A4000TX ATX Amiga motherboard

Hello
I'm interested in one piece of new batch with working PC mouse and keyboard.
Maybe in future revision you can add Ratte Auto Monitor Switch?

Last edited:
Amazing work, hese!

But I think, I'll wait for revision 2. ;-)

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

This is really awesome stuff! Great work! I'm totally interested in a revision 2 board when they're due to come out. I got a spare case in mind already!

Is there a way I can get a parts list so I can hunt down the custom chips and the like in the meantime? I don't have an Amiga to sacrifice so I want to be ready for it. :)

Last edited:
Great work! I really want one. Hese, is there going to be a second batch within 2019?

I don't know.. People have shown so little interest in the prototype board sales that there doesn't seem to be much reason for more batches.

Guess almost everybody is waiting for the PCI version..?

I don't know.. People have shown so little interest in the prototype board sales that there doesn't seem to be much reason for more batches.

At least the fixed revision.

I don’t think that’s it at all. I think most are waiting for the working PS/2 implementation so that more modern/readily available mice and kbs can be used versus the more scarce and expensive Amiga stuff. Well, at least that’s what *I* specifically am waiting for. I couldn’t care less about PCI and Mediator garbage. You can count on an order from me once the Ps2 stuff is working.

I don't know what's the majority's opinion, but I was also waiting for the fixed PS/2 release, PCI is of no interest for me. I have stopped building Alice to save the components for the fixed version, so I'm still interested.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Indeed. Fixed PS/2 release was why I have not snapped one up.

I'm also waiting for the fixed revision :)

I love the current revision it's just the broken PS2 that puts me off. I can't speak for everyone but if you released the current board with only the PS2 fixed I would be interested. The other modifications planned for 1.1 - Stedy's floppy adapter is useful but can be bought separately, bigger roms is nice but I don't think I will use them and you can run as many fans as you can fit directly from the PSU. I think the most important thing for the next revision is there are no similar problems or people will just wait for the next one as they have done here. I would play it safe for 1.1 and then take any risks after that.

Last edited:
I'm indeed waiting for the PCI revision, but if this turns out to be very difficult/long running to implement, I'd also be very happy with the PS/2 fixed revision.

I guess, form factor violations aside, the current version could run with a Prometheus, right? I was playing with the thought of constructing an angled Zorro connector that could displace the Prometheus to the area of the ISA slots that I would leave unpopulated. I don't know, if something like that would be possible, though....

Best,
Torsten

Well, I am in for a board like in the first batch. I don't really mind about the pci or ps2, but I wouldn't mind to wait for a pcb with these features.

I would love to get a new/fresh A4000TX so I could have a proper easy access tower instead of my current 4000D.
Would it be possible to "clean up" the mb by dropping any on-board cpu and designing it for a single fast-ram slot (16M/64M/128M(well, near enough))?
(BTW, is it the custom chips that is limiting the CPU's chipmem speed, or some other control logic? Any ways to make it faster than the sorry state of today?)

I'm very interested, just waiting for the fixed A4000TX version.
Expect at least 2 boards for me.

Last edited:
Would it be possible to "clean up" the mb by dropping any on-board cpu and designing it for a single fast-ram slot (16M/64M/128M(well, near enough))?
(BTW, is it the custom chips that is limiting the CPU's chipmem speed, or some other control logic? Any ways to make it faster than the sorry state of today?)

IMHO, a single fast ram slot would make the machine even slower, since the A4000 supports RAM interleaving across several banks, IF modules are present pairwise.

Also, I think the chip mem speed is carefully chosen to match the interaction between the custom chips. They are controlled by Alice, not by the CPU, that's why it's slow if accessed by the latter.

I guess you should keep in mind, that the Amiga's basic design is 35 years old. It simply cannot be a fast machine by today's standards...

However, most of the available software is written and optimized for the smaller desktop Amigas, so a 4000 should give you a decent performance nontheless.

Back in the day, I did raytracing on an A500 with a 512k chip RAM extension and it was just normal to wait 36 hours for a single frame of an animation to be rendered... If you want it any faster than an A4000, I think UAE is the only alternative. (Or an A600 with a Vampire turbo card, for that matter ;)

Anyway, the Amiga is a fairly open and expandable system, so who knows if one of the hardware gurus here will one day be able to get rid of the distinction between chip and fast RAM altogether...

Last edited:
Is the PS2 PC support easily fixed or is it still potentially problematic? if it's the latter just remove it and add the standard Amiga 4000 keyboard connector for now (there are adapters for PC keyboards available) and people can just use a serial mouse, get a 100% working base version out and experiment with all of the little bits people want adding later. I'd have been happy with a straight conversion of your Alice to fit inside ATX cases.

The prototype is 99% genius it's just I'd guess (as it's how I feel) that most people are reluctant to put £300 worth of components on a PCB that appears as beta/experimental/unfinished, even though the PS2 support is not really needed if it's there I feel like it should be working. :)

Last edited:

Maybe a new thread specifically to see how many people express interest for buying the first or the second batch?

Back
Top Bottom