Amiga CD32 stopped outputting in colour

Gravislord

Country
United States
Region
CA
I am using s-video out, into a s-video -> HDMI converter box, to a TV. It was working fine last night (the first time using it) and part of tonight, then the colour went to B&W. I tried another converter box (have spares), and same result.

I also tried via composite video, but nothing comes out at all, at least via my switch box (I don't have a PAL TV to test it directly).

Thoughts?

Have you checked the state of the motherboard caps?

Last edited:
Haven't even opened it up but have a new cap set already just in case. What are the signs that it needs to be re-capped? (I assume this might be one of them, but is there something more visual on the board / caps themselves that would indicate this need?)

The CD32 (just like the A1200) might show corrosion from leaking caps. The 2 main caps near the PSU will undoubtedly need changing and often look swollen on top.
Not sure if this will affect the colour directly, but leaking caps can damage other components.

I'll open it up tonight and check it out. Better safe than sorry for sure. I appreciate the advice on this!

Last edited:
In general it's quite easy to see if there is leakage: Take a good magnifying glass and check the leads (legs) of the capacitors. Are they all shiny and metal silver coloured? Then there is no or minimal leaking. Are they dull and/or grey coloured? Then there was medium leakage and possible corrosion. Any other colour (dark green/brown/black/white) indicates heavy leakage, residue and possible corrosion damage, probability of faults are high. The large barrel batteries seldom leak but if the top is bulging then they are dead too and should be replaced. On CD32 2 of them are mounted reverse so most likely have failed already.

There are plenty of examples on my service thread:

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.p...socket-HDD-amp-FDD-port-repair-or-replacement

Here is two actual from A1200 but the effects are the same on CD32

BAD:
1.JPG

GOOD:
4.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom