Staff Moderator
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Nottingham
    Feedback
    487 (100%)

Default PSIO switchboard install and cart setup

Hi, been a while since I've posted anything in the photo booth area.

So a friend of mine ordered two of these PSIO cartridges in June 2017 with the estimated delivery being November 2017, fast forward to last week and they finally arrive (something about waiting for orders to order parts in batches etc).

So I picked them up from my friend this morning for the switchboard installation and set up for him. The other one is mine in exchange for installing his and modding a couple of other consoles with switchless 50/60hz mods etc.

For those that don't know about these things you have to cut some traces on the board and wire in a small switchboard. This routes some of the cd controllers signals to the parallel port on the back. Without the switchboard the PSIO won't work and if you plug it in it will contest the bus and can damage the PS1 and cart (or so the website says, I haven't tried it). The cd drive can still be used, you can either remove the cart and put a disc in and it will load as normal or you can boot the PSIO cart with a disc in and press O on the menu to reset and load the cd.

So traces cut and switchboard installed (modchip was already installed) it was time to plug in and test the cart.

After initial setup I popped a copy of crash bandicoot on the SD card (iso/bin+cue/img files supported) and proceeded to load the game. It loaded fine, load times seem much quicker, fmv's play without skipping. All in all a nice little flash cart device for the older PS1 consoles.

Time now to install my switchboard in my 1002 audiophile console

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Mega AmiMod
    Staff Moderator
    Country
    Greece
    Region:
    Ioannina
    Feedback
    138 (100%)

Excellent!
    I got one last year before that fancy packaging was used, really like it
    Aacheron and slk486 are my heroes
    A1200D mfilos ed. : ACA 1231/42 , Indivision MK2 , IDEfix Express , Subway , PicoPSU 120w custom 3.9 ROM/OS

Country
    England
    Region:
    Yorkshire
    Feedback
    35 (100%)

Yeah, I’ve had one for about a year in my 1002 console. I think it’s brilliant and it’s been good to see the firmware improve stuff over time.
    A1200 B1260 80Mhz + Indi AGA2 + Ide-fix Express | A3000 A3660 50Mhz + CV64 + Deneb + 486SLC2 | A500 | 3DO
    A4000 CSMk2 66Mhz + G3 PPC 950Mhz + Voodoo3 + Indi AGA + Deneb | Saturn | PS1&2 | C64 | SNES | Neo Geo
    A3020 | A3000 | BBC B | BBC Master | Atom | CPC6128 | Jaguar | G5 2.7Ghz MOS | Atari Falcon 060 | 2600

Amibayer!
    Staff Moderator
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Gloucestershite
    Feedback
    32 (100%)

I think I had one from the second batch in early ish 2016. It was when their payment provider decided it was a scam and refunded everyone so we all had to pay again. Think it took about 4-5 months to arrive after that. I'd forgotten about it and wondered what the hell it was when it finally arrived...

Still haven't got round to installing it... Just waiting now for the Jaguar SD cart, the Darksoft AES cart and the Satiator.

Really need someone to do a drive replacement for the Mega CD now.
    Commodore Amiga 500 plus + HxC Floppy Emulator, Commodore 128 + 1541 Ultimate II, Sega Dreamcast + USB-GDROM, Sega Saturn + Phoebe, Sega MegaDrive & MegaCD & 32X + Everdrive, Sega Master System + Everdrive, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo N64 & Bung Doctor V64 + Everdrive, Nintendo Super Famicom + Everdrive, Nintendo Entertainment System + Everdrive, NEC PC Engine & CD duo + Everdrive, Panasonic 3DO + USB Host Controller, SNK Neo-Geo CD Front Loader + Unibios 3.2, Atari Jaguar & CD, Sony Playstation + PSIO, Sony Playstation 2 + 160GB HD, Microsoft Xbox + 300GB HD, XBox 360 + RGH.

I don't have a lot of space...