How much can I overclock my Cyberstorm Mk2 060 and still use CyberSCSI?

User2921

Deactivated
Deactivated
Hi guys,

I have a cyberstorm mk2 060@50mhz. I'd like to overclock it but have come across some mixed information.

Apparently the CyberSCSI needs to run at 50mhz. However, some places I've read that you can upgrade the firmware on the card (how?) and that will allow you to run at 66mhz and still use the CyberSCSI.

I don't want to use onboard a4k IDE. ;)

Thanks!

Total out of left field suggestion: you could spring for a FastATA. Other than Elbox never responding to my registration request, it works great and you can get ~9MB/s

Yeah, that's true. But I have the cyberscsi so it would make sense to use it, no?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

@esc: To use csMKII at 60-66Mhz you first of all need to have the latest firmware but it also depends on what chipset your cyberSCSI module has. If you have a Symbios chipset you will probably not be able to use it at any frequency above 50MHz, but if you have a FAS216 chipset you can usually go to 64-66MHz.

@comraider: FastATA is good, but if you have SCSI you don't choose ATA over that :)

@esc: replace the two resistors to 040 config (downgrade). Put a rev.6 CPU in the Soket and a good cooler on top.
Put a 100MHz Quarz then you can run the Cpu with 100MHz and memory will work by 50MHz! ;)

I have read a few posts over on EAB about this, very interesting, do you know if the card is set to 040 will the memory always run at half the processor speed?

Yes half Speed (50). Just set the two resistors to 040 mode. The voltage regulator will still on board.
I have do it by me, and it works great. :D

100mhz with SCSI feels dangerous. But if it works, I'd be down. Is there a video or anything where this has worked reliably that I can read?

My 68060 is an MC68060RC50 71E41J
My CyberSCSI is the QLogic FAS216 2400148

So hypothetically I need the latest firmware and I _should_ be able to do upwards of 66mhz?

I have a photo somewhere of the mod (from another form, think it was linked on EAB). It looks fairly straight forward if your reasonable competent with a soldering iron, although solder points are fairly small.

I'd be curious to know the overall performance difference and (specifically) if there are any changes to reliability of either the CPU or the SCSI module over time. Have you heard much about this?

Found original thread on A1K.org, you need to register to see the pictures... http://www.a1k.org/forum/showthread.php?t=57243

Runs the whole TK (Bus) logic with 60MHz, which is within the framework of the TK Specs.
According to P5, the TK is designed for 66MHz, so would be at a 132MHz 060

CSMKII_120_jump.jpg

Back
Top Bottom