Help needed for MC68000 Assembly books

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Hi there, I just want to read about the MC68000 Assembler language, are there any good books to search for, for novices of course (straight from the beginning, not for advanced users)?

I just want to know how it works, and how you can start programming in Assembly language. Yeah, I know it's difficult, I just want to take a glance in it.

Thanks for your time.

If you're not interested in printed material but are quite happy reading pdfs etc then have a look for bombjacks site.

Dave G :cool:

Actually I only like printed material, I cannot sit and read a whole book via PDF, but thanks for the hint, I'll try it out. :)

I've got Hisofts Devpac Amiga V1.2 with manual, discs and little 68000 book all complete.

If you're interested I'll do a swap for the joystick (y)

Thanks for your offer, but I've already got Devpac 3's manual, and I have to say that it wasn't so helpful (for me at least). :(

No problems.

Good luck with your hunt (y)

Hi there, I just want to read about the MC68000 Assembler language, are there any good books to search for, for novices of course (straight from the beginning, not for advanced users)?

I just want to know how it works, and how you can start programming in Assembly language. Yeah, I know it's difficult, I just want to take a glance in it.

Thanks for your time.

If you're considering purchasing any Amiga 68000 books then I'd strongly recommended the "Amiga Reference Manual" and these Abacus books which I have..but not that particular "System Intern" book as theirs a better one; that's the library orientated coders book and references mainly to the A3000 and is an amalgamation of various other Abacus books including reference to the A1000 so causes confusion. :blink:

These can be found on Ebay, I've often considered purchasing them to complete my collection but my brain does not permit me because it thinks I'll start coding again.

Hisoft Devpac book isn't that great and you might actually benefit from using version 2.5 of their assembler as oppose to 3 as a beginner. (y)

You want to photo copy all the most popular pages and stick them on the wall to save damaging your books; CUSTOM register tables etc.

.moo BTST #6,$bfe001
BNE.S .moo
RTS

Attachments

• Books.jpg
    Books.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 4
  • amiga-reference-manual-227x300.jpg
    amiga-reference-manual-227x300.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 2
Just to contradict myself about the versions of Devpac, I just remembered v3 ironed out an annoying assembling bug from v2.x which occasionally locked up when compiling. :(

If you're using an Amiga A500 [OCS] you might wish to consider the Action Replay Amiga Cartridge Mk #3

Mmmm Lord Olaf.

May the force be with you - new.

JetSet.

Attachments

• Cart.jpg
    Cart.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 2
I've got "Total! Amiga Assembly" by Paul Overaa, if you like?

He introduces all the basic concepts and takes it all the way through to using Intuition, Gadtools and ARexx.

Not all of his coding practises are what you'd call brilliant, but it served me well as a starting point, all those many years ago.

Along with the MC68000 pocket reference and an enormous pile of Motorola manuals (available free from Motorola, at the time) I got well and truly started. Then the scene died and I bought a PC :(

Sadly, I didn't keep the Motorola manuals.

Freescale only seem to offer PDF's for free now and no hardcopy at all of the MC68000 Family Programmer's Reference Manual.

The PDF version is a faithful reproduction of the original book. Brings back some memories :)

If you looking for good assembler to start writing I can recommend ASM-ONE, it's IDE, you can write there and run your assembly code.

I can tell you which book really helped me back in the day - First Steps in 68000 Assembly Language (Glentop Publishing). If you can find a copy then I'd thoroughly recommend it.

Back in '91 I was trying to learn 6502 assembly on my Atari 8-bit but not really getting anywhere. I had the pretty highbrow 6502 Assembly Language book by Lance A. Leventhal. So I switched my attention to the 68000 on the ST. Picked up this book which explained basic principles pretty well and within a week I was able to write my own 68000 assembly language programs. The following week, using what I'd learned, I managed to pick up 6502 assembly.

Not long after this I was able to write a nifty piece of code that effectively bolted on extras to the Atari ST's OS by adding extra 68000 Trap calls. I even got it working with STOS, which caused a complication in that, IIRC, it handled the stack differently when calling 68000 routines. Think I still have that floppy somewhere, but I think it's corrupted. :(

Back
Top Bottom