A4000TX ATX Amiga motherboard

Wow! Kudos for this work! I, too, am interested in buying if it becomes available.

Saw a few questions above I think I can help with a few answers:

1) A1200 donate chips? You will need more chips. Super Buster, Ramsey, Fat Gary, RTC, a number of TTL parts, plus likely CPU parts or a CPU card. You won't re-use Gayle, 68020.

2) Omit 68030/68882? The Alice board can be configured to not have a CPU, so my guess is it is similar here. A standard A4000T (And some A4000D's) don't have a CPU, and expects a CPU card.

Awesome work! Maybe I am just imagining this, Hese, but, are there quite a few less passive components on this board than on a standard 4000 and the Alice? Maybe it's just my old eyes, but I could swear there are fewer pads for MLCCs and TFRs than on the Alice PCB I am currently assembling.

Wonderful!!! Hese, you are our hero!

As many other people has said (and with my experience on A4000 Alice), please you could consider:

1.- 112 MB Hack (or at least 64MB Hack that is very very simple to implement. One more GAL needed).
2.- Don't remove 68030/68882, it is a very good way to have a basic Amiga 4000. For those that don't want to use it, you can let it un-populated.
3.- Let space for all GALs in order to have PLCC sockets (THT preferably).
4.- You could include a "ratte auto monitor switch" for the VGA, it needs a very few PCB surface. Will every one have RTG?

Last edited:
I'm interested in this too. But I have no soldering skills and I'm unsure how I would get the parts. Where does one buy the cpu/chips needed for this.

Awesome work! Maybe I am just imagining this, Hese, but, are there quite a few less passive components on this board than on a standard 4000 and the Alice? Maybe it's just my old eyes, but I could swear there are fewer pads for MLCCs and TFRs than on the Alice PCB I am currently assembling.
Now Hese seems to use SMD resistor packs.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm interested in this too. But I have no soldering skills and I'm unsure how I would get the parts. Where does one buy the cpu/chips needed for this.
CPU 68030 -> ebay.
CPU 68060 -> ebay, amibay.
Custom chips -> ebay, amibay, other online shops (like icomp.de, amigastore.eu, analogic.co.uk, etc.)
Electronic components and connectors -> mouser, digikey, etc.

Last edited:
Conratulations Hese, another impressive offering.

Not sure of the usefullness of the ISA slots. The inclusion of PCI slots would have been better. But I guess pcb realestate limitation would have procluded the circuitary required. However could a variant be produced that had the PCI slots on, which could then be activated by pugging in a Elbox Mediator card?

Wonderful work, definitely interested in one if it will be available. I got a Commodore Gaming Case ready for this beauty!! :devil:

Great job, you are a Master ! :woot::woot::woot::woot:

Send me PM for price if avaible !

It is necessary to clone hese. I propose to do a crowfounding to replicate hese! :roll:

The Zorro-Termination with resistior-arrays is a bad sollution by commo. They become very hot and are waisitng only energy! Im working on a busboard with a simple 1117-Line regulator and some series of resistors to make this terminator "active" like active SCSI-terminators. But this is still work in progress.

This thevenin termination was State of the Art at the time of A3000/4000...
Now Active Termination ist the choice, but this 1117 regulator ist not sufficient, there must be source/sink capability, so some Regulator for SCSI termination like 1118 ist required.
This High Current Termination with 330/220 Ohm was build with >5 Slots in mind, with fewer Slots the resistor values could rised to 440/330 Ohm, so with active Termination 180Ohm Arrays and two LT1118-2.85 schould sufficient to power all 52 terminated Lines

I'll certainly buy one..or two. Do you have a email list or other way to announce when are you do sell these?

This is awesome and I'd absolutely buy a finished one if they become available, Hese!

I hope you're taking notes of some of the suggestions in the thread though for enhancements. There's some good suggestions in here...

Wow, so many replies :blink:

I'll put the remaining blue prototype PCBs for sale soon here on Amibay. I'll order the production PCBs after I have added some small of the features that have been requested (if there is enough space on board).

k0x said:
Does A4000T only accelerators fit on these board?

The GVP QuikPak 68060 "ultrasound" accelerator doesn't fit on the board. It's too wide.

k0x said:
Feature - what about integration of Floppy-fix?

Yes, something like that would be doable.

k0X said:
But PS2 for PC mouse - its very outdated, I would better see there USB HID solution.

https://github.com/simoninns/SmallyMouse2

That sounds interesting, I'll check out the project. Support for USB keyboards would also be nice to have.

k0x said:
Cosmos made several improvements and this would be useful to integrate - PIO2 and 4MB ROM.

Yes, support for expanded Kickstart ROMs would be nice to have. But you need an extra GAL chip (etc.) for it and as far as I know the project hasn't been published. If I'd get a permission to add this to the motherboard, I would.

k0x said:
Integration of PCI slots would the craziest thing by far.

The next major revision (2.0) will add support for PCI. Whether it is by using Prometheus or Mediator, I'm not certain yet. But it will be done.

k0x said:
Is 68030 CPU onboard mandatory for 4000D rev D board?

No, it's optional. You can leave the 68030 CPU unpopulated and use a CPU card (A3640, CSPPC, ...) instead.

mattymuc said:
The one and only thing I'm missing is the 64MB or 128MB hack to get more memory.

I can add 64MB Fast RAM hack to the next revision but the motherboard needs major rerouting (and increased to more layers) as the board is so full of traces that adding more components is quite difficult. I'll post some pictures of the Eagle project soon so you can see how dense the board is with traces.

daywalker said:
this board needs the ISA slots technically replaced with at least PCI slots

Yes, PCI support will come to the 2.0 revision.

krisbA said:
I am curious if running the keyboard and mouse in the prototype version is difficult

If you mean the PC PS/2 keyboard and mouse, the prototype motherboard doesn't fully support them. They work somewhat but aren't really useable. The PC PS/2 device support needs a bit of rework and will be supported only in the production version that will be released later.

rlake said:
Is there space for a USB HID keyboard?

Not in the current revision but possibly could be added to the next one.

fabbie54 said:
Out of curiosity, is there room to accommodate all 4000 accelerators?
Would it be possible to build in the IDE PIO-2 and 64MB Fast RAM hacks?
Could the onboard 030 be clocked at 50MHz?

No, there is no room to accommodate every A4000 accelerator. You can't install a GVP 68060 "ultrasound" accelerator there, and I'm not certain about QuikPak 4060 accelerator either. But others should fit.
64MB Fast RAM hack can be implemented to a later revision. IDE PIO2 hack just needs the original PIO0 GALs to be replaced with another chips, so that support is already there.
The on-board 68030 can't be clocked to run at 50MHz, it runs synchronously with the motherboard's 25MHz clock.

MatthiasH said:
What about the ATX-Power-On?

The ATX power-on is implemented using NE555 timer circuit. The motherboard supports standard ATX power push button, so no need to do any modifications to the ATX case.

MatthiasH said:
The Zorro-Termination with resistior-arrays is a bad sollution by commo. They become very hot and are waisitng only energy! Im working on a busboard with a simple 1117-Line regulator and some series of resistors to make this terminator "active" like active SCSI-terminators. But this is still work in progress.

True, the resistor packs get very hot. Please let me know when you have the busboard working, I would be interested in replacing the solution with something more suitable.

thebajaguy said:
The wish list I'd put up for general consideration would be to push the ROM size limit to allow 1MB (employ ROMY).

If I receive permission from the author, I certainly would like to add the Romy to the motherboard.

Wallbraker said:
Does it come in black?

The prototype boards are blue. The production boards will come in black.

Flash951 said:
Will it be a good idea to include 64 MB Fast RAM modification, it only requires some re-routing and no extra components

The 64MB Fast RAM hacks that I have seen required an additional GAL chip to work. There is a solution that doesn't require extra components?

Casey4147 said:
Would a 1200 have everything required?

No. A1200 doesn't have the SuperBuster, Bridgette, Fat Gary or Ramsey chips that are also needed for this motherboard.

kirk_m said:
Maybe I am just imagining this, Hese, but, are there quite a few less passive components on this board than on a standard 4000 and the Alice.

You are not imagining. The board uses smd resistor arrays that contains four resistors in a single chip, thus taking four times less space than using individual 1206 resistors.

shanshe said:
Let space for all GALs in order to have PLCC sockets (THT preferably).

Can do but would it be enough to have sockets for the IDE GALs only? I don't see the need to socket the other GALs.

Harkonnen75 said:
It is necessary to clone hese. I propose to do a crowfounding to replicate hese!

Lolz :LOL:

I have so many projects that I'd like to do (some of them are already progressing) and so little time...

kox said:
Cosmos made several improvements and this would be useful to integrate - PIO2 and 4MB ROM.
Yes, support for expanded Kickstart ROMs would be nice to have. But you need an extra GAL chip (etc.) for it and as far as I know the project hasn't been published. If I'd get a permission to add this to the motherboard, I would.

Replacement JED files for PIO2 are available here :

http://leblogdecosmos.blogspot.com/2011/06/a4000d-pio-2.html

The Schematics and JED files for 4MB ROM are here :

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=88182

Back
Top Bottom