Closed New board: The VIC-II² - PAL/NTSC switch board for Commodore 64

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to get one of these when they are available. Please put me on the list! Thank you.

Quick update:
- We're testing the final candidate boards. They work but we need to make sure our installation instructions are clear, correct, and concise.
- It is a single-board solution (not two as previously mentioned), but there will be both a 250407 and a 250425/250466 version of the board. This accommodates the different location of the jumpers, crystals, and VIC-II sockets between the two motherboards.
- Doesn't fit in a 64c-style case at this time. Sorry. Not a lot of head room, so breadbin cases only for now.
- Doesn't require a case mod. The switch can be trailed out the RF channel switch hole without interrupting it's function.
- Only switches modes AFTER power is turned off, and you can keep it in whichever "default" mode you want. BUT, you must power off. A soft reset won't do it (latching relays).

Well I am curious about how you made this happen, as I have tried this in the past and gave up because I couldn't get stable signals, especially on a breadboard setup. The image would be fekking unstable. I have a C64 half unbuilt with the breadboard setup for this that's been collecting dust for years. I think we ran into basically teh same issues, wires just don't work, but what is that pic on page 1 with a VIC running on a breadboard? I couldn't get such a stable pic at that point because of all the cable nonsense (interference all around)

Weird about not fitting a C64C though, that leaves my interest out of the equation. I was working on fitting it in mine.
Good job on making this to completion unlike me.
[edit] oh I just read it now fits a C64C case. Nice one. Still want to see the instructions and why you are desoldering so much stuff on the board. Did you mess with the clock? I didn't seem to think you need to desolder anything but the crystal.

Last edited:
Still want to see the instructions and why you are desoldering so much stuff on the board. Did you mess with the clock? I didn't seem to think you need to desolder anything but the crystal.

When I tried converting my NTSC 250407 board to PAL by simply replacing the crystal (and setting the appropriate jumper) I got a stable picture, but no color. Maybe it has to do with that? I know others have had similar issues with the same board...

Last edited:
Still want to see the instructions and why you are desoldering so much stuff on the board. Did you mess with the clock? I didn't seem to think you need to desolder anything but the crystal.

Yup, detailed instructions will be provided. If you refer to the video linked in the first post, it shows all the things you have to do to convert NTSC<>PAL. What we are doing is making that conversion switchable, though it's easier said than done.

I'd like to be added to the list!
1 for the 250407
Thank you for your sacrifice. I know how much work these things tend to become.

Last edited:
Why 64c-style cases didn't work for this...

Why 64c-style cases didn't work for this...

By the way, below is a picture of the versions we tested for use on 250407 and 250425/250466 motherboards in the 64c-style cases. Space-wise, they fit GREAT, even with heat sinks!

BUT

The main problem (as Akira and others mentioned) was that the analog signal paths from the VIC-II socket headers to the two VIC-II chips was too long... I couldn't get color signal to work at that length. So we went back to our basic rectangular layout, which had the shortest possible signal paths between the headers and the chips (through the relays).

IMG_3165_small.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Final versions will look about like this...

IMG_3013.jpg

Last edited:
This is looking fantastic! I for one cannot wait for this project to come to fruition. Thank you for all your efforts in developing this!

Last edited:
Update: We have 3 spots remaining on the beta. Application link in the first post. We provide the PCB free of charge. Thanks and good luck!

Last edited:
This is too much.. you're obviously trying to kill us with excitement.
It's hard not to just convert a breadbin to PAL so I've just been sitting on VIC's awaiting the project's fruition.
Soon we'll all be able to live the dream of the Multi-Regional C64.

Update: We have 3 spots remaining on the beta. Application link in the first post. We provide the PCB free of charge. Thanks and good luck!

Cool! I sent you an email reply about my breadbin revision. I hope one of these 3 spots is mine!

Nicely Done Chris!

Nicely Done Chris!

!

Chris - this is going along nicely mate! Very well done! I'm happy to be a Production tester for you on my Brixty Four Stormputer ;)

Cheers

John

Last edited:
Hi everyone, we are delighted to say that the VIC-II² PAL/NTSC Switcher for breadbin C64s is now available! :arms

Please see the first post for the details. If you pre-registered your interest here, I've already sent you a message.
Thank you for all your support received through this wonderful forum. :yourock:

Now let's bring VIC-II the future!....

P.S. If you have any support queries, feel free to post them below!

3cb1a214742f71b03790cad2f498be87.jpg

Last edited:
Placed my order, any interest in doing a C128 version ? If so put me in for at least one.

Thanks!

We're keeping it in mind... It all depends on demand for this version which we won't have a good clear picture of for a little while yet.

Sent from my Commodore 64

Last edited:
Any chance of a more thorough test video showing various Pal/Ntsc titles? Also think it would be a good idea to design/release a new case badge to identify C64 VIC-II² machines.

Those are some really nice ideas. I do have someone in mind for the badge, however it would add to the price and we wanted to keep that down. What would you put on the badge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom