Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
Hi all, i recently purchased this M-TEC 68030 for the A500

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/mtec530

I have tested the card in an A500+ and it seems to work fine. Sysinfo shows as a 68030 at 14mhz and the 4mbram is found added by AutoAddMem or the M-Tec install disk.

It was noted in a post on here that member Oozic got this particular card working in a CDTV which is my intended destination for it. I have de-soldered the power connectors and laid them 90 degree flat to the motherboard as they were getting in the way, i have also de-soldered the large capacitor and attached it with some wires so card now fits nicely and i can get the lid on however it doesn't work.

There are four jumpers on the board labelled

CDI
MMU
HIGH

on the a500+ all jumpers are off and it works fine.

In the cdtv, with no jumpers on i get a quick flash of a grey screen followed by black screen with no signal on the tv.

I have tried all possible configurations of the jumpers and the only way i can get it to boot on the CDTV is when the CDI jumper is closed but i believes this is just disabling the card cause it boots as a 68000 and AutoAddMem finds no ram and the M-TEC installdisc gives a message in German that translates as No Turbocard Found.

Anyone have any tips here?

Thanks

Hi, i did disable the extended roms and test too, again i get a quick flash of grey screen and then no signal message re-appears on the tv :(
The only way i can get the card to do anything is with the CDI jumper closed but as i mentioned i believe this is just disabling the card

I have 2.30 extended roms on the CDTV and currently using a 1.3/3.1 dual rom on a 27c800 eprom. I have however tried original kickstarts 1.3, 2.04 and 3.1 too

Last edited:
What about disabling CDTV boot rom? Jp15 on mb if I remember correctly.

Wysłane z mojego ASUS_Z00AD przy użyciu Tapatalka

Thats what i meant by i have disabled the extended roms above :)

From my experience none of the 030 boards worked with my CDTV neither A500+A570. As soon as I connected A570 the A500 failed to boot with similar behavior. I gave up, sorry I could not help.
What I did not checked so far was clocks stability and psu voltage drops. Without 030 5v power is only 4.9. Better Psu may be required as original is 25W max. Also 000@14Mhz failed to work with my CDTV, so I could expect CDAC(?) signal not good enough. No idea.

Hi Sveta, I saw your post, very impressive system. Does the cd drive still work with yours?

@orl1a, this particular card has been claimed to work on these forums and someone on Facebook has also said they have used this card in a cdtv. I just can't get mine working lol

Sveta modified CDTV to use picoPSU. I wrote that my CDTV may not be working with 030 due to poor power efficiency of my original PSU, as I already expanded my CDTV with 3,5inch SCSI HD, IDE+CF, USB, 2MB CHIP, 8MB FAST,...
Recently I recapped PSU... but had no time to check 030 after that.

Could it be the memory causing the issue.

I found on my A500 with the A570 drive, if I used the Kipper2k 8mb CF adapter. the CDdrive would not be recognised

I was told this is because they are using the same address (Similar to the A1200 PCIMCA card slot when using 8mb)

maybe Sveta doesn't have this problem because he is using 32mb fastram so like the A1200 is no longer effected?

Maybe I should try my vampire with the A570 to see if it has a conflict

Last edited:
from what i've read the card has been used with the cdtv but the ram and cd drive do conflict. The issue for me is even with the extended roms disabled i still cannot get the cdtv to boot at all. I'll keep plugging away at it and see if i can get anywhere. If not then i'll find a use for the card or sell it on :)

you want me to try the card in mine :LOL:

haha,i've confirmed the card is fine, had it working in a 500 and a 500+ now, just doesn't wanna play ball in the cdtv

haha,i've confirmed the card is fine, had it working in a 500 and a 500+ now, just doesn't wanna play ball in the cdtv

Is it possible to try and contact the chap who has had it successfully installed in his cdtv. I think his details are in the original sales thread

Could it be the memory causing the issue.

I found on my A500 with the A570 drive, if I used the Kipper2k 8mb CF adapter. the CDdrive would not be recognised

I was told this is because they are using the same address (Similar to the A1200 PCIMCA card slot when using 8mb)

maybe Sveta doesn't have this problem because he is using 32mb fastram so like the A1200 is no longer effected?

Maybe I should try my vampire with the A570 to see if it has a conflict
I found that on A500 TF530 conflicts with Z2 type memory extensions. Looks it is all about firmware to assign non conflicting memory areas.

Is it possible to try and contact the chap who has had it successfully installed in his cdtv. I think his details are in the original sales thread

I have sent a pm but he hasn't been on here since October last year. I have spoken to others on Facebook too who have used this card.

I have had some progress, instead of the black screen with no signal I now get a yellow screen lol

I've ordered some new CPU sockets for my cdtv and will change that when they arrive. I don't think it will make a difference but worth a shot

Good Luck Buddy

If you can get the 030 working in a CDTV with the lid closed as well - that would be absolutely awesome:)

I have sent a pm but he hasn't been on here since October last year. I have spoken to others on Facebook too who have used this card.

I have had some progress, instead of the black screen with no signal I now get a yellow screen lol

I've ordered some new CPU sockets for my cdtv and will change that when they arrive. I don't think it will make a difference but worth a shot

Hi,

Hi Sveta, I saw your post, very impressive system. Does the cd drive still work with yours

Yes CD drive working ok - test with original CDTV game and your question on CD drive is not first.

Already another user on others forum has too this question.

With original CDTV PSU is not possible run CDTV with 030 turbo or others hw. Recap too not help.

Regards, Sveta

Last edited:
I have replaced the PSU in my cdtv with a pico PSU and ian stedmans adapter. I use a 12V 8A power supply to power it all. I still haven't managed to get the card running in the cdtv and i am loosing hope on doing so. Replacing the cpu socket is probably my last thing i'll try. I doubt it will help but i will i will try it anyway :)

Back
Top Bottom