Internal IDE controller/adaptor for Amiga500?

Brostenen

Country
Denmark
Region
Northern Jutland
Hi all...
I have been searching far and wide for an internal ide controller or port, for my Amiga500 machine. What I am more specifically looking for, is something that sits directly under the CPU, does not need additional power source (solderless), and have 44pin IDE connector, just like the Amiga600. It does not need to be able to autoboot, as I plan to have a kickstart switcher installed at a later point. The plan is to have 1.3 as the primaery rom and 2.1 (37.350) as the secondaery rom for booting a harddrive for word processors, protracker and stuff like that. Perhaps have the harddrive filled up with demo's in the form of adf files.

What I am looking for, is something in the neighbourhood of this old 500-controller...

http://www.bigbookofamigahardware.com/bboah/product.aspx?id=552

I have seen one solution here on Amibay, yet it requires some soldering skills. The biggest question that I need to think about, is if I have to go for a wicher instead.

Last edited:
Thanks.
I was kind of looking for a product like the one on sordan or the wicher500. Just without the ability to autoboot on kickrom 1.3 because I like the idea of having an oldschool 1.3 setup without hdd, and then flip the kickrom switch (or do it by keyboard) to boot into an amiga600 kind of setup. My Amiga500 have the 8.a1 board, yet 512k and was sold as an 500 and not 500+.

That way, I might not need my recapped 600 anymore. Just need to figure out a way to have cdrom as well. So perhaps an external sidecar solution will do in my case.

I don't know... I might sell my C64c setup and keep the Amiga600.

Last edited:
Why not try one of mkl's ide+8mb ram boards?

I have one in my cdtv, when using 1.3 ROM it doesn't autoboot and boots as a standard cdtv, switch to 3.1 and it boots from the ide. It has a 40pin ide not 44 though

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?7158-A500-IDE-adapters-PS-2-mouse-adapter-A600-CF-adapter

I have noticed, yet the adaptor needs soldering skill's right? That is one of the things that I want to avoid.
I guess it is the Wicher500 route that I need to take.
Speaking of soldering. What exactly are the two wires for? The tread you linked to, are a bit messy for me to read.

You need to solder two wires, one for the INT signal and one for the OVR signal. its pretty easy as the two signals are found on the expansion port next to the 68000 cpu on the A500

A picture of the install can be seen here

a500_ide_int2_ovr.jpg

Thanks for the information. Looks pretty interresting, as I thought it would require me to solder wires to a chip or something like that. Going back to thinking about what I want to buy. I have another kind of IDE question. Does the wicher500i boot on kick 1.3?

Another option is to use these kind of clips to make the chip connection:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12pcs-mini...umper-probe-for-logical-analyzer/291227909953

I personally soldered in L header pins like at the points where scrappysphinx put the wires, and used short DuPont jumper leads to permit disconnect if needed, but an otherwise neat solution.

The IDE68K can be obtained from MKL here on Amibay usually and he makes different variations depending on the want for IDE or CF, or the orientation for the computer (A500/A1000 have different physical obstructions depending on the direction off the 68K socket). An IDE68K, with a 90-degree IDE header, and the Hyperdisk Flash DOM (powered by pin 20) work nicely from my experience. I've moved on to an HC533 68K accelerator, but have no issues with MKL's unit's quality or function.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom