PC Question, but pretty sure you can help.

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
I was tearing into some fairly old computers this evening when I stumbled across a card labeled g-16-AGP. I went looking for information and from what I can find is that this is a Permedia 2 AGP 3D Graphics card. I wasn't able to find much more information about the chipset. Anybody have any idea about it? I also found an Older Voodoo card with the breakout box, don't know what model that is, but I am guessing it's AGP. Any help with the Permedia card would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Nathan

*Update* I pulled apart the next computer to investigate, and this one was an old Pentium 120 with a PCI S3 Trio video card in it. Sadly, the old Quantum Fireball hard drive didn't survive, it seems. Pulling open the case with the Voodoo card in it next.

Nathan

Re: PC Question, but pretty sure you can help.

Permidia Chipset is just now very old & out dated. Skip material tbh! :|

I understand that it's old, but I am always fascinated with the various technologies, including outdated and antiquated tech. I am really quite fascinated in the way we got to the technology we have today, and that includes the dead end technology. I was just curious about getting more information on the Permedia 2 chip as I cannot seem to find even some spec sheets for the chip online, which seemed very weird to me.

Nathan

I expect you will have better "link finding luck" (maybe) if you can identify the Brand of card you have! :wink:

didn't the ppc graphics cards use the Permedia 2 chip?

ahhh yes here it is,

Specs:

* 603e @ 210 mhz (factory clocked @210, not overclocked)
* 68040 @ 25mhz
* 192 MB fast ram (64 + 128MB, 60ns + no waitstates)
* Permedia 2 gfx chip
* 8 MB video ram

No no no JuvUK. The Tech Spec on the 2 platforms are miles apart. Nathanieltolbert requires info for the Pee Cee side of things via AGP. :wink:

I can't see any difference between those two links... You're not just spamming the board to boost your post count are you? It's a bad idea if you are... there is an edit button, you know.

Trawl-a-rama! Nice finds JuvUK.
Any use Nathanieltolbert?

Matrox made some cards using the Permedia 2 chipset. Maybe the card is from them?

@Nathaniel

what you have there is either a Voodo3000 or Voodoo2000 , most likely a 3000 to be honest. a great card in its day I have to admit, a pleasure to play many-a-game :)

@Juv / Kinny

my friends, the Permedia chipset is the same as the CyberVision PPC cards, although the memory architecture is aranged slightly differently, the actual port the CyberVision PPC sits on is infact a Mini-PCI port :) admitedly its limmited in function being both Mini and on an Amiga LOL.

I have one of these cards, it needs a new port fitted, just trying to find one... thats the trick....

Thanks for the information everyone. I appreciate the help. The card is in an IBM Workstation computer. The only identifying markings or names on the device was G-16 AGP, hence the confusion and difficulty locating any information on the silly thing. Interestingly enough, the card looks more like the Permedia3 card rather than the Permedia2 card that I keep seeing. Also, sadly, the voodoo card that was in the other machine is indeed AGP, so I don't know if anyone other than PC (or Pee Cee, is that how you say it?) users would get anything out of the card. I don't even know which version of Voodoo it is. I has a big blue breakout box though. I did find a S3 Trio 64 PCI video card though, which I think I read can be used on certain mediator boards, but don't quote me on that. By the way, you can just call me Nathan or Nate, don't worry about my login name. I don't hear Nathaniel unless I'm in serious trouble, and I hope I'm not in trouble. Am I in trouble?

Nathan

LOL, you signed up with that user name. It's all your fault! :D

True, true :) We are usually the cause of our misfortune. :p Can't be helped now. I found a little information about the card. It appears that this card was manufactured specifically for OEM installation. From what I could find, it was used by IBM, and Gateway in their higher end computers, more like for workstations, rather than home computers. It could have been used for more than just those companies, but details certainly seem a little sketchy. Apparently from what I can find, the G-16 AGP correlates to the fact that the card has 16MB of ram on it, different from most specs I can find for the Permedia2 chip. Aside from that, I don't know much about it. I find this sort of thing very interesting. Oh, by the way, did I mention that my favorite type of old game were the Quest games by Sierra? I love a good puzzle game with illogical and logical puzzles. :D

Nathan

No Nathaniel, you`re not in trouble! :mrgreen:

With respect to you Zeets, nathan was asking for reference material RE an AGP card. I concur the Chipsets over different platforms might have the same architecture, but the reference material for each platform would be entirely different. :wink:

@Kinnielicious

Aha!..... that will teach me to get high on chocolate before posting.... I blame Cadbury's... apricote and nut cluster thingy..... its like crack-cocaine !!!!

see now the question makes sense.... when one is not free-basing on cocoa!

Back
Top Bottom