Atari 800 Model / Raspberry Pi Case

Charlie

.. . Mouse . ..
Country
UK
Region
Wirral
Just a quickie:
I'd quite like an original Atari 800, but not at the prices they currently fetch! Ho-hum, maybe a Raspberry Pi case could be fun - I wonder if there are any good models on Thingyverse? Nope!
Ok... I'll make one myself, how hard can it be..?

-A Long Time Later-

A800_Done.jpgA800_Done_Lid_Off.jpg
A800_Done._Rear.jpgA800_Done._Rear_Lid_Off.jpg
A800_Cura.jpg

I've tried to make the model as accurate as possible with plenty of room for a full-size Pi and any other gubbins - indeed I suspect there's room for other options... I've also tried to make it as modular / functional as I can: For instance, with a bit of effort the keyboard should be just large enough to be made functional. (a lot of work required!) If wanted for other purposes, or just as a model, it should be accurate enough to serve.

If anyone wants to files let me know - yes it's quite big and so will take a while to print, but there's nothing to stop it from being scaled down (or up!).

Last edited:
Charlie, i know you're enthusiastic now that you got your 3D printer and all. Not saying don't do it, just thinking i wouldn't. I mean, i'd start searching for the casing and keyboard and shove that Pi in there. That's what my plan is with all the Amiga models i got. I kept one piece of each model i got empty, and they will sooner or later all hold a Pi (except my 4x A1000s which i would never 'sodomize' or mod). Good luck with your project mate! (y)

:)
Thanks for the advice...
...I would certainly want to use other's models where I can - making this was too much like hard work. And don't worry about my butchering a real 800, if I did find one for a sensible price it would be well looked-after... well maybe the odd upgrade. ;-)

hi charlie!

very nice

i had a recent experiment making a sio thingy, arduino based with a 3d printed case. much fun to be had!

I'll pm you.

From your picture, I'm assuming that you've got a delta (Kossel?). I've got a Rostock Max V2, and it doesn't manage to maintain dimensional accuracy in the X an Y directions. So when I print out this:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:386448

I get 10mm where the legs meet, 10.15mm at the end of one leg, and 9.80mm at the other. Not much, but if you are trying to assemble your parts then it could be a problem. And then there's the leveling to deal with...

As for big, two of my other printers can handle 350mm x 330mm x 410mm. It should fit. :)

And I would love to get a copy of your files and try it out here. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom