Philips CM8832 Scart Issue

gwionm

AmiBayer
Hi All,

I have a Philips CM8832 monitor that only accepts RGB scart as it doesn't have the VCR switch. I'd like to be able to connected my laserdisc player and other devices that use composite scart on this monitor, any idea how this can be done? I've tried a freeview box but this didn't work, it showed the freeview ok but when I switched to 'VCR' there was only sound, no video.

Thanks

G

$_86.JPG

even if it had the vcr switch it doesnt do what you think it does,and it definitely doesnt turn off the picture
also how on earth did you switch to vcr without a vcr switch,that doesnt make much sense

take a picture of the rear,it already has button on the front for rgb and composite
but lets see the rear first

P.S:also,you might have adjust your settings in your profile,i cant see your location,im pretty sure its a requirement of the rules here

EDIT: this also might be an early version of the board,but i suppose we shall soon find out

also,you do realise this isnt really scart compliant,and doesnt actually need to be,but we will gloss over that part at the moment

Last edited:
Uh ? What you're saying is a bit non-sensical.

Monitors/TVs with SCART normally use a pin (pin 16 I think, from memory) to switch between RGB and composite mode. The pin is pulled high (about 1-3V) to enable RGB input.
Also - whats the point in posting a picture of the FRONT of a monitor like that ? A picture of the BACK showing its range of connectors would of course be somewhat useful.

i will say it again,i have worked on enough monitors and tv's to know they dont all comply to any sort of scart standard even though they have a scart type socket fitted.
they can just be rgb,or have to be switched on the front to pick an input method using the scart socket
or they simply dont work with some devices even with rgb due to sync issues
its all about how the board was configured
so never assume it works with any sort of scart standard,even if some that have been seen actually do the switching via the socket and work fine with anything you plug in,not all do
even with for instance,same looking make and model..im serious

Sorry if I wasn't clear I switched the freeview box to it's VCR input hoping it would convert the composite to RGB. The picture of the front of the monitor was the only picture I had last night, here's a picture of the back.

IMG_2720.jpg

its getting quite confusing now,is it working with rgb or not or composite or not?
your first post indicates it wont work with a composite signal

can you take a clear picture of the switch on the front,i want to see what it does,and have you tried it?

i suspect it doesnt take composite at all,is it stereo or mono?

actually i have a better idea take a picture of the controls and the switch,itll probably give it away

Last edited:
The monitor only works with rgb, sound is mono and the button on the front is a green screen switch.

I'm basically looking for ways to convert a composite signal to rgb scart.

im not having a go,but thats not what you said when you made this post

you were saying you couldnt get composite to work on the monitor,the monitor doesnt do any conversion to do with composite(probably not in a way you think it does),in fact i dont think it has composite or any electronics in it to handle composite at all,it looks like its only rgb(plus i cant see a saturation knob or your last comment says thats the green switch so it wont have that option on the board)
although,your comments might be more to do with your interpritation of how the monitor works through scart,than understanding it
and if your wondering,the board could be configured to take composite,but i dont think youll want that challenge

your probably better off getting a monitor that can accept both signals

EDIT: to be more clear,and basically to speed this up a bit.if you cant see the rgb/cvbs button on the front or rear and no saturation knob,chances are very high there is no electronics in it to deal with composite signals in any way shape or form
and for info you and everyone else go read post #4 again
unfortunately yours is the worse case on these,where its not there to start with,and alot of people think because it has a scart socket that it accepts all the signals that scart can have,unfortunately it wont in its current configuration

Last edited:
I understand that the monitor doesn't accept composite and it doesn't have the electronics to handle it. What I'm looking for is suggestions on what I can use to convert a composite signal to rgb scart. E.g. a tv that doesn't have scart input, use a scart to rf modulator.

You'd need a PAL decoder .... that outputs RGBS (thats composite -ve going syncs AFAIK).
(I'm assuming you are in PAL land, but because you've choen not to/failed to have a location in your visible profile, who really knows ?)
If you ask q's involving TV signals and don't state anything about location, its all unecessary gueswork - quite annoying, in fact.

Just had a q gander on ebay - nothing there aside from IC's - and I don't think those will o/p RGBS - just R-Y and B-Y ....
There used to be 19" rack pro grade units for doing that, but might take some tracking down now.

im sorry,but your last comment made even less sense

scart to rf modulator? then what?
sorry ,but it doesnt get much further away from rgb does it
what exactly are you looking for now?

what i suggest,is go out and get a modern tv with scart or any other connection you might fancy and be happy it just works
its alot less hassle than what your trying to do with this monitor,and probably alot cheaper
and itll have a lot simpler solution connectivity wise and very easy to understand,you will appreciate that fact alone

you could even sell this monitor to someone who knows how to use it and appreciate it,and you have some coin towards a do everything tv
sounds reasonable to me

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom