Closed PCI IDE controller (with sata would be a nice bonus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beorn

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Country
UK
Region
London
Hi,

My 486 doesn't have any on-board IDE ports so I therefore had to resort to using an IDE PCI card which seems to have now given up the ghost.

I'm looking for another PCI card, ultimately with 2 IDE ports and ideally SATA. I'm probably more likely to find a 1 ide port and sata than 2 ide with sata but that's what I would ultimately like if someone has any please?

I'd also need to know what the maximum hdd size said interface card supports please.

Thanks!

I might have just the card for you, a Promise SATA-150 TX2 Plus, with ATA133 and 2x SATA. I'll have to check for max HDD support, but I suspect it should do anything that works with LBA (i.e. max 2TB).

But...

486 boards have very early PCI revisions and I doubt whether a card like this would run on it. I know for sure my Silicon Image-based SATA controller requires PCI 2.2 which means it won't run on a BX board, much less a 486. This Promise card is supposed to be more compatible but I recently sold my last PCI 2.0 board so I can't test its behaviour. If you're interested I could at least check with PCI 2.1 (i440BX)

Thanks for your input. Appreciate your offer of testing; BX support would be great but would need to know it works with this chipset. In the mean time i'm trying to confirm the PCI version of this mobo at least.

I might have just the card for you, a Promise SATA-150 TX2 Plus, with ATA133 and 2x SATA. I'll have to check for max HDD support, but I suspect it should do anything that works with LBA (i.e. max 2TB).

But...

486 boards have very early PCI revisions and I doubt whether a card like this would run on it. I know for sure my Silicon Image-based SATA controller requires PCI 2.2 which means it won't run on a BX board, much less a 486. This Promise card is supposed to be more compatible but I recently sold my last PCI 2.0 board so I can't test its behaviour. If you're interested I could at least check with PCI 2.1 (i440BX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom