PDA

View Full Version : my custom A1200 tower setup

Bamiga2002
24th August 2010, 14:29
At long last i got myself to take some pictures of my tower (mostly for Keropi :D).

Take a looksee: http://www.amibay.com/album.php?albumid=37

I know the pictures aren't perfect, but...pr0n is sometimes blurry & nasty innit ;)

fitzsteve
24th August 2010, 14:45
Lookin' good :thumbsup:

I see you've gone for the old dual screen setup. I'm running mine through and LCD TV, Scart for the Native stuff and Voodoo for the workbench via the VGA input. Must admit, games do look great on a CRT screen though :)

Enjoyed the pics.

By the way, how useable is OS4 on the Blizzard PPC? I guess a PPC is the next logical step up for me at some point in the future...

Steve.

Bamiga2002
24th August 2010, 16:18
Hi fitz! Glad you liked them. Yes i like the good old tv-connected-to-amiga for that special retro-feeling :). I've had a couple of flickerfixers/scandoublers and they haven't delivered the kind of picture i've wanted.

As for OS4.0 i think it's only a curiosity OS for a classic setup, WB31 is faster to use. But i like tinkering with OS4 every now and then just for kicks :p

If you want to enjoy WHDLoad games with your Blizz1260 don't bother getting a BPPC since its chip-access slows some games down. But if you're one of those "maxx-it-all-up" dudes then with a PPC you can enjoy some extra speed in certain situations and play those few ppc-games.

But the 1260 is a good card though, i've had it some years back.

EDIT: i see you already have a perfect WHDLoad-miggy (the 1230 one) so go for BlizzPPC if your heart craves for it!

Harrison
24th August 2010, 16:32
Very nice. Always great to see another A1200 tower conversion and all the extra hardware used to make it that extra bit special.

BTW, what make was the tower case?

I've been wanting to do an A1200 tower conversion for years. I've got spare A1200's, a couple of empty towers that can be used, but just not found the time or real motivation to actually do it. I think my problem is that I'm still finding it fun to fit everything into a standard A1200 case, which keeps it all so compact, neat and portable. My main A1200 currently has a 60GB 2.5 HDD, slim DVD-RW, CF to PCMCIA adapter for easy file transfers, ethernet and blizzard 1230. I think the only point when I will really be motivated to do a tower conversion will be if I want to add PCI cards and maybe if I spot a reasonably priced PPC card in the future and have money to burn at the time. :)

Do you have any more plans for the tower?

fitzsteve
24th August 2010, 16:59
@Bamiga2002

Thanks for the info, I must admit I would love to own a PPC some day :cool:

As you say the A1200D is a perfect machine for those WHDLoad games with the 030 and 4GB CF setup.

I've only recently aquired the 060 though so it will be a while before the next step up!

@Harrison

I never thought I would do a Tower since I was really happy with my Desptop but once I started there was plenty of motivation, mostly once I got the RTG up and running, it was really a WOW moment, but I'll be honest this project does take all your spare money and then some ;)

ChrisUnionNJ
24th August 2010, 21:19
At long last i got myself to take some pictures of my tower (mostly for Keropi :D).

Take a looksee: http://www.amibay.com/album.php?albumid=37

I know the pictures aren't perfect, but...pr0n is sometimes blurry & nasty innit ;)

Is that a standard PC Case you used?

Chris :coffee:

Bamiga2002
26th August 2010, 19:12
Very nice. Always great to see another A1200 tower conversion and all the extra hardware used to make it that extra bit special.

BTW, what make was the tower case?

I've been wanting to do an A1200 tower conversion for years. I've got spare A1200's, a couple of empty towers that can be used, but just not found the time or real motivation to actually do it. I think my problem is that I'm still finding it fun to fit everything into a standard A1200 case, which keeps it all so compact, neat and portable. My main A1200 currently has a 60GB 2.5 HDD, slim DVD-RW, CF to PCMCIA adapter for easy file transfers, ethernet and blizzard 1230. I think the only point when I will really be motivated to do a tower conversion will be if I want to add PCI cards and maybe if I spot a reasonably priced PPC card in the future and have money to burn at the time. :)

Do you have any more plans for the tower?It's always a fun trip to upgrade/add something to the tower, even if it's just a tiny bit of HW :). That's also cool when you try to keep it "desktop" instead of going for a "dull" tower. It's the Mediator that forces to use a tower. Okay and i'm a little lazy to nibble with limited desktop A1200 case...

I could be replacing my standard harddisks to SSD HD's once the price has dropped enough. Also i'd like to paint it Amiga-style with cool amiga-stickers on it to make it distinctive from pc ones. Not to mention tidying the rear side and PPC-side hole to something nicer. Oh and somehow make the tower HD-led display BPPC SCSI activity too. Now the led only displays IDEfix activity.

@Bamiga2002

Thanks for the info, I must admit I would love to own a PPC some day :cool:

As you say the A1200D is a perfect machine for those WHDLoad games with the 030 and 4GB CF setup.The CF-way is cool for being silent. My previous tower was noisy as hell using 10 000rpm SCSI hd's, noisy PPC-fans and noisy PSU. Now PPC has silent fans, PSU is a silent model and replaced SCSI hd's with pretty quiet IDE & SATA ones :shhh:

Is that a standard PC Case you used?

Chris :coffee:Sorry can't remember what was the name/model of the case, but i'm pretty sure it's a PC case, but it's so slim compared to normal ones that it may not be standard. I'll check the tower model when i get myself to find any info label on it.