no difference to being open).

I've also tried with the termination between the two SCSI chains on the accelerator active and inactive (other than a global enable/disable accelerator setting, that's the only jumper on the Taifun). No difference.

There are no other devices on the chain (at the moment).

I've added an image of how the device appears in HDToolbox.

Attachments

• scsi.jpg
    scsi.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 0
  • scsiwb.jpg
    scsiwb.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
@ Megatron-UK

Both the controller and the hard drive will need a SCSI ID set. I would change the SCSI ID on the bridge and see if if makes a difference, as device 0 could be being used by the controller itself. All SCSI devices need an ID, including the controller.

Also, what are Termination and Termination Power options set to on the Taifun? Both ends of a SCSI chain need to be terminated, so they should both be set to on.

I've attached a SCSI CD to the chain as device ID 1, changed the IODATA bridge to device 2 and I still don't get anything useful from it - although the termination must be working ok as I can access the CDROM device.

Has the ide harddrive been set to master and not cable select before connecting it to the bridge? Just throwing that out there.

Yep. Specifically jumpered to master.

I'm beginning to think this is a waste of time. I'll try and find a proper Acard bridge instead (or even a SCSI disk, if I can find one quiet enough).

@megatron,

would you like me to test it for you?

I have a fair bit of experience with this device on many differing Amiga Hardware, I am in the UK so if you just cover return postage then its all good =)

Hit me up on PM if you need any help.

If it's the PDF document, then that's what I used - jumpers 5 (SCSI-2) and 9 (enable termination) are set. No SCSI ID jumpers are set (ID 0). Jumper 8 is also currently set (though it made no difference to being open).

I've also tried with the termination between the two SCSI chains on the accelerator active and inactive (other than a global enable/disable accelerator setting, that's the only jumper on the Taifun). No difference.

There are no other devices on the chain (at the moment).

I've added an image of how the device appears in HDToolbox.

jumper 9 is a 'disable termination' jumper, ie - if you have jumper set it
will disable termination and no jumper is termination enabled.

What firmware have you got on your IODATA bridge? (sticker on the back).
Latest is 1.30.9, if you have below 1.27.x then it's worth updating the firmware

@just an info burst:

To find out and update the adpater firmware you will need a PC with a properly configured ASPI mini-port driver in DOS.

I personally think that this is a configuration problem, but its a case of testing lots of other devices to find out.

I would suggest getting hold of a classic 133ATA UDMA HDD - in the 20GB flavour and try to configure this - should that this work you are away and you know its the CF/HDD

I will say with mine, if the device didn't support UDMA and you had jumpered to do UDMA the device wasn't seen, or in the case of one fushitsu 8GB HDD it corrupted everthing that was written or read from the drive.... all thought... its was a fushitsu.

I don't have any SCSI equipped PC's to do that - the nearest thing I've got are two SGI workstations... I don't think that will work somehow ;)

20GB? Wow, it's a long time since I had a IDE drive that small! There's a stack of 320 and 500GB 3.5" and a couple of 120GB 2.5" drives in my 'spares' corner, but nothing that tiny :D

I'll probably end up buying a Seagate Cheetah 15k4 SCSI drive instead; they're reasonably quiet and pretty common second hand. The IODATA will end up for sale again I guess.

Back
Top Bottom