A4000TX ATX Amiga motherboard

That is an amazing project and looks to me very well planed and made. I would love to get one of these in the future (replace one of my 2 A4000s) and I am betting more likely than the AmyITX I have been waiting on for something like 3 years (giving that one up).

Do you have a project page for these?

Do you have a project page for these?

Let me introduce to you the latest Amiga motherboard project I've been working on.

A4000TX ATX motherboard
, the first Amiga based motherboard in ATX form factor (actually a hybrid ATX/EATX form factor).
A4000TX is an A4000cr motherboard and daughterboard embedded together with a few additional features.
The motherboard is fully hand-routed like the A4000+ Alice motherboards.

I'm interested in one of these boards but I lack the detailed soldering skills necessary. If I source the chips is someone making these?

What would be crazy is to see things like usb, scan doubling, etc added. Much of what Jens and others have worked on.

Still would love to buy a populated board though.

Nyle

Last edited:
I'm interested in one of these boards but I lack the detailed soldering skills necessary. If I source the chips is someone making these?

I'm also interested in buying a fully populated board. If possible, I'd also like to get the "no-hassle" deal of not having to source my own chips, since currently I do not actually own any Amiga hardware. If this is not possible, finding a "for parts" board for salvaging chips is an option.

interested in one too :) I want to build one more. I love my A4000TX :) I bought A3660 pcb in blue to finish my buidling. :D

Last edited:
Hi all, count me in on one of these as well please, top work.

I would be also interested in at least one if there would be a new batch, especially with modification. Also just letting know about the demand :D.

I'd like to get all of your input on Hese's great A4000TX ATX motherboard and put forward a request to try and integrate USB support in the next revision if possible. I know were all fond of floppy drive support but it's so outdated today that it's pointless putting one in a new/old Amiga.

I'd like to get all of your input on Hese's great A4000TX ATX motherboard and put forward a request to try and integrate USB support in the next revision if possible. I know were all fond of floppy drive support but it's so outdated today that it's pointless putting one in a new/old Amiga.
I've got lots of floppy disks from back then which are still in a good shape. Thus, I wouldn't want to dump floppy support completely.
And if hese can replace the ISA slots by PCI (which he said he's willing to do in one of the next releases), you've got several options for fast USB support.

in follow a short update of my 4000tx. After searching I found blue A3660 pcb and build a complete card. So finally my device is nearly complete (incl. xsurf 100/USB) in blue color and only the scandoubler and the cybervision still in green..... but it´s okay.

Here few screens:

photo_2019-06-26_21-20-58.jpg

photo_2019-06-26_21-21-22.jpg

everything work fine and I never had any problems with this combination !!

Hese you made a great job !!

Last edited:
Well now with hese's announcement of the AA3000+ I'm becoming really uncertain which one to aim for.

The most obvious pro of the A4000TX is that I could just put it in a unmodified ATX case. The internal and external connectors are very well placed to make for a tidy setup.
For me, the most obvious con of the A4000TX is the lack of PCI support. There are options, of course: One could plug in a Prometheus, but would have to live with several cable extensions to rotate all external PCI connectors by 90 degrees and route them to the outside. Also, this solution lacks Sonnet support.
One could also plug in a Mediator 3/4000T, but this would make the video slot inaccessible which rules out several flicker fixers... Hese also promised built-in PCI support, but in the light of his full calendar, this will probably take longer than my patience usually lasts... ;-)

The AA3000+ on the other hand would be best suited for an A3000 case, which I don't posess. Thus, I'd have to towerize it meaning heavy modifications to a standard PC case. On the pro side, it comes with a full flicker fixer, a Ratte switch, onboard DSP, SCSI, and PCI which saves a lot of expansion trouble. Also, owning a reborn and enhanced version of the "Amiga that never was" has an extremely high coolness factor. :)
However, the PCI again is lacking Sonnet support. And replacing the busboard by a Mediator is probably not an option, because the Firebird busboard seems to be a hybrid between A3000 and A4000 with connectors being spaced to suit neither the former nor the latter...

Why am I so keen on Sonnet support? Well, I've got a Killer M1 and all the parts for an A3660 lying around and have no intention to pay 2000+ EUR for a Cyberstorm PPC.

It probably is a luxury problem, but I find it really hard to decide. And I definitely don't want to build both given the cost and rarity of the custom chips.

I'd really like some opinions on the matter in the hopes that this does not go beyond the boundaries of this thread.
Thanks in advance!

Okay, I made up my mind.

I'll go down the A4000TX road once hese releases the new revision with fixed PS/2 support.

For PCI support, I'll use the Mediator 3/4000T, connected to the lowermost Zorro slot via some kind of relocator I have yet to design. The relocator should offset the Mediator such that it covers the area where the ISA slots would go (which I don't intend to populate) but leaves out the video slot. Doing it that way should also eliminate the need to rise the Zorro cards, because the Mediator and the mainboard could basically touch each other (with insulation, of course) which would result in a very small height offset...

Also, I want to modify the Mediator for 3.3V operation, which should be easy since an ATX power supply will be present anyway supplying that voltage "for free". :)

I never managed to own an A4000 back in the day, now as the prices are a bit to high for my liking I probably never will .
Can anyone answer if one can build an A4000TX with out having an A4000 for donor parts. I have a lovely case ready for such a thing, and was going to put an A1200 in it....

With the likes of the remixed A500 boards you needed a few parts that are no longer made new is this the case for the 4000 ??
If this is the case am I Right in thinking the A1200 could be a source fro a few, along with online sellers etc. or is this a just dont bother world of hurt thing.

It's not necessary to have an A4000 board for donor, you can purchase the Amiga custom chips from online sellers. And also all the other components required for the A4000TX. But having an A4000 donor board could bring the costs down comparing to purchasing all the custom chips brand new.

Back
Top Bottom