Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A new IDE card is born! Read this thread and have fun!

Country
    Italy
    Region:
    Emilia-Romagna
    Feedback
    105 (100%)

Hello,

many thanks to all!

Any interest on my sales threads (like ZIP2SIMM product) can help to complete this project!

Cheers
    Stefano

Country
    Italy
    Region:
    Emilia-Romagna
    Feedback
    105 (100%)

...A world premiere here on Amibay! Enjoy...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_8792.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	172.5 KB 
ID:	142784

Country
    Germany
    Region:
    Bavaria
    Feedback
    175 (100%)

Excellent!
    Am i seeing duck!?!?!
    I have one request: please mark Front & Back of the Amiga on the silkscreen in future revisions, it appears, some users inserting cards wrong way around wich causes terrible fire! One user has burnt brand new Accelerator card by plugging it wrong side in...
    Otherwise i am very excited to test this card in work!
    8 Bit Dreams - computer & hardware repair in Germany

Country
    Italy
    Region:
    Emilia-Romagna
    Feedback
    105 (100%)

Name:	DCP_8820.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	143089 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_8831.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	143090 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_8835.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	137.6 KB 
ID:	143091

Country
    Norge
    Region:
    Vestlandet
    Feedback

Nice work. I'm sorry to say that I no longer have an A4000 so I cannot volunteer as a tester, but this is starting to look like a proper product. I like the duck BTW.

Country
    Italy
    Region:
    Emilia-Romagna
    Feedback
    105 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    Nice work. I'm sorry to say that I no longer have an A4000 so I cannot volunteer as a tester, but this is starting to look like a proper product. I like the duck BTW.
    Hello,

the motive of the second prototype was a Crocodile, because i have in mind this animal from a while; then i have exchanged for a duck that is common in my area.

Now i have developed and enhanced the device driver and more cards can be used in an Amiga...Look
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screen23.jpg   screen23_b.jpg   screen24.jpg   screen25.jpg   screen25_b.jpg  

screen26.jpg  
    Last edited by vibros; 21st January 2019 at 18:40.

Country
    Italy
    Region:
    Emilia-Romagna
    Feedback
    105 (100%)

Hello,

first of all, i am very sorry about my poor English!
    I will try to explain what i have done. So, about this card: the system can now accept four of this IDE boards and, in some situations, the device driver replies how if all the cards are acting as a single SCSI chain. Look at the pictures, what the tool 'FindDevice', from the package IDEFix (i have the original disc of CacheCDFS, the version before IDEFix97'), show from the two cards tested right now! And look for the picture with the program HDInstTools (the only tool that i have found, for OS 3.1, that show correctly the size of the partitions on disk larger then 4GB.)! The good thing of a card without ROM like this (so, not capable of autobooting) is just that: the device driver, at binding time, configures the cards and, just because the card is like something virgin without driver, ide.device transforms the board in a part of a more complex system (like a SCSI chain, in this case).
    Now look for the pictures with three CF installed, in a configuration already seen on the posts above; and then, more interesting, look at the partitioning of a large disk.
    This HardDisk has a size of about 150GB, beyond the standard ATA addressing mode named LBA28. To do so, the device driver activates the new LBA48 mode and uses the new commands to read/write from/into the disk. This device driver can addressing sectors untill 2TB, but larger discs will be recognized and used without a problem, with respect of the limit of 2TB.
    Now look at something very interesting for an Amiga user: how to partition this disk. I have done a test and used three different type of FileSystems, all stored inside the disc, into the RDB. The first partition, inside the first 2GB, is formatted with the old FastFileSystem, that has this limitations: partitions not bigger then 2GB and disc not bigger then 4GB, because this FileSystem can address sectors only inside 32bit of an address value (the new version of this FileSystem has not this limitation and uses, if supported by the device driver, TD64, NSD but i am not sure about this last, and scsi-direct). The second partition is formatted with PFS2, that i have bought in year 1998: it work ok and, to address sectors beyond the four gigabytes, it uses the TD64 commands, supported by this device driver (even NSD is supported by this device driver). Then follows a bigger partition, about 8GB, even formatted with PFS2 and it run ok! Then follows an even bigger PFS2 partition, but it fails! Seems to be to big to be supported by PFS2 (It is not a failure of this device driver).
    Now the most big one! A 100GB partition (nice isn't?) formatted with PDS3, the scsi-direct version of PFS3 (aio, found on Aminet): it work ok! Wow! ...but even PDS3 has a limit on the size of a partition!
    And now the last one, at the end of the disc, beyond the LBA28 addressing capabilities; it is a PDS3 partition and work ok!
    That is all!
    I have turned an IDE card into a SCSI-like one; i have partitioned and succesfully used a 150GB SATA disk; burned a CD into a modern DVD and installed a partition from a IOmega ZIP disc; and do not forget the CompactFlash cards that, all the three models in my hands, was correctly installed...is that enough for a modern IDE card? Ah! Remember the automatic selection of the PIO timing (between 0 and 1)!

So now, buy four of this cards; made the right setup of eight devices and show your Amiga with this 'Fake SCSI Chain Made With IDE Devices', to your colleagues and they will scream loud

- OH NO! ONLY AMIGA MAKES IT POSSIBLE...EVEN TODAY, IN YEAR 2019!!!! -

Cheers
    Stefano
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screen27.jpg   screen28.jpg   screen29.jpg   screen30.jpg   screen31.jpg  

screen32.jpg   screen33.jpg   screen34.jpg   screen37.jpg   screen38.jpg  

Last edited by vibros; 24th January 2019 at 11:05.

Country
    Italy
    Region:
    Emilia-Romagna
    Feedback
    105 (100%)

Hello,

here the picture of the two cards used for the test...

Name:	DCP_8839.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	151.7 KB 
ID:	143208 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen22.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	143209

There is another benefit to have up to four cards configured by only one device driver. If two devices, on two different cards (by the way i have named this IDE@ZII), are working very close, with just one software driver for all of this cards, there is not task switching, so there is not intervention of exec: the arbitration of the two working devices is made inside the device driver (ide.device). Another benefit is that: just because this card uses interrupt (INT2 on Amiga), there is only one Interrupt Server, even if the cards are four! This improve the performance of the machine! The Interrupt Server is coded in Assembler, it has very few lines of code and, thanks to the very clever organization of the structures IO_DEVICE and IO_UNIT (filled out with most vital information), the server itself needs just a couple of lines of code to discover from where the Interrupt come!

Now, it is important to show here your interest in this project!

Cheers
    Stefano

Country
    Italy
    Region:
    Emilia-Romagna
    Feedback
    105 (100%)

Hello,

here the pictures of some test with different drives against the same machine: an A4000D with 68030/25MHz and his IDE port, with attached an ST HardDisk (maybe capable of PIO1). My machine is a plain Amiga 3000D with 68030/25MHz and some FastRam (no Static Column), and this card with attached...

Name:	sspeedCF.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	143477
    ...a Compact Flash...

Name:	sspeedMaxtorPFS0.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	143478
    ...a Maxtor HardDisk of about 2GBytes and his partition formatted with PFS...

Name:	sspeedMaxtorPDS3.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	143479
    ...and the same disk tested with a partition formatted with PDS3...

Name:	sspeedWDCPDS3.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	143480
    ...a SATA disk (WDC) with his partition formatted with PDS3...

Name:	sspeedST3145.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	143481
    ...a very old ST drive (older then the one in the compared machine), capable only of PIO0....

Name:	sspeedZIP100.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	143482
    ...and another PIO0 device: a IOmegaZIP100...

Cheers
    Stefano

Country
    Italy
    Region:
    Emilia-Romagna
    Feedback
    105 (100%)

So, i have now tested this card on a A3640 CPU board, and it work flawelessy, the software too; anyway it is slower compared to the 68030 on board! Is it normal? This cpu card has not fast ram and, in the original state, it is a bit slower because the wait state present on his architecture. Can this be the answer to the bad performance compared to the cpu on the motherboard of my Amiga 3000? Is it for all the ZorroII cards on a system with A3640?
    I have checked the code an watched with a scope to discover where the issue, but i haven't found any clue, even something related to the cache! The loops in assembler are all ok for 040/060 cpu!
    Now i have to say something about what came to my eyes, measured with the scope: compared to the 68030, the card is called even later (imagine a loop done by the FileSystem to read a block of a disc atteched to this card); in other words, the space between two calls to the card (/Slave active), is even longer on the A3640 and, after that, on a loop made with this instruction

move.w (Ax),(Ay)+

there Ax is charged with an ZorroII address and Ay is charged with an address on the fast ram of the local slot, on the A3640 happens that: after eight calls, the next is longer, and this delays the time to complete the action.
    Watch the picture

Name:	SysInfo_disk_040.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	149042

on a 68030 the value reported for the same disc, is about 1.5 MB/Sec.

Someone can confirm that all of this is the consequence of the wait state present on the A3640 cpu board?

Thanks in advance!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast