040 socket to 060 adapter - 105Mhz!?!

darksun9210

Country
United Kingdom
Region
London, pronounced "Laaandaaan"
Hi all,
I stumbled over this thing today and was wondering if there is such an adapter compatible with a cyberstorm Mk3?

http://warpclassic68k.blogspot.com/

basically from what I understand, its some form of socket and voltage adapter, to allow an 060 to sit in an 040 socket.
however. because the 040 takes a double pumped bus clock is my understanding, you need to have an 80Mhz crystal clock for a 40Mhz CPU clock.
this adapter regulates the voltage to 3.3v for an 060, but passes through the 105Mhz crystal clock to the CPU, but, as the board is running in "040" mode, only passes a 52Mhz clock back to the board.
staying within the overclock limits of the Cyberstorm Mark2 - as demonstrated, but allowing super speed on the 060.

where the, who the, what the... wow! I need that in my life! :D:D

awesome work to all involved, now, please good sirs and madams, how do I get me some of that? :)

Look at the Amiga sales threads here. You will find options for sale.

Summary: Although they are a nightmare to solder all the little pins (says the sellers), at least two, maybe more, 040-060 adapter PCB projects already exist. The physical impact of the device (height, and the placement of the voltage regulator) in the host's space is the biggest issue. There is a small PCB overhang for that, and the routing of the 3.3V bus. Chucky here actually incorporated this in his 'A3660' enhancement of the A3640 clone he did.

I've inserted these adapters into an A3640 and a PP&S A2000-68040/28 board before. On the A3000, the height of the adapter impacts the drive area. On an A4000 it also can be a problem, but is a little better. On the A2000, the drive area also has problems if the accelerator CPU faces the drive chassis (most do) with intrusion of the heat sink is too tall. On an accelerator products for the A1200, space is of course limited, and airflow may be a concern.

For the most part, no messing with the clock is needed.

The slim adapters (like those cosmos sells on eBay) just fit in an A3000 without need to modify the drive bay above but do not give room for a heatsink or fan. As such in an A3000 overclocking will be difficult.

Back
Top Bottom