PDA

View Full Version : You heard it here first folks

quarkx
24th September 2010, 08:58
Today is a monumental day.
We had our first formal meeting, and it looks like "the Plan" is feasible.
you heard it her first folks. The seeds are planted for possibly the biggest- Cross US and Canada Amiga road tour in years to promote the Amiga. The proposed launch date is either October 2011 or 2012, pending funding and we are looking at big Corporate sponsorship. Stay tuned to the Blog for future announcements and more details, as they get hammered out.
Yes, it is crazy:whistle::shhh:

I can't really go into much more, but the "tour" will be broadcast live via streaming video on the net, and there will be GPS tracking of the tour in real time Via a new website we are setting up. The plan also includes stopping off at not only the old and decrepit Commodore HQ, but when we are on the west cost, we will be stopping off at the HQ's of all the big Computer companies like Sun, HP, Apple, and Microsoft just to name a few. I am going to See what we can stir up, sitting in the Microsoft HQ's parking lot with a bullhorn demanding to see Steve Balmer :)

Because we are in the very early start of the whole planning stages, I can't really go into much more now, but soon... stay tuned.

Justin
24th September 2010, 09:03
exciting! but no trans atlantic deal yet?

quarkx
24th September 2010, 09:10
Not yet unfortunately, maybe once we Finnish and can convince Sponsors that it is visable. Our first rough estimate put us at the $100 grand mark for a 6 month tour, but the complete cost is being looked over by a financial planer and CPA right now. The "rig" I will use is REALLY Retro and will draw a lot of attention when it is going down the road. It is half the estimated cost right now trying to retro fit it with a sat up-link for the internet, and setting up the interior to display a few Amiga's

r0jaws
24th September 2010, 13:46
Keep us updated, sounds like an interesting excursion, to say the least!

AmiNeo
24th September 2010, 14:14
This will be fun to follow!

TheRogue
24th September 2010, 22:57
I'm hoping you will be stopping in Vancouver, BC? I can bring out some of my really interesting classic computers to demo if you do, such as my PowerPC A4000 or my X68000 XVI or my Atari Falcon with CT-63, just to name a few. I know it's an amiga roadtrip, but still...

desiv
24th September 2010, 23:02
Not yet unfortunately, maybe once we Finnish

OK, was that a Freudian slip or intentional? :blink::D;)

I'll be checking up on this, hopefully the Pacific Northwest gets a visit..

Thanx,

desiv

quarkx
24th September 2010, 23:57
I'm hoping you will be stopping in Vancouver, BC? I can bring out some of my really interesting classic computers to demo if you do, such as my PowerPC A4000 or my X68000 XVI or my Atari Falcon with CT-63, just to name a few. I know it's an amiga roadtrip, but still...
I wasn't planning at this stage to hit BC at all, but that could change after all, I was planning on heading straight south of Edmonton, down into Montana and move west Coast through Washington State. I might have to start it in Washington, as a potential piece is located down there. (fly down to Washington and start). I plan on doing the west cost Silicon Valley run down past LA and then slowly make my way NE. I am also stopping at the old Commodore HQ to see what it looks like then. Then up through Jersey and finally to New York. Then its back up to Canada heading east, through Montreal, Toronto, Winnipeg,Saskatoon then back to Edmonton.
But this could all change if the demand is there.

chiark
30th September 2010, 14:41
OK, was that a Freudian sheep or intentional? :blink::D;)

The canadians are enjoying kicking the Finnish... Something to do with a CEO of some small comms company, or something like that.

And ice hockey.

quarkx
1st October 2010, 02:15
There is a bit more of a tease here (http://obsoletegamer.com/glen-vandenbiggelaar-the-amiga-lounge/), as on Sunday, Obsolete Gamer did an interview. It is starting to get a bit of attention through the non Amiga crowd also. I have been fielding e-mails all week about it.

skippy
1st October 2010, 03:13
Perhaps if the Viva Amiga documentary is ready you could take that on the tour to help spread to word and promote the Amiga.

[Need to correct that broken "upcoming documentary" link at Obsolete Gamer to Amigafilm.com]

All the best.

JetSet Skippy.

quarkx
1st October 2010, 03:20
Perhaps if the Viva Amiga documentary is ready you could take that on the tour to help spread to word and promote the Amiga.

[Need to correct that broken "upcoming documentary" link at Obsolete Gamer to Amigafilm.com]

All the best.

JetSet Skippy.
I have been in contact with Zach about it, He will be interviewing me for the documentary anyway, who knows.
BTW: I shouldn't have to ask this, but if YOU think this tour is something you would want to see, Tweet, Digg, facebook, whatever you tend to do out there. spread the word around to other Amiga boards. Lets get the (boing) ball rolling and drive some preliminary anticipation and excitement. I am committed to making this thing a go, but every bit of help goes along way. Otherwise, it is just one voice in the net, and nobody will hear about it until after its done.

quarkx
20th October 2010, 21:02
Temporary web site is up, some more basic info on it. it will be changing all the time. I am not really ready to make a direct link to it yet, still building some rollover buttons and editing content as I go. For those that want to hunt it down, the URL is not difficult to figure out (HINT: it has AMIGA and RV and tour in the title-not sure if the bots picked it up yet). I have a few major sponsors interested in backing it so far, but nothing but NDA's from them yet. Meanwhile, I just keep plugging along with it