Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: New board: The VIC-IIČ - PAL/NTSC switch board for Commodore 64

Country
    US&A
    Region:
    CA
    Feedback
    4 (83%)

Default New board: The VIC-IIČ - PAL/NTSC switcher for breadbin Commodore 64s

-= Thank you all for your patience and input - We are excited to announce the official release of the VIC-IIČ and have notified via PM those who kindly registered their interest - Feel free to post support queries in this thread =-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shapeimage_2.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	150688
    PAL/NTSC Switcher Kit for Commodore 64 Assy 250407/250425/250466 only

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190812_005521.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	150690 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inCollage_20191017_234533762.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	150689

Q: Which is better; NTSC or PAL?
    A: Both!

This new 'not-for-profit' 25-piece kit for old 1982+ breadbin Commodore 64 computers from Perifractic's Retro Recipes and 1STAGE will allow your C64 to switch between PAL (Europe/Australia) and NTSC (North America) video output modes, to maximise the best-of-both-worlds in software compatibility, picture quality, nostalgia, speed, resolution, and more. It packs LumaFix64 on board, to improve the C64's notorious vertical image banding too.

Click here for ordering info

Watch the full project video inc. installation guide and factory tour:

PLEASE READ BOTH SECTIONS CAREFULLY:

Before Ordering (important compatibility info)

• Not compatible with slimline "C64C" cases - this only fits "breadbin" original C64 style cases (due to the lower C64C keyboard)
    • The VIC-IIČ has only been tested on breadbin motherboards with "ASSY 250407" or "250425" or "250466" printed on the lower edge - please check you have one of these before ordering as we cannot offer returns
    • Your monitor must support both PAL & NTSC or you will see a black & white image, or no image at all, in one of the modes - please check its specs carefully before ordering (if yours doesn't most "upscaler" devices will, such as the XRGB Mini - see PDF below)
    • VIC-II chips not included - you'll need a 6567 (NTSC) & 6569 (PAL) chip; any "R"evision will work
    • This is not a ready-made product but a kit, and requires soldering experience - you can enquire at the forum below if you need the kit built for you
    • You will receive 2 VIC-IIČ PCBs in your kit, one red one blue (not yellow as pictured) which will cover all 3 ASSY numbers above
    • The kit includes 25 individual tested components, carefully packaged in an anti-static bag and bubble mailer
    • The kit also includes the LumaFix64, and heat sinks (not pictured) to protect your precious VIC chips
    • Parts may differ slightly from those pictured
    • Please allow 28 days for delivery

After Ordering (important instructions/support notes)

• This fully beta tested hobbyist kit is sold 'not-for-profit' therefore thank you for understanding that - due to the extra cost it would add - it is offered without warranty or support...
    • However you can post technical support requests in this thread below where the community and/or the developers can respond
    • Installation guide (not enclosed with product)
    • Installation guide video (watch from 15 mins 43 secs)

Polite Disclaimer:
    If you opt to order, build and install the VIC-IIČ in the notoriously sensitive and unpredictable (yet lovable) vintage Commodore 64s, you do so entirely at your own risk. We cannot be held responsible for any damage or faults caused to your C64, components, yourself, or otherwise, by incorrect or even correct use of this 'not-for-profit' hobbyist do-it-yourself kit - which is sold without warranty or support due to the cost that would have added. The installation process is intended only for users highly competent with electronics engineering and soldering. Thank you.

Above all else we hope you enjoy bringing VIC-II the future!....

Your friend in retro, Perifractic
    http://perifractic.com
    Last edited by Starglider; Yesterday at 06:55. Reason: Product launch
    Starglider aka Perifractic

"Recordar es vivir" | Remembering is living

Country
    USA
    Region:
    New York
    Feedback
    28 (100%)

Please put me down for possibly (1) item.

Obviously pending more info and price.

Is there any way to order it in the opposite boot? Because of my location, I would prefer it to default boot in NTSC, and hold button during boot cycle for PAL when desired.

Also, is there a way to connect the button to the C= key. It would be similar to booting into C64 Mode on a C128. That would be cool.

I look forward to the updates.
    Last edited by MC1173; 11th September 2018 at 06:50. Reason: Poor spelling
    A500 (GVP - A500-HD+)
    Kickstarter C64c (Red, White, Blue, Clear)
    Vic-20 | C64 | C64c | C64G | SX-64 | C128 | C128D (CR)

Country
    US&A
    Region:
    CA
    Feedback
    4 (83%)

Quote Originally Posted by MC1173 View Post
    Please put me down for possibly (1) item.

Obviously pending more info and price.

Is there any way to order it in the opposite boot? Because of my location, I would prefer it to default boot in NTSC, and hold button during boot cycle for PAL when desired.

Also, is there a way to connect the button to the C= key. It would be similar to booting into C64 Mode on a C128. That would be cool.

I look forward to the updates.
    We'll look into that for sure.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Starglider; Yesterday at 23:26.

Country
    Australia
    Region:
    Queensland
    Feedback
    10 (100%)

How much for the banana?

Country
    Denmark
    Region:
    Copenhagen
    Feedback
    67 (100%)

Bananas come in many sizes, so perhaps you could put an apple next to the banana.
    A1200 (NOS) : 030 33MHz 128MB fast RAM (ACA1232) : Indivision AGA MkII : 8GB CF : RR USB : Ethernet
    A600 #1 : 080 V2 : 128MB fast : 2MB chip : Indivision ECS : 32GB CF : RR USB
    : Ethernet | A600 #2 : 010 : 2MB chip
    A500 : 68000 42MHz : 1MB chip : 8MB fast : 4GB CF | A500+ : 080 V2+ : 128MB fast : 2MB chip : 32GB CF

Country
    US&A
    Region:
    CA
    Feedback
    4 (83%)

Quote Originally Posted by MC1173 View Post
    The button will now be a switch so you can leave it in whichever variant you desire; NTSC or PAL. Switching it when the power is on will have no effect.
    Last edited by Starglider; 11th September 2018 at 18:34.

Country
    Canada
    Region:
    New Brunswick
    Feedback
    3 (100%)

I'm interested in one as a kit if that's going to be an option, or even a bare PCB with a BOM. Part of the reason I enjoy this hobby is getting to make things myself.

Will you open source the design?
    Last edited by oggie; 11th September 2018 at 17:52.

Country
    US&A
    Region:
    CA
    Feedback
    4 (83%)

Quote Originally Posted by oggie View Post
    I'm interested in one as a kit if that's going to be an option, or even a bare PCB with a BOM. Part of the reason I enjoy this hobby is getting to make things myself.

Will you open source the design?
    We might be making two versions, a kit and a ready to go (excluding VICs).

We hadn't thought about open source until you asked but will discuss and evaluate. We want what's best for the community. Likely it will be published on GitHub from v1.0. Currently we're at v0.1.
    Last edited by Starglider; Yesterday at 23:26.

Country
    Denmark
    Region:
    Copenhagen
    Feedback
    67 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Starglider View Post
    What would you pay for a kit? We need to make sure we can cover the costs of the boards. They'll be provided at cost price. What feels right?
    Price discussions are not allowed here, so you should probably take that discussion in a different forum to figure out what your price point should be. My suggestion is that you approximate your costs of building an amount that you should be able to sell (maybe start with 25 pcs or so) so you don't set the price too low and then check whether that will scare off people or not. It is not uncommon for larger projects to charge the price up front and then ship them out later when they are ready. After the first batch, you are in a much better position to estimate the costs and workload so you can decide if you want to build a 2nd batch.
    A1200 (NOS) : 030 33MHz 128MB fast RAM (ACA1232) : Indivision AGA MkII : 8GB CF : RR USB : Ethernet
    A600 #1 : 080 V2 : 128MB fast : 2MB chip : Indivision ECS : 32GB CF : RR USB
    : Ethernet | A600 #2 : 010 : 2MB chip
    A500 : 68000 42MHz : 1MB chip : 8MB fast : 4GB CF | A500+ : 080 V2+ : 128MB fast : 2MB chip : 32GB CF

Country
    United States
    Region:
    Michigan
    Feedback
    7 (100%)

I'm interested in the ready-to-go board, and I have a quick question: when you switch from NTSC to PAL, does the CPU speed go from 1.023MHz to 0.985MHz? Fortunately, I have a PVM that supports NTSC and PAL (60Hz - NTSC, 50Hz - PAL).

Edit (09/20/2018): Withdrawing my interest for now since my car needs repairs. Darn potholes. Good luck with the project, man.
    Last edited by retro-pc_user; 20th September 2018 at 22:58. Reason: Interest withdrawn due to car problems

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast