My C64 1541-II is having problems (I think...)

User1301

Deactivated
Deactivated
Country
S
Region
G
Hi all!

Recently got a sweet C64c and 1541-II disk drive from here. Thing is, got it all powered up and the three disks I've tried so far won't give me a directory listing of the disk. Each time I try the drive whirs up and then does the "machine gun" sound and then I get an error on screen and te wee drive light flashes.

Now - i do not believe for an instant that this was like this before it was shipped to me as the vendor tested it and I 100% believe that it was fine.

The packaging was also awesome and the drive was extremely well protected so I am not at all getting at the vendor (just to make it clear) but wondered if a) there is something I'm doing wrong.. or b) is there something I can do to try and fix it please?

Thanks for your advice in advance :)

Cheers

John (y)

PS - Blankstare gave me a great link to a couple of Euro to UK plug adapters and I bought them so I could use my new purchases. They're fab but the thread closed before I could thank him - so thanks Blankstare :)

sounds like what normally happens when you try to read blank/unformatted disks.....

(or when a mis-aligned drive tries to read anything)

Thanks SaviorX they're not blank. They are original. One game and 2 commodore test disks. I'm thinking myself that it's alignment and that somehow the shipping from Europe ust have helped them get out of alignment. Is there anything I can do??

Cheers

John

I would first clean the drive heads with some alcohol and then post to find out more... These old drives are very relialble.. :roll:

well, if the vendor tested it and it and it worked fine, i doubt it got filled with dirt on the way, but a head clean is always a good idea....mis-alignment in transit is common of course....
a 1541 alignment disk (assuming you have another drive) would allow you to re-align it with just a screwdriver....

here is another thread on the subject:

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=5038

Thanks folks - As jvdbossc says I will try and clean the heads first and if that doesn't work I'll look further into the link you sent earlier Saviorx. Hopefully I'll get it to work - it's a lovely drive.

cheers folks - I'll let you know how i get on!

John

Back
Top Bottom