Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031 LastLast

Thread: A4000TX ATX Amiga motherboard

Country
    Australia
    Region:
    NSW
    Feedback
    3 (100%)

I have a couple of VP101-3BA video DACS here for my builds and was wondering if I still need to populate the LM385 (D507) & 1K (R466) resistor?

Country
    Germany
    Region:
    Niedersachsen
    Feedback
    4 (100%)

Should work out of the Box if D507 and R466 are unpopulated, but to get correct Video Levels R509 must changed from 562Ohm to 542Ohm...
    Without this change the video levels are a bit off since internal reference of VP101-3BA is 1,2V while LM385-1.2 is 1,23V.

Country
    Australia
    Region:
    NSW
    Feedback
    3 (100%)

@dorken,

Thanks for the info. May as well use the LM385-1.2 as I have a few of them but no 542Ohm resistors.

Country
    Ireland
    Region:
    Donegal
    Feedback
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Nrg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladejack View Post
    Just looking advice on the best 68030 QFP that can be used,
    I bought MC68030FE33C
    Apologies for only replying now to thank you. I completely missed this answer, thanks

Country
    United Kingdom
    Region:
    Beds
    Feedback
    1 (100%)

I'm thinking this would make a great project to while away the pending winter. However, I'm not clear on the kit required to assemble and set up.
    Would I need anything more than a soldering iron and lots of patience? Do any of the chips (GAL, PIC) require programming? Other than the kickstart ROMs, that is.
    Thanks

Country
    Denmark
    Region:
    Zealand, Naestved
    Feedback
    231 (100%)

Well, you need the patience, thats for sure

(Disclaimer: I'm no expert in this, what is below is my own experience as a hobbyist and I have no formal electronics education)

I ordered the exact number of components as a set from mouser and went through a bag of components at a time, checking them off the list.

PIC and ATMega needs programming, but all of that is in the instructions that Hese provides, and those programmers are fairly cheap too.

Also a good magnifying lamp too (led, diopter 3 or better), as lots of the resistors and caps are reduced to 805 size on this board (in contrast to the 1:1 remakes).

Make sure you get an iron with direct heating element (maybe the KSGER T12, which is a Hakko knockoff) and use a knife tip (KU worked for me), as it will be good to drag solder components in place.

Get some good sticky flux (I used Amtec NC-559-V2-TF, because it can handle a lot of heat), and some Kester 4mm 60/40 leaded solder. Consider using two sizes - one for SMD, and one for TH, as the smaller soldering wire will need meters to supply the Zorro connectors...

I Used around ~30 hours building two TX's side by side, but I wanted components to be straight and soldering to be solid (I had only previously done a ReAmiga 1200 v1.5, but the TXs really taxed my patience..).

Thats my two cents

Country
    United Kingdom
    Region:
    Beds
    Feedback
    1 (100%)

Many thanks for the detailed response, screemo. Great stuff

Based on the information you provided, I have the confidence to give it a go and have pm'd hese.

How difficult is it to source the non-BOM components? The Amiga chipset looks simple enough, but from this and other threads it looks like some have struggled to source stuff like the CPU connector and DAC.

Thanks again.

Country
    England
    Region:
    Gloucestershire
    Feedback
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ChewChew View Post
    Many thanks for the detailed response, screemo. Great stuff

Based on the information you provided, I have the confidence to give it a go and have pm'd hese.

How difficult is it to source the non-BOM components? The Amiga chipset looks simple enough, but from this and other threads it looks like some have struggled to source stuff like the CPU connector and DAC.

Thanks again.
    Hey ChewChew,

I used the Mouser BOM that Hese provided as part of the order, and sourced most of the custom chips from screemo's thread http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...t=1200+chipset
    With regards to re CPU card connector - I'm just sticking to the onboard '030, but if i've understood you and you google the part number KEL 8807-200-170s-f, you should see a US supplier as the first returned item that will sell it to you for under 30 shipped.

Then there is a handful of parts that are easily sourced online. It is an expensive hobby
    Last edited by ObjectiveD; 30th September 2020 at 15:33. Reason: markup had errors
    A500/+ (Various) A600 Vampire A1000 x2
    GBA1000 (in progress...) A1200 A2000
    A4000TX (in bits)

Country
    United Kingdom
    Region:
    Beds
    Feedback
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ObjectiveD View Post

With regards to re CPU card connector - I'm just sticking to the onboard '030, but if i've understood you and you google the part number KEL 8807-200-170s-f, you should see a US supplier as the first returned item that will sell it to you for under 30 shipped.
    Thanks, ObjectiveD. I too intend to use the onboard 030, but would to keep open the option of fitting a CPU card in the future. Also, I don't like to leave a project incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by ObjectiveD View Post

Then there is a handful of parts that are easily sourced online. It is an expensive hobby
    Hmm, you've got me worried. How much did the stuff from Mouser cost?

Country
    sweden
    Region:
    Ostersund
    Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by ChewChew View Post

Hmm, you've got me worried. How much did the stuff from Mouser cost?
    I'm also interested in this.. anyone?

Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031 LastLast