A4000 Help needed

mwkenna

Country
Wales, UK
Region
Swansea
I need some help identifying this disk drive (was it ever included with an Amiga or is it PC?) - the guy I got this 4000 off had filed away at the bezel to make it fit so I have no doubt that it's not for this machine. Also,can someone identify the card stuck to the back of it?

(Also I will post an ad in the wanted section but if anyone knows of an original FDD (including the extra-bezel) please let me know!

Thanks guys,
Mark.

Attachments

• IMG_0059.jpg
    IMG_0059.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 1
mwkenna

Now thats a very interesting dongle attached to the panosonic drive!

I suspect it is recreating the ready and reset signals for the device - however it looks drastically over-engineered to do this.

is there any chance of some close-ups of the adapter - disconnected from the FDD?

Of course!

The PCB text says "HDDrive Internal Issue 0" - a High density adaptor of some kind?

Attachments

• IMG_0065[1].jpg
    IMG_0065[1].jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0066[1].jpg
    IMG_0066[1].jpg
    196 KB · Views: 0
There is also a message which pops up when the machine boots, something along the lines of "High density floppy drive hardware and software by Power Computing....",... "1993 by Adam Hill"

---------- Post added at 19:23 ---------- Previous post was at 18:52 ----------

In that case I may well try a standard PC floppy drive with this adaptor - it's work a try... right?!

The adapter is the internal version of the Power Computing XL drive, I used to have have one in my A1200.

IT is an awesome piece of kit made by Power Computing. Too bad it is not like the original built-in FZ357 that can boot from a HD floppy.

This unit can use HD floppies only after the software driver as been loaded on Workbench. But still better when speed is compared (the original drive is irritatingly slow in HD mode).

IT is an awesome piece of kit made by Power Computing. Too bad it is not like the original built-in FZ357 that can boot from a HD floppy.

This unit can use HD floppies only after the software driver as been loaded on Workbench. But still better when speed is compared (the original drive is irritatingly slow in HD mode).

I seem to remember that the drive could read HD floppies without the driver, and needs the driver for writing only. If that's true it would mean you could boot from HD drives. I have an external version, if I find time, and someone wants to know badly I could try it... :)

Found more info in a review:
The XL drive is the size of a normal (PC880B) external drive and
doesn't have any vents, etc., for you to spill drinks through. It features
a disable switch and a through port. If the patch isn't run, the drive can
read/write 880K Amiga disks, 720K PC disks (with appropriate driver
software), but can only read Amiga 1.76MB disks. Once the patch is run, the
drive can also write Amiga 1.76MB disks, and can read/write PC 1.44MB disks
(using appropriate driver software).
In use, it is faster than the internal drive in the A4000.

Back
Top Bottom