Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to pick a winning ticket in a raffle?

One Does Not Simply Collect Amiga Hardware Amibayer! tbtorro's Avatar
    Country
    Denmark
    Region:
    Copenhagen
    Feedback
    879 (100%)

I think it would generate much more interest if the winning number would be generated more transparent. I would love to buy tickets, but sadly I don't trust a closed system (no offence to Amibay, I wouldn't trust it anywhere else).

Some (on other forums/social media) used publicly available data for drawing winners, for example, he would sell 60 tickets, (number could be self chosen or randomly assigned) then would list all the tickets (with betters) in a post. And the winning ticket would be the first pulled number of the UK Powerball on the coming Friday. This is an open and transparent system.

Just saying.

Also, I highly recommend to double check the paypal's terms, as several hundred payments coming in (all same small amount) will trip PayPal's flagging system, almost 100% guaranteed. When that happens, they'll freeze the account to 'investigate' (they can do this for WHATEVER reason for 180 days according to their terms) and you might enter 'account verification hell' which could drag out for months. Happened to many accounts before, happened to me (for another reason), wasn't fun, took me almost 3 (three) months to resolve it with no access to my funds.
    cє<

I look like Gizmo Amibay Treasurer
    Mega AmiMod
    Administrator
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Boston, Lincs
    Feedback
    173 (100%)

Lightbulb How to pick a winning ticket in a raffle?

Hopefully you've all seen this thread where you have a chance to win a 4000D

This is the idea that timtheloon came up with
    Entries will be entered into a random name picker after the competition closing date.
    (
    http://www.classtools.net/education-games-php/fruit_machine using the Typewriter option to pick the winning entry)

I looked at this and it did seem to do the job.

We're willing to listen to an alternative method of picking a winner - we do want this to be seen as a fair competition and that everybody that buys a ticket has an equal chance to win.

Don't forget that we are looking at a minimum of 667 tickets.

We need it to be as easy as possible to collect the names etc as this will have to be managed by me in my spare time.

Do you have another idea we can investigate?

Warp One, Mr. Sulu VIP
    Amibayer!
    Country
    Hellas
    Region:
    Chania, Crete
    Feedback
    206 (100%)

You can draw the winner la Champions League style, using the traditional pot-style with a live stream so that anyone can watch. Sounds bizarre but it's an alternative.
    You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building. Around
    you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and down a gully.

> GO EAST

Country
    Deutschland
    Region:
    Niedersachsen
    Feedback
    62 (100%)

Sounds Nice Kirk , but there is a big difference.
    Thats some 1000 Numbers and not only 64 like in that traditional things.

BTW great Idea Tim and very cool to generate Donations that way!

What about this Idea to pick the Winner.

If there are for example 2600 Numbers (every Number have Names in the Row of Donations)

Someone , perhaps a friend of Tim who is not on Amibay call a Random Phone-Number via Livestream and ask for a Number between 1 and 2600.....
    the one who got the Number is the Winner.
    Thats cool and fair for everyone.

Mega AmiMod
    Administrator
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Boston, Lincs
    Feedback
    173 (100%)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cloakroom Tickets.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	140377
    What about something like this?

A couple of books in different colours - you pick the colour and the number.

We then get four or more people together to witness the draw from a bucket with all the entries in.

Country
    Denmark
    Region:
    Copenhagen
    Feedback
    879 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by davideo View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cloakroom Tickets.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	140377
    What about something like this?

A couple of books in different colours - you pick the colour and the number.

We then get four or more people together to witness the draw from a bucket with all the entries in.
    There must be an electronic solution that is much easier to manage..
    cє<

Country
    U.K
    Region:
    Sheffield, South Yorkshire
    Feedback
    75 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tbtorro View Post
    Some (on other forums/social media) used publicly available data for drawing winners, for example, he would sell 60 tickets, (number could be self chosen or randomly assigned) then would list all the tickets (with betters) in a post. And the winning ticket would be the first pulled number of the UK Powerball on the coming Friday. This is an open and transparent system.
    Something like this. A publicly viewable number. It would make it fair for everyone since nobody connected with the comp or Amibay could have any influence over the result (I'm not suggesting this would happen) - but it would make everything fair and transparent.

Country
    Denmark
    Region:
    Copenhagen
    Feedback
    879 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by WonkeyDonkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tbtorro View Post
    Something like this. A publicly viewable number. It would make it fair for everyone since nobody connected with the comp or Amibay could have any influence over the result (I'm not suggesting this would happen) - but it would make everything fair and transparent.

Yes, this is obvious, just need to find a randomly, changing, on-line verifiable number between 0-1000 (say) and also one that has logs.

I'm looking into live telemetry data from NASA (from satellites, or the international space station). For example many sensor values have fraction precision in 1/1000. So a winning number could be the fractions of the value of one of these sensors at midnight the lottery ends (when the number is "drawn").

We could call it the "Amibay-NASA lottery" The key of course that it should be EASILY verifiable by anyone from the NASA logs of that day/time.
    Last edited by tbtorro; 13th October 2018 at 20:11.
    cє<

Mega AmiMod
    Administrator
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Boston, Lincs
    Feedback
    173 (100%)

@tbtorro

That sounds plausible.

So to be clear my plan was not only to collect the names but also issue with a number incremented on the sequence of payment.

So i.e. I would be Davideo 1
    etc, etc

This would then give us a number and a name to go with it.

I'll be putting the first list together tomorrow of all participants to date.

Mega AmiMod
    Administrator
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Boston, Lincs
    Feedback
    173 (100%)

I've just cleaned up this thread - all posts can still be seen by Mods and Admins.

Any more ideas on how we can pick the winning number?

What happens if the number picked has not been used?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast