Thread: My 3000T restoration and hot-rodding

Country
    Italy
    Region:
    Emilia-Romagna
    Feedback
    102 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by furan- View Post
    ...I'm a systems engineer working on ...
    You have showed a great background of knowledge!
    About your stuffs with Amiga computer, the content of the CF that you have purchased, is more like for hobbyst of the last hour. A new fresh installation of the system 3.1 and, subsequently, of the software for the PowerUp card, give you a better idea of the machine in your hands (that is, at least, my suggestion). About MorphOS, it is a great OS for PowerPC machine, that has built in an AmigaOS emulation (it is almost complete), but the chance to have it on your machine is very low: despite there is a version for classic Amiga with PowerUP card, the key is not more delivered; you can take a walk through the Internet site of MorphOS to see if something has changed.
    In the past i have done many stupid things and one was to dismount my A1200 with BlizzardPPC: this blizzard had had the key to run MorphOS (the key is unique and not portable to a machine from another with a different PowerUP card)!

Cheers
    Stefano

Country
    USA
    Region:
    Seattle, WA
    Feedback
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vibros View Post
    You have showed a great background of knowledge!
    About your stuffs with Amiga computer, the content of the CF that you have purchased, is more like for hobbyst of the last hour. A new fresh installation of the system 3.1 and, subsequently, of the software for the PowerUp card, give you a better idea of the machine in your hands (that is, at least, my suggestion). About MorphOS, it is a great OS for PowerPC machine, that has built in an AmigaOS emulation (it is almost complete), but the chance to have it on your machine is very low: despite there is a version for classic Amiga with PowerUP card, the key is not more delivered; you can take a walk through the Internet site of MorphOS to see if something has changed.
    In the past i have done many stupid things and one was to dismount my A1200 with BlizzardPPC: this blizzard had had the key to run MorphOS (the key is unique and not portable to a machine from another with a different PowerUP card)!

Cheers
    Stefano
    Thanks! So it turns out my platter drive that came with the A3000T is failing... I just mirrored the partitions onto extra space on the CF, and I'm booting from them right now with the PPC card uninstalled. I'm troubleshooting/repairing a dead A2386SX while I try to upgrade the other one, and had figured it was best to do that with the 68030 and not worry about exceptions/privileged instructions etc that might come up.

I wish I could find an ISO of the stuff that came on the CD that came with the CyberStorm card. Do I need anything from it for WarpOS or MorphOS? Or is it just fun to experience? Can MorphOS still co-use the 68060 processor on my card, or does it always JIT?

I have a Vampire V2+ board coming tomorrow-ish that I'm going to try to install in an A1000 - I might try a new install of 3.1 on that in the mean time. I will convert the HDMI signal back to RGB for the 1084s monitor it should still have, though.

By the way I see you offer a replacement for the A3000 ZIP slots - does it fit into the slots, or replace them on the motherboard? (I suppose either?)

Thanks Stefano!
    -Ian
    Last edited by furan-; 10th November 2018 at 04:09.

Incoming ASROC! VIP
    Amibayer!
    Country
    GREECE
    Region:
    Athens
    Feedback
    114 (100%)

In case you don't have the manual, you might find this interesting: https://computerarchive.org/files/co...Manual-ENG.pdf
    Some useful stuff: http://phase5.a1k.org/ Also, Aminet seems to have various software for the PowerUp environment.

Country
    Italy
    Region:
    Emilia-Romagna
    Feedback
    102 (100%)

Hello,

Furan- my adapter is only for the A3000D (desktop), it does not fit into the zip socket of the A3000T motherboard because it has slight difference in some measures.

I try to find out a copy of the PowerUP CD, stay tuned...

Cheers
    Stefano

Country
    Italy
    Region:
    Emilia-Romagna
    Feedback
    102 (100%)

Hello,

you are looking for this

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_8694.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	141227

...but you need to install this

Name:	DCP_8693.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	141228

If you are interested, please PM to me to have more info!

About MorphOS, it is a complete OS for PowerPC cpu that has built in an Amiga OS emulation (i guess it is JIT); WarpOS, like PowerUP system, is a set of libraries to use PPC on a PowerUP board, on Amiga. A competitor of MorphOS is AmigaOS 4!

Cheers
    Stefano

Country
    USA
    Region:
    Seattle, WA
    Feedback
    1 (100%)

Bit of a pause as I've been reviving a 386 bridgeboard (and working to soup up another one).

I think I found the IBM "twin" of the Amiga 3000T - the IBM PS/2 Model 80! I'm going to hunt down the feet for this and modify them for use on the 3000T.

A1000 Keeper of the Faith RuneRider's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Region:
    Alberta
    Feedback
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by comraider View Post
    One caution: the real color of a 3000T is more cream colored like the 3000. Maybe it's the lighting, but that 3000T in your post is way too white. The 4000 was white like that, not the 3000(T).

Name:	3000t.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	141873

My A3000T-040 looks like the one on the right and you'll notice that the drive button is darker. Mine is the same and the FDD blank from both of my A3000D machines are too dark. Perhaps it's that the 040 machines were lighter in color, but I don't think so
    Last edited by RuneRider; 29th November 2018 at 05:30.
    2xA500, A600, 3x A1000, A1200, A2000, 2xA3000D, A3000T-040, A4000D. CDTV, 3x VIC 20, C16, 2x C64, 64C, C128 and 72 others

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234