She's Alive.. She's Alive...

britlord

Country
usa
Region
Michigan
Well guys after 2 years (I'm slow)... I've finely powered up my 2000, and the kickstart screen came up (Phew!!!), after I did a total re-cap of the mobo and the PSU (But man that new PSU fan is so loud), as you can see, I've added a on/off switch to front now (I never did like it at the back of the computer). Now I'm just waiting for the GVP G-Force 030 Combo board to arrive (I have the 2 extra ram simms for it), and I'll be adding a A2320 flicker fixer too (I've already fitted the Mega-Ram board). Then I can close up the computer.. However, should I use a SCSI drive or disable it on the G-Force 030 , and add the Buddha card that I have , and use a CF card instead of the SCSI drive.. Plus a IDE CD-Rom drive too (Not sure).. What would you do???..

After this 2000 project is complete.. I'll be making a Raspberry PI 3B+ 500 computer (Pi will be inside a 500 case, and using a 500 keyboard too), and at the back will be the 2 joystick/mouse ports., 2 Audio connections (They are on a PCB board), and connects to one of the Pi USB ports (The 2 cables come with the unit), 2 USB ports, HDMI, Power switch (Goes to a Pi power block), and the power input port.. Oh, on the Pi will be a RTC clock too...

Attachments

• A2000-1.jpg
    A2000-1.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 1
  • A2000.jpg
    A2000.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
You may be interested but in a month or so I will be doing a IDE/Ram board for the a2k because I'm not happy with SCSI on the a2k... I'll get some prototypes done :)

You may be interested but in a month or so I will be doing a IDE/Ram board for the a2k because I'm not happy with SCSI on the a2k... I'll get some prototypes done :)

Ok Thanks..

Last edited:
The G-Force 030 SCSI will net you decent performance, particularly with a SCSI2SD. The v5.1 (maker's current release) does reasonably well. The v6 is nice, but the added cost vs performance is marginal. You get the best results from flash media due to near-zero latency and a lack of file fragmentation impact. Keep the flash media overall size <=16GB (more than 8GB is usually overkill for most) and use the PC/USB tool to slice the media into <=4GB chunks per SCSI ID.

Technically, the A2000 does not have native SCSI (or any native HD interface).

Also, as a general rule, anything done in the Zorro slots (or under the 68K CPU) has a natural design limitation of 16-bit, 7Mhz, or a theoretical 3.5MB/sec bandwidth under ideal conditions. That translates to ~1.7MB/sec when the CPU has to move data around. Moving from a DMA controller to a CPU-driven I/O interface with these Zorro-bus limitations won't buy you much, if any, I/O performance.

Nevertheless, I am interested in anything new, and hope it's a Zorro-slot card that follows the expansion rules.

Last edited:
The G-Force 030 SCSI will net you decent performance, particularly with a SCSI2SD. The v5.1 (maker's current release) does reasonably well. The v6 is nice, but the added cost vs performance is marginal. You get the best results from flash media due to near-zero latency and a lack of file fragmentation impact. Keep the flash media overall size <=16GB (more than 8GB is usually overkill for most) and use the PC/USB tool to slice the media into <=4GB chunks per SCSI ID.

Also, as a general rule, anything done in the Zorro slots (or under the 68K CPU) has a natural design limitation of 16-bit, 7Mhz, or a theoretical 3.5MB/sec bandwidth under ideal conditions. That translates to ~1.7MB/sec when the CPU has to move data around. Moving from a DMA controller to a CPU-driven I/O interface with these Zorro-bus limitations won't buy you much, if any, I/O performance.

Nevertheless, I am interested in anything new, and hope it's a Zorro-slot card that follows the expansion rules.

Yah I'm toying with the idea of zorro-slot cards, but there's the empty processor slot which I could prototype a memory/ide board quickly and cheaply (dimension wise)

Hi I myself was thinking about the SCSI2SD. But I don't know how to set it up for Amiga use...

I've got a similar set up to this: A2000 with GVP 030, DKB MegaChip and A2320. It's a very nice machine :)

I'm using a SCSI2SD attached to the GVP card. It's really easy to set up and use. It's also fast and silent. It makes transferring files to the machine very easy. I've also got a SCSI CDROM in there.

If you've already got a Buddha it will be cheaper to use that and I would trust a new CF card over an ancient SCSI drive :)

Back
Top Bottom