PDA

View Full Version : Closed SOLD: Amiga 4000/030, X-Surf, VLab digitizer

thijs
1st November 2008, 19:53
I'm selling my Amiga 4000 system. it's taking up too much space and hasn't seen any use for the last 5 years or so.

- SOLD Amiga 4000/030. Case and keyboard are yellowed and two expansion port brackets are missing. Otherwise in good shape. 75

- SOLD Individual Computers X-Surf ethernet card, with an expansion port for the Hypercom 3 Plus, two A1200 clockports, and two IDE ports (limited, see description below) . First revision, never used. Without original box and software. 50

http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showhardw ... HARDID=912 (http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showhardware.cgi?HARDID=912)
http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/search.pl?product=xsurf

- SOLD MacroSystem VLab Rev 1.0 realtime 24 bit NTSC and PAL video digitizer. Without original box and software. 25

http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showhardw ... HARDID=301 (http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showhardware.cgi?HARDID=301)
http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/search.pl?product=vlab

Kin Hell
1st November 2008, 20:04
Hi thijs.

Any idea what the condition of the Mobo is like? The batteries in these things are just Acid Cans waiting to explode! :shock:

thijs
1st November 2008, 20:22
I opened the case today and saw nothing unusual. I'll take a closer look at the battery when I'm back in the office next Tuesday.

Kin Hell
1st November 2008, 20:50
Some pics would be cool. :wink:

thijs
1st November 2008, 21:47
I first tried to take pictures of the cards inside the case. It looks like you can see the battery on these:

[attachment=0:3pi8dbo1]IMG_0667.jpg[/attachment:3pi8dbo1]

[attachment=1:3pi8dbo1]IMG_0665.jpg[/attachment:3pi8dbo1]

Kin Hell
1st November 2008, 22:21
Does this mean you will have some better pics on Tuesday? :)
These batteries can sublimely discolour the PCB a slightly darker colour than say the PCB away towards the Zorro Daughter slot.
Another clue is like a green/blue hue to the silver legs on everything around the battery area. White Fur on the Battery ends would suggest leakage & then you need to check the visual onslaught thereafter.

thijs
1st November 2008, 22:31
I'll have better pics on Tuesday. :)

tonyyeb
1st November 2008, 22:58
I'm seriously interested in the A4000. If Kin Hell doesn't want it then i'm next in line.

da9000
2nd November 2008, 01:10
Interested in your X-Surf.

Will send PM.

dibs
2nd November 2008, 21:39
Hi thijs,

I'd also like to register my interest in your X-Surf card (2nd in line, rats!)

Regards,

Ian

tonyyeb
4th November 2008, 17:07
Any news on this? Has a deal been done? 8)

Kin Hell
4th November 2008, 17:30
Waitng on Pictures m8......Today......Tuesday! :)

thijs
5th November 2008, 20:26
Sorry, didn't find time to take pictures this Tuesday. I'm back in the office tomorrow and I'll make sure to take the pictures of the motherboard then.

KGC210
5th November 2008, 20:38
Really interested in the A4000 and X-Surf together.
Can pay tonight if other people are not too interested

Just let me know

thijs
5th November 2008, 20:53
KGC210, you're third in line for the Amiga 4000 and second in line for the X-Surf if I'm not mistaken.

Please note that I wouldn't be selling here if I was doing this for the money. ;)

thijs
6th November 2008, 09:33
Better pictures of the motherboard:

McVenco
6th November 2008, 11:31
Better pictures of the motherboard:

Aaargh! Remove that battery NOW!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Seriously, you can already see green and white stuff all around the battery, so to prevent more damage: please remove it! You don't need to use a soldering iron or any other tools, just wiggle the battery back and forth until the legs snap, and then at least clean up some of that mess. I wouldn't be the first Amiga mainboard (and not the last either) that has been permanently damaged by battery leakage.

Kin Hell
6th November 2008, 13:14
Yeah, shes started to go! one of those Clock Timing Chips looks like it green furred quite badly. Photos just dont quite cut the cloth for clarity. Any chance of some closer ones thijs?

Thanks for your efforts so far! :)

da9000
6th November 2008, 18:30
My 2 cents: even though the photos aren't perfect (good photography, but too low resolution), from my experience with leaking Amigas (quite a bit - unfortunately...) this A4000 motherboard looks quite salvageable: all that's needed seems to be some good cleaning/washing (vinegar, isopropyl, some rubbing and brushing) once received. Of course 8Megapixel photos would help make a better judgement :-)

Kin Hell
6th November 2008, 18:47
@ thijs

PM Sent: :D

@ da9000

Yeah m8y, you're quite right! :wink:

tonyyeb
6th November 2008, 19:04
@ thijs

PM Sent: :D

Do we take it from this that you are having first refusal?

thijs
6th November 2008, 19:44
And now in full resolution:

http://stuff.vandervossen.net/temporary/mobo_full1.jpg
http://stuff.vandervossen.net/temporary/mobo_full2.jpg
http://stuff.vandervossen.net/temporary/mobo_full3.jpg
http://stuff.vandervossen.net/temporary/mobo_full4.jpg
http://stuff.vandervossen.net/temporary/mobo_full5.jpg

There seems to some green discoloration on the chip right next to the battery.

Ok, this item is now free, you only pay for postage.

Kin Hell
6th November 2008, 20:06
@ tonyyeb

After your remark @ post number 8, I would have said you were first in line if I wasn't interested.

I'm sorry if my intentions were not clear, but the thread explains itself quite clearly imo!

tonyyeb
6th November 2008, 20:15
Hi Kin. Sorry I realise my message isn't quite what I was intending. What I meant was you are taking up your opportunity of first refusal? Not that you are jumping the queue! :wink: I hope that is clear now 8)

Kin Hell
6th November 2008, 20:53
@ tonyyeb

It's a done deal m8. Sorry!

tonyyeb
6th November 2008, 21:10
@ tonyyeb

It's a done deal m8. Sorry!

No probs. Hope you enjoy!

dibs
6th November 2008, 22:05
Hi thijs,

Re: Amiga 4000/030, X-Surf, VLab video digitizer, 1942 monitor
KGC210, you're third in line for the Amiga 4000 and second in line for the X-Surf if I'm not mistaken.

(cough) hopefully that's *third* in line for the X-Surf unless da9000 has already had it! :)
Ready to chat and sort out payment/postage if he's decided not to pursue it (mine has stopped working).

Regards,

Ian
(dibs)

Kin Hell
6th November 2008, 22:05
@ tonyyeb

I'm sorry I misunderstood what you meant too. One or two recent events have left me a little jumpy I guess. :|
Apologies!

thijs
6th November 2008, 22:17
@dibs I'm waiting for payment from da9000 for the X-Surf.

dibs
6th November 2008, 22:37
@thijs

@dibs I'm waiting for payment from da9000 for the X-Surf.Rightyho - give me a shout should you find yourself in need of another buyer - otherwise good luck!

@da9000 - I managed to get my A4000/030 on the web with AMITCP and AWEB just before my old X-Surf gave up the ghost - it was great! It will run Samba and connect to shared network drives, but I never got this running. Have fun.

Cheers,

Ian

tonyyeb
6th November 2008, 23:21
@ tonyyeb

I'm sorry I misunderstood what you meant too. One or two recent events have left me a little jumpy I guess. :|
Apologies!

No probs. I understand!

dibs
6th November 2008, 23:55
Hello thijs,

I have just managed to get an X-Surf card off AmiBay!! I'll withdraw my interest in your card now (and move KGC210 up into second - how did you know :D )

Thanks anyway,

Ian

Hessu
7th November 2008, 01:02
A bit late, but i'm too interested about this A4000, not the addons. PM sent before this, wrong, i know, but i couldn't open this thread for some odd "Mickrosoft" reason :?

thijs
16th November 2008, 11:22
The 4000 and the digitizer card have been delivered, I'm still waiting for payment for the X-Surf.

We'll get pictures of the motherboard repairs if I'm not mistaken. ;)

Kin Hell
16th November 2008, 19:40
Yeah, no problems. :D Board damage isn't too bad for cleaning up but right side the Chip Ram socket clip is half broken & I repaired the first FastRam Socket with a metal Clip. This is why the fast ram was failing to show! :wink:

Only one area of real concern RE: battery Leak damage. Pics wont be up for about a week. Stay Tuned! :)

Kin Hell
17th November 2008, 20:17
Board appears to be developing other issues. Pressure on the half broken Chip ram SIMM sometimes gives a red screen, suggesting a ROM error. Green is Chip RAM afaik, so this is all a bit confusing tbh, especially after it booted to desktop the first time I powered her on since the repair work so far!? :?

TheCorfiot
17th November 2008, 20:53
@Kin

Try a different SIMM in the chipRAM slot, If memory serves me right you can use a larger capacity SIMM than 2MB such as 4/8MB & it should work fine only mapping the 2MB.

Best of Luck matey

TC :mrgreen:

Kin Hell
17th November 2008, 21:00
Well, in the last few minutes, she just rolled over & died totally. No life from the PSU though when you press "On", you can hear it ticking. I just can't believe this after she fired to desktop almost. I saw the IDE-FIX no, yes, never maybe option, then cancelled it & sat there for half an hour while I guess the drive was validating itself. With the HD LED light on, I Crl-A-A'd her & she's been a proper ***** since!

There is just not suffcient visible damage to the board from battery erosion that should be causing these symptoms though! Now to see the PSU refuse to come on, this is all tits up now! :?

TheCorfiot
17th November 2008, 21:08
B**tard :shock:

Kinny Take your time mate, strip her down to Basic's & check for bad contacts on the Mobo PSU connector maybe even a dry joint or two.

I'm hoping it's nothing serious....
The Saga continues..

Chin up
TC :wink:

Kin Hell
17th November 2008, 21:14
PSU works fine in another A4KD...so summat cant be right with the board B-I-G time now! :shock:

thijs
17th November 2008, 21:57
That's a real shame. I never had any trouble booting her so I assume this must be because of damage during shipment. Please keep us updated and don't hesitate asking for a refund if you feel you'd like one.

Kin Hell
18th November 2008, 10:13
@ thijs:

First off, thanks for the offer of refund, but however the outcome here m8, the deal was the deal & sleeping dogs will lie. - You know what I mean! :wink:

I also have a question for you!
Has this Miggy been stored or sat on it's side for some time?
The only reason I ask is there appears to be some slight Battery Acid signs to the Mobo ZORRO Connector. If you Imagine the Amiga on it's Side with the PSU against the table, the battery placing is exactly over the area affected on the ZORRO Board, but amazingly, it hasn't dripped onto the board! - Only into the Mobos Daughter Board slot after hitting a card in the Bottom ZORRO/VIDEO slot!?

@ All

Any way, having stripped her completely, I removed the 3.1 Roms & swapped them for 3.0 ROMS. Still no go!
2 more ROM swaps l8r, still no go! Still getting this infernal RED screen with Power Light flash! Something I did notice eventually after 2 & a half hours messing was I didn't check the CAPS lock trick. Keep pressing it...when the keys LED fails to stop responding, it's always usually a CPU problem!

In pure frustration & last stand, out came the 030 card, switched the Internal Jumpers to External & threw in a C= A3640 card.
Hard drive was off, hit the button ...IDE time out elapsed & Bingo ...Boot Screen showing 3.0ROM. :D
Pulled the 040, reset the 030, - RED SCREEN! :roll: - Re-do the 040, Boot Screen! :D

The 040 is the only CPU card I have spare, so I can't take the on board 50Mhz crystal out of the equation just yet. Setting to EXT is forcing the Miggy to use the CPU cards Timing Crystal.

Stripped her again on the workbench, replaced the 3.1 ROMS & put her back in the Chassis. Set INT & fired the 030, RED SCREEN! - Reset to EXT & 040, Boot Screen showing 3.1 ROMS. :mrgreen:

Re connected the hard drive, was validating itself to bits for about 20 mins & crashed. Did this 3 times after which I shut her down & chucked a KickFlash4 in it with KickStart 3.9 on there. Hit the button, got to the desktop, half an hour later & the HD was quiet! :D

I guess I could pull that rig to bits blindfolded, but she repeatedly works when totally stripped out of her case & rebuilt. I've done this 4 times after the first 3.1 ROM success to be sure!

All along, I was really not sure about this. Battery leaks are the worst problems to deal with, but in all honesty, when you look at this board overall, It's cleaned up nicely & looks like new! :shock:

I'd be whole lot happier being able to try a C= 030 card that is known to work, just to be sure!

Promise to do some Pics this weekend coming, when hopefully I should have a camera to hand.

thijs
18th November 2008, 10:17
The machine has indeed been stored on its side for at least some of the time.

thijs
19th November 2008, 22:15
I received payment for the X-Surf, will send the card tomorrow. I'll mark the topic as 'Sold'.

thijs
29th November 2008, 15:32
Just wondering how Kin Hell is doing with the machine; have you been able to get her running smoothly again?

Kin Hell
29th November 2008, 19:08
Yes m8y's. I do apologise for the delay! She's running fine but is still WIP so to speak. I have been so busy with other things, I just haven't had the time to process the Pics I have! :|

It will happen asap, sorry I can't be more definitive....

thijs
30th November 2008, 00:29
No problem at all, I just was curious whether or not she was behaving nicely now. Good to know she is. ;)

TheCorfiot
30th November 2008, 00:36
I never doubted Kin would sort it out, Cant wait for his update.

TC :mrgreen: