Feedback
    5 (100%)

Default The first and original pi1541 hat

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180630_102923.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	136918

pi1541 is a real-time, cycle exact, Commodore 1541 disk drive emulator that can run on a Raspberry Pi 3B (or 3B+) designed by Steve White. This board has been designed using the Steve’s schematics. The installation is super easy. The board goes on the top of the Raspberry Pi 3 (like a HAT). Just plug the HAT, put the SDcard with the required software and you are done .

This new version (different from my github version) of the board includes:

• Custom PCB.
    • 220 2.54 connector.
    • 5 buttons.
    • Levelshifter
    • Buzzer (yes, its emulates the seek of the floppy drive), only first 9 units.
    • Plastic separator (screw required).

All the components are presoldered.
    This board does not include.

• Raspberry Pi 3 or similar.
    • 0.96″ OLED Screen (GND VCC SCL SDA pinout) (this used to browse the SD directly without connect the PI to the HDMI).

More info about the Steve White project, here: https://cbm-pi1541.firebaseapp.com/

Some good friends help me with the reviews:

https://youtu.be/aC2hYmPMNzM

Note: Because of I ran out of DIN PCB connector. All this new units came with a hand-made IEC cable that plug directly on the pcb. Also the last that remain units in stock will came without buzzer component. You can buy one and solder it on the PCB.

23€ + 2€ Shipping, normal non tracked, worldwide

Order directly from my little store: https://www.arananet.net/pedidos/pro...-1541-c-drive/

Thanks.
    Edu.
    Last edited by Arananet; 1st July 2018 at 19:39.

Country
    United States
    Region:
    West Virginia
    Feedback
    1 (100%)

I ordered one. A few quick questions:

1) Do you know of any cases (like the clear cases with open sides) that accomodate the hat and would provide at least a little bit of protection?

2) Do I need any software to run it besides moving my SD2IEC SD Card to the Pi? For example, would CBM File Browser just come up the same as with an SD2IEC?

3) What is the power draw? For example, would a 1 amp generic microUSB phone charger be enough (since I have many of those lying around)?

4) Can I run the SD Card through a USB Adapter on the PI or does it need to be in the main PI SD slot?

5) Since this is a full 1541, would it work OK being daisy chained to a real 1541 or 1571?

6) If I have another Pi 3 B+ that is being used as a RetroPi/Amibian machine, can it still run or boot as a normal PI or does it become a single purpose 1541 emulator once the hat is installed?

Thanks,

Kristin
    Last edited by kwhizzy; 2nd July 2018 at 00:46.

Country
    Spain
    Region:
    Madrid
    Feedback
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kwhizzy View Post
    I ordered one. A few quick questions:

1) Do you know of any cases (like the clear cases with open sides) that accomodate the hat and would provide at least a little bit of protection?

2) Do I need any software to run it besides moving my SD2IEC SD Card to the Pi? For example, would CBM File Browser just come up the same as with an SD2IEC?

3) What is the power draw? For example, would a 1 amp generic microUSB phone charger be enough (since I have many of those lying around)?

4) Can I run the SD Card through a USB Adapter on the PI or does it need to be in the main PI SD slot?

5) Since this is a full 1541, would it work OK being daisy chained to a real 1541 or 1571?

6) If I have another Pi 3 B+ that is being used as a RetroPi/Amibian machine, can it still run or boot as a normal PI or does it become a single purpose 1541 emulator once the hat is installed?

Thanks,

Kristin
    Hi,

Ok, some of the question I can reply others don't (software related).

1-Not at this time. Maybe in a few weeks I made one for my hat and share on my thingiverse.

2-You need to follow Steve's instructions.

3-You will need like Raspberry Pi recommend any at least 5v / 1Amp power supply.

4-I don't know, I haven't tested.

5-This version is for use directly to the IEC port.

6-You can exchange SD for retropie.. to pi1541 sd.. I don't fully understand this question.. if its just that or are you telling something else

Regards,
    Edu.

- - - Updated - - -

New price. 20€ plus 2€ shipping worldwide.

Edu.

Country
    USA
    Region:
    New York
    Feedback

Hey!!! I am full on excited about this, but I have a few questions.

1) Can you navigate through the system with open commands or JiffyDOS @commands?
    So I can change disks without actually touching the RPi.

2) Can it do D64, D71, and D81 filetypes?

3) Is this running on a linux os, or are you banging the metal?

4) Can it emulate multiple drives. IE, can you have it answer as all 4 IEC devices for application that need multiple drives.

5) Have you checked to see how much resources the RPi is using load?

6) is there any I/O left to... say, connect the RS232 to the Pi and have it also be a WiFi modem?

Depending on the answers... I have a FLEET of other questions.