Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A new IDE card is born! Read this thread and have fun!

Jack of Many Trades, Semi-Master of Some thebajaguy's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Region:
    Rhode Island
    Feedback
    34 (100%)

I've only read the last post (and the note to come here from the AutoConfig thread), but the A3640, natively, has slower motherboard access times, to the tune of about 2 wait states, in original logic form.

The updated GALs (2) from SpeedGeek are recommended to put in place, and the state machine access to the motherboard improves to (IIRC) about as efficient as the 68030. I believe EAB has the original thread with the released GAL code from him. There are people here on Amibay that sell (or have sold) the programmed parts for those which don't have the means.
    A500(2x)/A1000/A1200/A2000(4x)/A3000D(2x)/A4000D(under repair)/A4000T (all loaded....Toys...Toys...Toys...)
    Former GVP Tech Support 1989-93 - The beatings will continue until morale improves...

Country
    Italy
    Region:
    Emilia-Romagna
    Feedback
    105 (100%)

I have upgraded the A3640 with the MOD that cut wait states during operation of the A3640 on the data bus.
    Here the new values of the same disk pictured above (still the 030 is faster and reach without any problems, values other the 1.5 MB/s)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SysInfo_disk_040_nowait.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	149091

The improvement is just to consider!

Other disks reach the value of 1.4 MB/s; maybe the ram of my A3000D is slow (it can't any burst mode), or some instruction on the code of the device driver, slow down the 040/060 during operations on the bus, but not the 030!

Cheers

Finger lickin' good Amibayer! matt020's Avatar
    Country
    Western Australia
    Region:
    Western Australia
    Feedback
    7 (100%)

"Disk not validated" might be a problem...
    Amiga 500 - 030/25 - 1mb chip - 2mb fast - 2GB HDD
    Amiga 2000 - 030/40 - 1mb chip - 5mb fast - 2GB HDD
    Amiga 1200 - 030/40 - 2mb chip - 32mb fast - 4GB HDD
    Amiga CD32 - 2mb chip - 8mb fast - TF328 - 8GB HDD

Country
    Italy
    Region:
    Emilia-Romagna
    Feedback
    105 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by matt020 View Post
    "Disk not validated" might be a problem...
    Hello,

ok but this was not the issue; i have tried many times even with the disk validated, with same values... and true improvement with the card with the MOD done.
    The disk was not validated because i have a messy situation; so not caused directly or indirectly by this test/configuration!

Thanks, i appreciate a lot your replies!

Country
    Italy
    Region:
    Emilia-Romagna
    Feedback
    105 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vibros View Post

...Thanks, i appreciate a lot your replies!
    Ehm! I have confused user name, i suppose! I was thinking the user from USA and not Australia. Anyway thanks!

About 'disk not validated', this is AmigaDOS matter; i suppose, sysinfo take care of AmigaDOS just to recognize partitions, then it does raw read on disk, sector by sector, without care about what filesystems (AmigaDOS) tells. Anyway look for the pictures of 'SysSpeed' and not 'SysInfo' to see improvement of performances of the card before and after this MOD.

Cheers
    Stefano

Country
    Italy
    Region:
    Emilia-Romagna
    Feedback
    105 (100%)

Hello,

thanks to some users, i have found and solved two 'Big Bug' on the device driver of this card.
    This bugs was not related to the I/O, so if the user has installed a DOS partition, no errors are caused by this bugs (and, no errors are to happen at all, during I/O!!).
    Bugs was related to the initialization process that happens during boot-time.
    One bug was a not so well interpretation of Time-out (because this card uses timers, allocated during autoconfig-time), that is much important expecially during diagnostic. At diagnostic, if all is ok, a configuration with a single unit (master) or with two units (master/slave), if all is ok, report the same code! Later, into my code, event like time-out, made clearly the real configuration!
    The second bug was a confused loop in assembler code, that miss the allocation of the second timer for the slave device. If the allocation of a timer fails, the code uses a raw routine to calculate time. Seems that this routine is inside limits for some devices and not good for the others.
    In other words, because this bugs, some configurations with two devices fails.
    This two bugs was solved with a couple of lines of code.
    I please the owners of this card, to contact me, to have the new version of this device driver ('ide.device').

Cheers
    Stefano
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WDC_DVD_FindDevice.jpg  
    Last edited by vibros; 12th September 2019 at 14:00.

Country
    Italy
    Region:
    Emilia-Romagna
    Feedback
    105 (100%)

Hello,

in the meantime, waiting to sell this card, i wish to notice you that i have found a new small bug on the device driver of this card, even not related to I/O, that is safe.
    This bug is a misusage of some functions of the expansion library. The old code uses functions mint for debugging purpose and the new 3.1.4 can be indigest about this thing. Now the code use properly functions to discover hardware to configure.
    At this point i need to say that to buy original ROM is more then worthly, because only AutoConfig is a great piece of code...

Cheers
    Stefano

Country
    Italy
    Region:
    Emilia-Romagna
    Feedback
    105 (100%)

Hello,

i am now on a problem with my card and an A2000 with TerribleFire and a GVP scsi controller; sadly no scope to measure because the computer is not mine. Anyway i suppose a timing problem, if it can be, that a timing, well suited for the FatBuster on A3000/A4000 machines, fails on a computer with true 68000 cpu and related bus, like A2000 does (and i suppose, TF is doing a job like 68000, in some points).
    Now, the question is that, my card pass configuration and the devices attached on it (IDE) become almost active under Workbench, if not, there is a problem on the data bus. Just to be short, a nibble of a word is almost ever masked as $F (i suppose like in high impedance): the result is that, the software to install partitions on disk, i.e. if the disk is an harddisk or cf, during the read of the first sector, looking for rdb, reach the byte sequences 'RxSK' or 'RxSx' and so one; some times it happens like 'xDSK' and so one. If corrupted is the first nibble of the most important byte of a word, it happens ever in this way; if the corrupted nibble is the first of the less important byte, it goes on so .
    Just because, things happen so fast in a computer that the result can be the same for different things, maybe someone can point me to the right direction, about this issue.

I repeat, on my A3000 (withou or with A3640, without or with MOD that cut wait-states), i can use one or many of my card at the same time and, just because i do not have any other Zorro card to test with, i can use even a prototype, that is sllight dfifferent in some points, without any problem; so in other words, what i have wrote on the other posts is true!

Any advice is welcome!
    Last edited by vibros; 19th October 2019 at 10:00.

Country
    Italy
    Region:
    Emilia-Romagna
    Feedback
    105 (100%)

No replies? Anyway i am tried to use only chip ram, and see what happen (if it is a question related fast ram on the cpu card).

I will update this post with new infos as quick as possible.

Cheers
    Stefano
    Last edited by vibros; 19th October 2019 at 09:59.

Country
    Italy
    Region:
    Emilia-Romagna
    Feedback
    105 (100%)

Hello,

i have arranged a special version of the device driver of my card, plus a special version of the tools to set up the devices attached on it: this special version uses only chip ram, and seems that all is now ok (no chunck of memory corruppted or masked).
    Now, i am very happy to talk with someone that knows in the deep the TF turbo card, or the designers itself, just to understand the nature of this problem.
    A step forward is just to know if someone has an A2000 with TF and a Zorro card not DMA; all in a working state (a card like a gfx card or an I/O card is ok).

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by vibros; 31st October 2019 at 14:19.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast