Closed picasso driver for indivision ECS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Bits45

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
Australia
Region
Victoria
Hi,

I am unable to find the Picasso monitor driver for the indivision ECS for my A600.
Where can I download this ?

Thanks

Last edited:
indivision its a just scandoubler, not a rtg video card. so picasso drivers not available.

Your best bet is Superplus or highGFX, both on Aminet but you will need to flash the FW on your Indi ECS.

There exist Picasso96 drivers for the Indi ECS. But they are Alpha or Beta state and require a MMU...

And no further developing is done to them, so status freezed!

Last edited:
I tried highgfx and flashed firmware to 1.15 but still can only display 4 colors.

- - - Updated - - -

Where can I find superplus driver ?, its not on aminet.

BTW Im using an A600.

Last edited:
1024x768 is only 4 colours, superplus (800x600) you can have 16 this is limit of the ECS Chipset. I believe they use overscan to achieve the resolution.

I will attach the driver when I'm home from work.

How come the indivision BMP viewer can display 1024x768x4096 colours on the indivision ECS.
Why can't it be integrated into a graphics driver under devs/monitors.
People say its only a flicker fixer when in fact its more like a graphics card.
Its possible !
If idiots can spend so much time cracking games for piracy why can't they put their skills into producing useful homebrew, like amiga display drivers ?
I am happy to pay for a driver that can display 1024x768x4096 colours on screen.

Thanks

How come the indivision BMP viewer can display 1024x768x4096 colours on the indivision ECS.
Why can't it be integrated into a graphics driver under devs/monitors.
People say its only a flicker fixer when in fact its more like a graphics card.
Its possible !
If idiots can spend so much time cracking games for piracy why can't they put their skills into producing useful homebrew, like amiga display drivers ?
I am happy to pay for a driver that can display 1024x768x4096 colours on screen.

Thanks

Why not go for a Vampire? Then you have RTG and superfast Amiga

This is why nothing is being done.
As far as vampier, over priced and rated.
Im just wondering why people who buy one end up selling it on ebay a few weeks later.

The A600 doesn't have anywhere sensible to attach a graphics card to, nor the resources to run such large resolutions. A 1024x768x12bit (4096 col) image would take over a megabyte of chip RAM, with a maximum of 2MB possible. With the HAM mode (which is essentially an image compression of sorts) you can just barely display static images but there's no way to have Workbench or anything remotely interactive displayed like that. There's nothing any coder can do about these limitations.

A significant hardware boost is needed and that's essentially what the Vampire gives you; it's not limited by the original design because everything is re-implemented with new hardware and motherboard basically just provides power to it (plus access to the keyboard and such).

Last edited:
This is why nothing is being done.
As far as vampier, over priced and rated.
Im just wondering why people who buy one end up selling it on ebay a few weeks later.

Many people buy all sorts of stuff and sell it again because it was an impulse buy or once they install it and take some photo's they don't know what else to do. For me it sounds like RTG is a goal you want to achieve so maybe for you it would be worth the investment?

No plans to sell my Vampire 500, once they integrate AGA it will do everything my top end PPC A4000 used to do.

As I understand it, it's a special mode built into the FPGA on the Indivision, so not really a part of the Amiga chipset. But it's far too slow to use for any kind of interactive content, as the data still needs to be passed to it via the custom chipset bus which isn't very fast.

Graphics cards in the big box Amigas either live in the Zorro bus or a local PCI bus (CyberStormPPC / BlizzardPPC) which allows for much faster data transfer.

This special mode would be good for viewing photos tho.
Can someone write an image viewer for this mode for common jpegs and ham8 etc.

Thanks

This special mode would be good for viewing photos tho.
Yes
Can someone write an image viewer for this mode for common jpegs and ham8 etc.

Thanks

Yeah but it's not much worth it, would be slow as hell. It's best to use a converter on a fast system to make 12-bit BMPs from the originals.

To begin with, most JPGs wouldn't even fit uncompressed in the 8-10 MB max RAM a vanilla A500/A600 can have.
Considering they're generally 24-bit pics, an 8 MB buffer allows for ~2.8 million pixels, easily surpassed by even "ancient" 3.3 MP cameras.
If you stick to ~2 MP (1600 x 1200) storing in RAM and subsequently downgrading to 12 bits is doable but JPEG decoding will still be painfully slow on the 68000 (in the order of minutes).

The situation is a bit better time-wise with HAM8, the image viewer would have to parse the whole HAM8 file pixel for pixel and produce a mock 24-bit BMP from it which would then downgrade to 12-bit for viewing, this is faster math than JPEG decoding but still not real-time fast. And still needs a large RAM buffer (HAM8 max size is 1280 x 512 so the resulting 24-bit BMP would be ~2 MB in size).

picasso driver for indivision ECS ?

I use to have my A600 displaying a 800x600 workbench in 256 colours, thanks to Indi ECS and my ACA630 which has MMU.
This required to reflash the Indivision with v1.1 core, using MMU libs and installing beta version of Picasso.
From memory few new monitors settings were working but unfortunately I’ve never been able to locate my CF card with the final settings and I can’t remember how I did everything, really. I need to try again...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom