Closed New board: The VIC-II² - PAL/NTSC switch board for Commodore 64

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oo interested (qty 1)! I just acquired my first C64 in 30 years and I'm already having a blast with some of the modern hardware enhancements.

Interested in two kits depending on the final design / implementation choice.
Would prefer to have a solution that does not require any external fitting, case cutting, etc.
Internal application only.

Turns out the answer to "why" nobody has done it until now is because it's quite hard!
I make and sell TOLB, a 8701 clock generator replacement. It HELPS converting a C64 between PAL and NTSC but it doesn't do everything.

I was asked the same question time and time again and my answer was very much the same as yours...

Nice work!

Nice work!

I'm a fan of your work. Thank you!

I've updated the main post with new prototype photos.

All pre-order unit interest is being updated in that post. Thanks everyone.

- - - Updated - - -

Interested in two kits depending on the final design / implementation choice.
Would prefer to have a solution that does not require any external fitting, case cutting, etc.
Internal application only.

Duly noted. This is a challenge at the moment (holding down a hotkey "N" or "P" on boot for example), but we're open to specific suggestions of how to achieve that.

Last edited:
I've been banging my head about those PAL only titles that just won't run on my NTSC bread box. Definitely Interested for 1 un-assembled kit! Looks very nice so far.

edit: That SMT X1 connector pad pitch looks a little scary for me to solder on my own though. Any chance the design could be fully through hole?

Last edited:
I've been banging my head about those PAL only titles that just won't run on my NTSC bread box. Definitely Interested for 1 un-assembled kit! Looks very nice so far.

edit: That SMT X1 connector pad pitch looks a little scary for me to solder on my own though. Any chance the design could be fully through hole?
That one connector will be provided ready mounted even with the kit [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Interested in 2 pre-built.

Also, on this...

I'm interested in the ready-to-go board, and I have a quick question: when you switch from NTSC to PAL, does the CPU speed go from 1.023MHz to 0.985MHz? Fortunately, I have a PVM that supports NTSC and PAL (60Hz - NTSC, 50Hz - PAL).

My understanding is that, in the C64, the clock for the 6510 comes directly from the VIC-II, so I'm betting the answer is Yes.

Now that I am apparently looking for a 6569 chip to do this I have been surprised/appalled at the price these command nowadays on the "other bay"... I have half heartedly looked through the classified here as well and the best I could do was about EUR30 for an R3 chip... which is only marginally better... Is this really what they go for now? Any tips on a good (read: cheap) source for these?

On Amibay we cannot discuss prices. The right price is whatever someone is willing to pay. The VIC-II is one of those chips that tend to die in C64s alongside PLAs and SIDs but those last two have modern remakes that helps to cover that part of the market. For the VIC-II there are only the originals, so most of the ones out there are already used in C64s and thus not available separately. I solved the problem by buying defective C64s, so if you have some that are dead due to a broken PLA, then they can become donors of VIC-IIs and SID chips for other machines..

Maybe interested with EITHER 1 kit OR 1 built depending upon the final price. Mostly for a genuine C64C, which probably has a 5v VIC. I also have a C128 but it is off-topic here.

Last edited:
Declaring interest in 1 or 2 kits depending on price, is it possible to incorporate into your design a 'switchless' design aka using the same design as switchless ROMS (switchless JiffyDos comes to mind) with tapping key inputs lines run/stop or restore to name a few.

Declaring interest in 1 or 2 kits depending on price, is it possible to incorporate into your design a 'switchless' design aka using the same design as switchless ROMS (switchless JiffyDos comes to mind) with tapping key inputs lines run/stop or restore to name a few.
Thanks everyone. We're definitely looking into this but maybe not for the first public release, though I understand the desire.

In the meantime any pointers on how to best achieve this welcomed by PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom