Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: A new IDE card is born! Read this thread and have fun!

Country
    Italy
    Region:
    Emilia-Romagna
    Feedback
    105 (100%)

Hello,

some infos anyway?

Thanks in advance!
    Stefano

Country
    Italy
    Region:
    Emilia-Romagna
    Feedback
    105 (100%)

Hello,

about the last issue reported here by me, nevermind! It was presumabily an IDE cable issue!

Now i ask to the owners of this card, here on Amibay, for a review about his experience using this card; just to maintain high the attention on this product, that is very well done and has took three and an half years of develop, to cover, for my opinion, a lack of usability, for this type of purpose, on classic Amiga.
    Despite this card is a ZorroII card, after test, i must admit that I/O, if well programmed, thanks to the efficiency of the Master ('Exec', on classic Amiga), is very fast!

When i wrote, on the sale thread of this card, 'not for EU zone' i mean there is some FANATICS that manage not correctly infos and stuffs!

If you are not used with this type of product, please, do not trash it! It is neither a replica of something else already on the market; nor an easy stuff. IT IS A COMPLEX CARD, NOT FOR NEWBIE!
    Because the complexity of AmigaDOS, this card requires a bit of knowledge about this matter...and last but not least...DO NOT DO STUPID THINGS like insert this card reversed or something similar: on a A3000/A4000 (D or T), the label 'this side up', printed on the card, is self explanatory; on a A2000, the same label will stay near the front side of the computer case.

The major bugs are now discovered and corrected, so now you will benefit of an usable product (anyway, bugs was not related to I/O, that was ever safe, and this is the most important part for an user, if you do not wish to have corrupted data or, worst, unusable DOS disks)!

Cheers
    Stefano

Country
    Italy
    Region:
    Emilia-Romagna
    Feedback
    105 (100%)

Now, something funny.

About one and an half year ago, when i was on the ATAPI part of the code of the device driver for this card (named 'ide.device'), something like a 'third type encounter' was in front of me: it was the 'Overlap' function, used by some devices (ATAPI devices).
    If you are not used, this function is, more or less, the ability of the working device on the bus, to release momentarily the bus itself, when his work is just all internal and the bus is not used (temporarily). The bus could be used by other devices, until the device that has 'overlapped', request newly the bus, to complete the job.
    Once read how this function work, i have thought: 'very nice to implement on a multitasking system like Amiga, don't you think?'.
    Anyway, a complex code is requested, because many interrupt-events are to happen and, on Amiga, this means, to be short, that a working IO request is queued into a special list of 'jobs not completely done' and after other job is done, this request has to be revived and completed...quite complex. Anyway i was excited to insert this new piece of code on my device driver for this IDE card.
    The time is running...
    Two days ago, i was on a document about SCSI and, you guess, 'Reselection'! This is exactly the counter part of the ATAPI 'Overlap'!
    On SCSI, this thing is much more complex, because after the release of the bus by the working device, the request to use temporarily the resources can come from everywhere; 'Initiator' is everything on the SCSI bus: one of the many controllers (on server) or one of the devices on the chain...quite complex to implement and, guess you? Commodore has never implemented this function on his controllers because this complexity and, on almost all the home computers or PC all around the world, this function is not completely implemented; i suppose, only servers have this function in working order!
    Now, i am on 'Overlap': i will try to implement it on my device driver...maybe it will be in working order next month...

Cheers
    Stefano

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345