Not open for further replies.

Megatron-UK

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Durham/Newcastle
Looking for a Roland MPU-401, MPU-401/AT or MPU-IPC-T ISA card to hook up a recently acquired Roland MT-32 synth (and hopefully a SC-55 in the near future) for a retro DOS game setup.

Some games are iffy using the basic midi interface found in the joystick ports of soundcards, so am looking for the proper ISA MPU-401 card and breakout box to use it to maximum effect.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
you could also look for a more common Roland SCC-1 card, it is both a 4MB GM/GS midi synth and a fully featured roland MPU401 interface (infact all roland ISA cards are also an MPU401 , but the SCC-1's are more common/cheap)

Yep, I'd happily settle for an SCC-1 if one of those came up for sale.

allright, I included the SCC-1 bit on the thread title, good luck with your ad!

Thanks... I think I may have found a MPU-IPC - I'm currently trying to find out if its just the breakout box, or the complete with the ISA card!

Turned out just to be the breakout box! No ISA card to attach it to.... therefore pretty useless!

I got the MT-32 to work via Gameport to MIDI adaptor hanging off a Soundblaster 16 ISA card (cant hear anything because I don't have any 6.35mm jack plugs LOL!)... but I can see it is getting MIDI control signals and the instruments are playing. Would definitely prefer a proper MPU-401 for guaranteed compatability though.

Also just bought myself a Sound Canvas SC-55 mk2 to round out my DOS gaming machine with the following top quality sound options:

Gravis Ultrasound MAX - I actually bought this new in the mid 90's - it cost me a fortune! I eventually got a free 512kb chip from Gravis themselves [way, way after they had stopped supporting it!] to upgrade it to the full 1Mb.
Soundblaster 16
Roland MT-32
Roland SC-55

That looks like my DOS setup, except I have a SB Pro 1.0
The machine looks like this.

S3Trio 64V with 2MB RAM
MPU IPC-T
Sound Blaster Pro 1.0
Roland CM-64 (I have 3 MT-32 Modules in the closet)
Roland Sound Canvas SC55 MK2
486SX-25 or 486DX2-50
16MB RAM
540MB Hard Drive
4x Sony CD-ROM drive (for full classic experience)
All in an NCR 2320 desktop case

Sorry for the detraction, but I thought you might be curious.

Also to point out, some programs that use MT-32 synthesis might have problems with the Sound Blaster joystick port due to it not being fully compatible with the Midi standard. I think the output was limited UART mode and MT-32 requires something called intelligent mode for some games. But for the most part you should be fine.

Megatron-UK:
another "plus" of the SCC-1 is that you could get rid of the SC-55 too , it is a 2-in-1 solution :D
I am also into DOS gaming (seen yer posts at VOGONS too :D ) and I have this setup with DOS-only but powerfull enough to play SVGA DOS games:

Pentium 200mmx
4MB Riva128 vga (yes yes, this is actually an excellent DOS vga with vesa3.0 support, I have done so much testing and never found a bug - I dare say it is better than the S3 cards - way faster and no vesa tsr's needed)
SoundBlaster16 + DB50-XG combo
Roland LAPC-I
64MB RAM
80GB HDD
6x CDROM
classic baby AT case :)

I also have a USB2 card in it, that stays inactive unless I load it's drivers... it is dead slow (300-400kb/sec) but it works in pure DOS and helps me transfer data easily without burning cd's....

That looks like my DOS setup, except I have a SB Pro 1.0
The machine looks like this.

S3Trio 64V with 2MB RAM
MPU IPC-T
Sound Blaster Pro 1.0
Roland CM-64 (I have 3 MT-32 Modules in the closet)
Roland Sound Canvas SC55 MK2
486SX-25 or 486DX2-50
16MB RAM
540MB Hard Drive
4x Sony CD-ROM drive (for full classic experience)
All in an NCR 2320 desktop case

keropi said:
Pentium 200mmx
4MB Riva128 vga (yes yes, this is actually an excellent DOS vga with vesa3.0 support, I have done so much testing and never found a bug - I dare say it is better than the S3 cards - way faster and no vesa tsr's needed)
SoundBlaster16 + DB50-XG combo
Roland LAPC-I
64MB RAM
80GB HDD
6x CDROM
classic baby AT case

Actually, I've found the Nvidia cards to have excellent DOS support - even the TNT2 has great VESA 3.0 modes... unfortunately it was AGP and the machine it was in just *would not* work with the Ultrasound, I could never get it to assign DMA channels. So I went back to a PCI-based machine from the AGP one (it was overkill for DOS though - a P3 1GHz!).

The full spec of my current machine is:

DEC Venturis GL - Pentium Pro 200
192MB ECC RAM
24X CD
S3 Virge 2MB (the one that didn't work in the Mediator 1200!)
Voodoo 1 4MB
Soundblaster 16 - CT2290 (CDROM version with all interfaces disabled)
Ultrasound MAX v1.8
Roland MT-32
Roland SC-55 mkII (just scored this one yesterday afternoon)
Intel Etherexpress 10/100
It has USB onboard (1.1, obviously!), but they're not active - I think it needs a BIOS update to use them.

Storage is only a 10GB 2.5" IDE at the moment, but I think I need something bigger - even without getting in to anything downloaded, my old DOS game collection sitting on my shelves would fill it.

I'm going to replace the Virge and Voodoo 1 with a single card solution in the form of a Voodoo 3, which will free up either a PCI or ISA slot (the motherboard has the slots back to back, so you can have an ISA or PCI card in the top 4, the bottom two are ISA-only)... which is where I'd like to place the MPU-401 interface card.

Also looking for a DOS NFS solution, as I think that will give me better flexibility for installing stuff. Anyone tried anything along those lines?

BTW. My thinking behind the external modules (beside looking super cool and having blinky lights!) is that eventually, these old ISA machines will stop working, but I can always hook them up with a modern USB MIDI interface in Dosbox instead.

If you are looking for a mpu-401 at and a piggy back scb-55 from roland then i have what you want, in fact i have 2 of them

GuitareGeorges , that's a 2010 wanted thread you are replying to... you are welcome to make your own sales thread , I'm sure you'll have more success selling your gear this way ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom