A1200 "Timing Fix" query

Ricochet76

Country
Australia
Region
Victoria
Hey guys,

Both my A600HD and Escom A1200 are going to my local serviceman for full re-capping tomorrow.

My A1200 is an Escom unit with rev 1D.4 mainboard, which is affected by the following :-

http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/amiga_hacks/A1200_Mobo_fix/a1200_mobo_fix.html

While at the moment I am not running an accelerator in it, I will be buying one in the not too distant future for it and again when the Vampire 1200's are released. So I was wanting to kill two birds with one stone and have the timing fix performed while the board's out of the case getting re-capped.

Which leads me to a pondering question in my mind. If this adjustment is made to the mainboard without an accelerator currently in it. Will it put the timing out of kilter and cause it not to work properly in stock form anymore, as the timing is to suit much faster processors?

Was just a forethought. I want to continue using my A1200 for at least another few months accelerator-less.

Thanks for chiming in!

The timing fix consists of removing two capacitors if they are present on the motherboard. Many boards does not have them and are thus 'fixed' already. Removing them will not cause any problems when running without an accelerator as they caps were never meant to be installed in the final products in the first place. So have them removed and never look back. :)

Back
Top Bottom