Jameson

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Australia
Region
Queensland
Hey guys,

I recently came across an old Amibay thread where it was mentioned that the internal battery of the Apple (Bandai) Pippin leaks and should be removed. This of course made alarm bells go off as I have two boxed units that I have not opened in years and I would like to preserve them in working condition.

So, I have resigned myself to pulling them out of storage and doing the required mod, however after flexing my not inconsiderable Googlefu muscles.... I have failed to find a single link, guide or even reference to the Apple (Bandai) Pippin's internal battery. I would really like to know a little more about the procedure before jumping in.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I would just like to know WHERE the battery is (the few Pippin motherboard images I have seen don't appear to show the battery), if it can be safely removed without replacing and any other side effects etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:huh:

Surely I am not the only person on Amibay that owns an Apple Pippin..... they are not THAT rare! C'mon Apple Pippin owners, stand up and be counted! Oh, and tell me if you have removed your internal battery at the same time.....

Type in "Apple pippin motherboard" into google images... first image shows battery in a holder top left hand side? Soz, can't post a link as on a mobile at the mo.

FWIW:
Yes, old batteries should always be watched carefully (especially Amigas and Acorns) but I recently replaced the self-same original battery on two IIgs motherboards only to find they were actually fine. I suspect in this instance you'll not find any nastiness.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have found batteries to be a hit and miss affair in the past - batteries that have been left unchecked for decades have ben dead.... but not leaking, whilst some batteries that were not all that old I have found to be leaking profusely... so I have learnt to error on the side of caution.

Does anyone know the battery type? Before I open them up this weekend it would be nice to order some replacements.

Thanks again.

It looks like a 2/3 AA maybe 3.6v...

Completely guessing by the way :)

Back
Top Bottom