C128 psu and c64 psu

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Recently there was a post about a user wanting a psu socket, I had a different idea about how to proceed, so I finally converted a C128 psu to a C64 psu and kept the unit functional for c128 usage as well.

The C64 psu outputs 5.40 and is a suspect to kill these days. The c128 outputs 5.03 local here...

So let the game begin lol

Here is the victim

Well if it fails nothing lost..

Clean it up, I cannot see it any longer like that

A quick spray it on

And yes I putted in the ovon to move on.

Then I messured the right voltages.

Also on the C64 the color codes do not match at all.

The white and green are DC on the C64 and AC on the C128, the right voltages are printed on the c128 board too

Here I decide to use my own color code yellow for ac red and black for dc and ground

I put a do not know the right word in en but just make sure the cable cannot be removed or stressed and pulled out,

The end hook up result using some plastic to seperate the cables from the heat sink

After that picture I hotglued everything, confident it would be work or throw away. :whistle:

The end result

Oo yes no magic smoke, the C64 is happy and after this picture I tested with a game to see if it had sound.

So the psu can be used to hook up a C64 and C128 and with that color you know do not put it in an amiga

I do not know if it powers a C128 together with the C64..

That's a very nice hack you have done there, Jurgen! Thanks for sharing it with us. I like the "aircraft black box" look of the new PSU.....(y)

The nicest part is it took exactly 59 minutes, the plastic paint was put in the ovon.:shhh: I do not tend to use it much anyhow. the ovon not the psu

Last edited:
I admit that's a very nice and useful mod. If my C128 PSU looked like yours did I might consider it, but it's all clean and nice, not even yellowed at all .. I really don't want to butcher it :|

Hey Rixa, of course I will help you to post the item from Rkauer, this is just another way of approach. I felt the same about the C64 brick that is why I decided to do the mod.

Back
Top Bottom