My 3000T restoration and hot-rodding

I always try the entire surface keep wet. The wrap should touch wet surface. Thin wrap should be used because is adhering to wet surface and helps same level of brightening all surfaces.
See example pictures for how I do brightening with thin food wrap. And some already brightened parts.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gbng98mkERe1eoJp6

Last edited:
Thanks @ori1a - I will let it sit for 12 more hours, see results, and then wrap directly again. I had a hard time getting the wrap to not wrinkle.

I was wondering if I could get help with my Phase 5 PPC/68060 accelerator. I purchased the machine with AmigaOS 3.1 installed, and then installed the driver and card. SysInfo showed the performance as "call me now" and the red bench line almost all the way across. I recently purchased a CF card - "Workbench 3.1 CF Hard Disk Drive by Cloanto." I did the same install there, but when I run SysInfo, my machine is slower than a 68040 by a bit.

I have tried removing and installing the drivers again with no luck. When I boot from the old drive, SysInfo shows the original "call me now" type performance.

Any ideas?

Edit: it turns out that was a data cache on vs off thing, and I guess it should be off due to cache coherency issues with ppc.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if the A3000T came with a complete set of Zorro slot rails but now mine will have one. Received 5 today.

SKenzKt.png

I've been considering the case. Most of the paint is just fine. The metal chassis inside of the case has spots that look like rust but seem to clean up with isopropyl alcohol pretty well.

But then there's the bottom of the case:
yURlZpe.png

I’m thinking about first using vinegar to take the light stuff off, then wheel cleaner to get the heavy stuff off, and then electrolysis with some donor steel to restore and remove the rest of the rust.
Edit: vinegar is working great!

@ori1a I did not get as good of results by having the object in a shallow sealed container. As recommended, day 1 I did the paste & plastic right around the object, and I will be doing that for day 3. Here is the progress so far.
Day 0 (no retrobright), Day 1 (plastic wrapped), Day 2 (container), Expected (inside of mouse color):
iDWyLeI.png

As you can see, between days 1 and 2, not so dramatic. I've tried to wrap it just perfect so there won't be streaks, will see what happens.

Last edited:
I took care of most of the rust on the bottom of the case using white vinegar (and then neutralizing it). It took off a surprising amount of rust. Will need to coat it with some protect stuff once I get the rest off, maybe as well as the case paint.

r6uTzi2.png

Left is beforehand, right is after obv.

CLR is a better choice than vinegar, much quicker to get rid of that rust.

I was wondering if I could get help with my Phase 5 PPC/68060 accelerator. I purchased the machine with AmigaOS 3.1 installed, and then installed the driver and card. SysInfo showed the performance as "call me now" and the red bench line almost all the way across. I recently purchased a CF card - "Workbench 3.1 CF Hard Disk Drive by Cloanto." I did the same install there, but when I run SysInfo, my machine is slower than a 68040 by a bit.

I have tried removing and installing the drivers again with no luck. When I boot from the old drive, SysInfo shows the original "call me now" type performance.

Any ideas?

Edit: it turns out that was a data cache on vs off thing, and I guess it should be off due to cache coherency issues with ppc.

Hello,

about your wonderful cpu card, it come with a cd called 'PowerUp', from the producer Phase5. Inside it you will find all the original software to use this card on a 3.x system. There is a concurrent system software for the PPC cpu on Amiga, called WarpOS (but it is not a fully OS) that you can install later: it is frreware and you will found it on Aminet. It come with a library that can emulate the environment needed to run the Phase5's set of library present on the mentioned CD, so, in other words, you can use the two different set of libraries at the same time (just like on the PPC Macintosh that emulate 68k cpu to run transparently 68k programs): PowerUp system and WarpOS. To be honest, i feel myself quite strange when i explain to an American user how a an American CPU work, but...let me play a little...you come from Seattle...i guess you are a Microsoft employee... ;-)

Seriously, about this wonderful machine and your setup (even if the tower is not so beauty, it is a pc like tower), honestly, i do not understand all this 'CompactFlash mania' especially with a computer like yours that can host true harddisk and the noise come from the fan anyway...Ah, i have forgotten to say, use a thin blade to clean tracks from acid attack!

Cheers
Stefano

Last edited:
First, I would like to apologize for being an American right now. Secondly I'm a Democrat so today is a good day, we won the House, and Jeff Sessions just got fired! I figured I should introduce myself a little bit: I'm a systems engineer working on the graphics kernel on an OS :double that runs lots of stuff (not just PCs) - I build/have built a bunch of our kernel technology. I've been doing that for 15 years or so, so a little over a billion non-Amigas run my code whenever pixels hit the screen. I've been an FPGA and electronics hobbyist for the last 13 years or so and hope to contribute something for the Zorro bus someday (I have one coming to me that hooks to an FPGA). I can read/write x86/x64/arm assembly, but not PowerPC. The only 68k assembly I've written was for a machine I made in MAME/MESS as an experiment. I'm self-taught (no college) and built my career (20 years now) with books and tearing stuff apart, so I'm a bit of a hacker at heart, and I feel like Amiga has the hacker spirit built into it. :)

----

Anyway, thank you for the information - I had been wondering what MorphOS was and will read more about it. I do not have the PowerUp CD - I'm not sure if it could be called abandonware but I checked archive.org for an ISO with no luck. Once I get a little more along the way and get ahold of the software, I'll try to get the most out of this board. If I can find a hard drive that will give me the clicks without the whining, I'm interested - maybe a modern one. I try to run all SSDs, never had one fail.

Today I replaced the fan on the CyberStorm board with a 40mm Noctua - it fits right in place, keeps things cool, and quiet. ;D I mis-ordered the wrong standoffs for securing the accelerator card to the motherboard - they are 2mm too tall. And my replacement fans for the power supply and front fan were too large - 92mm, not 80mm. Measure 3 times I guess. I had measured for the accelerator from the top of the board :oops:

Amazon sent me the stand-offs in a big box. :LOL:

KR2QdN0[1].jpg

Thanks for the advice and always tell me how you really feel. :)
-Ian

Finished with my retrobright sample. It was hard to tell whether it was improving or not, but I'm calling it done. It's hard to tell without a light box, IMO.

retrobrite.jpg

Looks good man!

Also, I saw you're hunting for the feet.. I tried and gave up long ago, but I think your idea of having one fabricated or 3d printed is the way to go. I'm in if you go that route. :)

...I'm a systems engineer working on ...

You have showed a great background of knowledge!
About your stuffs with Amiga computer, the content of the CF that you have purchased, is more like for hobbyst of the last hour. A new fresh installation of the system 3.1 and, subsequently, of the software for the PowerUp card, give you a better idea of the machine in your hands (that is, at least, my suggestion). About MorphOS, it is a great OS for PowerPC machine, that has built in an AmigaOS emulation (it is almost complete), but the chance to have it on your machine is very low: despite there is a version for classic Amiga with PowerUP card, the key is not more delivered; you can take a walk through the Internet site of MorphOS to see if something has changed.
In the past i have done many stupid things and one was to dismount my A1200 with BlizzardPPC: this blizzard had had the key to run MorphOS (the key is unique and not portable to a machine from another with a different PowerUP card)!

Cheers
Stefano

You have showed a great background of knowledge!
About your stuffs with Amiga computer, the content of the CF that you have purchased, is more like for hobbyst of the last hour. A new fresh installation of the system 3.1 and, subsequently, of the software for the PowerUp card, give you a better idea of the machine in your hands (that is, at least, my suggestion). About MorphOS, it is a great OS for PowerPC machine, that has built in an AmigaOS emulation (it is almost complete), but the chance to have it on your machine is very low: despite there is a version for classic Amiga with PowerUP card, the key is not more delivered; you can take a walk through the Internet site of MorphOS to see if something has changed.
In the past i have done many stupid things and one was to dismount my A1200 with BlizzardPPC: this blizzard had had the key to run MorphOS (the key is unique and not portable to a machine from another with a different PowerUP card)!

Cheers
Stefano

Thanks! :) So it turns out my platter drive that came with the A3000T is failing... :( I just mirrored the partitions onto extra space on the CF, and I'm booting from them right now with the PPC card uninstalled. I'm troubleshooting/repairing a dead A2386SX while I try to upgrade the other one, and had figured it was best to do that with the 68030 and not worry about exceptions/privileged instructions etc that might come up.

I wish I could find an ISO of the stuff that came on the CD that came with the CyberStorm card. Do I need anything from it for WarpOS or MorphOS? Or is it just fun to experience? Can MorphOS still co-use the 68060 processor on my card, or does it always JIT?

I have a Vampire V2+ board coming tomorrow-ish that I'm going to try to install in an A1000 - I might try a new install of 3.1 on that in the mean time. :D I will convert the HDMI signal back to RGB for the 1084s monitor it should still have, though.

By the way I see you offer a replacement for the A3000 ZIP slots - does it fit into the slots, or replace them on the motherboard? (I suppose either?)

Thanks Stefano!
-Ian

Last edited:
Hello,

Furan- my adapter is only for the A3000D (desktop), it does not fit into the zip socket of the A3000T motherboard because it has slight difference in some measures.

I try to find out a copy of the PowerUP CD, stay tuned...

Cheers
Stefano

Hello,

you are looking for this

DCP_8694.JPG

...but you need to install this

DCP_8693.JPG

If you are interested, please PM to me to have more info!

About MorphOS, it is a complete OS for PowerPC cpu that has built in an Amiga OS emulation (i guess it is JIT); WarpOS, like PowerUP system, is a set of libraries to use PPC on a PowerUP board, on Amiga. A competitor of MorphOS is AmigaOS 4!

Cheers
Stefano

Bit of a pause as I've been reviving a 386 bridgeboard (and working to soup up another one).

I think I found the IBM "twin" of the Amiga 3000T - the IBM PS/2 Model 80! I'm going to hunt down the feet for this and modify them for use on the 3000T.

QHSyw09.png

One caution: the real color of a 3000T is more cream colored like the 3000. Maybe it's the lighting, but that 3000T in your post is way too white. The 4000 was white like that, not the 3000(T).

3000t.jpg

My A3000T-040 looks like the one on the right and you'll notice that the drive button is darker. Mine is the same and the FDD blank from both of my A3000D machines are too dark. Perhaps it's that the 040 machines were lighter in color, but I don't think so

Last edited:
It is correct that the A3000T-040 were the same colour as the A4000 models, brighter white and not beige

Back
Top Bottom