Workbench CLI command

Witcher1979

Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk
Hey guys

I am looking for away to open a GUI drawer with my programs from the shell command line. I stuck my Programs drawer a little deep into my HD, moving it now will be a pain as I had to set a few assigns for some. I have a program that allows me to add stuff to the right click workbench menus (wb 3.1) so Adding Programs to the top menu which will then open that drawer as gui would be great. So anyway to open a gui drawer (same drawer that opens as if you were clicking dh0: programs etc) from cli?

Thanks for any help

Hi

Thanks :) I already have that running, what I need is the command to actually open the GUI drawer. Anyone know what such a command would be? If my Programs was actually in dh0: a/b/programs drawer. Its not but thats just a rough idea of where it is that I need to open. For all I know just adding the location in the tools menu will do this, but not near the miggy at the moment to test that. I would not think it would work as easy as that though. Also want it to open drawers for WHDload games as in A-Z to the menu, but again would need to get the drawer open.

Cheers

Last edited:
I think Scalos has this feature .... but not sure about plain ol' Workbench.
If you're on OS 3.5 or 3.9, try looking at some of the utilities in the 'Contributions' drawer on the CD, there's some stuff in there and I think there's a command that does what you're after, but not entirely sure as I've not got the CDs to hand at the mo.

Thanks for the reply. may have to give up on this one, its just plain old 3.1 unless I could find something on aminet that adds the feature.... Hmmmmm

Of I go to do a search :)

Thanks again

The only other thing I can think of, is a utility called wbrun
I found this tucked away in some .lha archive ages ago and it was used to run the Commodore FORMAT command to display the GUI as opposed to treating it like a CLI program. It's a long shot, but AmiNet might have it kicking around.

Is there not some way of using Directory Opus to do this?

Looks promising and it doesn't say that you need to use opus to replace your WB - maybe you need to have it running though. I think when you select it to replace WB it does just that but I've only ever used it for it's usefulness in the past - never to replace my WB.

Good luck :)

John

Useless message, as I don't have the answer, but...
Is this something you might be able to do with ARexx?

I never used it much, so I'm not sure...

desiv

I believe there is a function for doing excatly this in Workbench, but only from 3.5 onwards. A simple rexx script would suffice. For 3.1... :(

Ok this is what I did. Could not do it with 3.1 at all.

Installed os3.9 (thanks thomas) was shocked at how well it runs, thought it would need a 030 at least. toolsdaemon patched was freezing my machine so I used this for the tools menu:

http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/MoreTools

Very easy to use, just edit the mtdata file to add options to the menu.

Now opening the drawer was still being a pain the RX command above gave me errors, tried lots of different progs until I found this one:

http://aminet.net/package/util/cli/OpenDrawer

Dead simple just copy opendrawer to C:

Then from mtdata just add something like A (for me this is for whdload) command is opendrawer games:a

I now have all my apps plus A-Z whdload games/demos from my workbench main menu

Happy bunny

Many thanks to everyone who helped me.

Nice one Jimbo but in the end it sounds like you got there yourself. Well done mate!

John (y)

Back
Top Bottom