Amiga 600 Accelerator options...

helcost

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Glos
Hi,

Want an accelerator for my A600. FPGA based stuff is too far IMO, may as well get a MIST box. So, 680X0 based stuff. What's the recommended route these days? Here are some requirements followed by nice-to-haves:

Reqs:
1. Mast make the machine faster duh
2. Some onboard fast RAM, at least let's say 4MB

Nice-To-Haves:
1. Ability to disable it quite easily for compatibility. Not sure if this is even a problem I need to be concerned with?
2. Ability to map kickstart roms into fast ram? Maybe this will let me use different kickstarts, again for compatibility reasons?

The A600 was going to be a games only machine, with my A2000 as the productivity box but I now intend to get rid of that so the A600 has to be a jack of all trades.

Many thanks,
Brad

For best bang for your buck I can't really see past the ACA 620 from Individual Computers. Around 100 Euros when in stock and for that you get a 68020 @ 16.667mhz and a max fast ram of 16Mb (accessible via tuning software). Add an ACA 604n (1Mb Chip expansion) for 35 Euros and you get the total important 2MB Chip Ram. This would give you a nice WHDLoad machine for gaming.

Cheers, already have the 604n courtesy of amigaheaven87. Will check out the ACA...

EDIT: Seems to be discontinued.

Last edited:
ACA620 is a really terrible product according to my experience. It is incompatible with some software and of course not the best fit on the 68000 as it gets extremely hot leading to crashes. This was my experience 3 years ago when i was trying to make the best out of A600 while keeping the cost low. I think that kipper2k's ram expansions are the best value for money if/when you can get your hands on one of them. Otherwise go for a second hand ACA630 that really rocked and still is the best 030 accelerator for the A600. Just my 2 cents.

I assumed the 620 would have been similar to the 630. I had a 630 some years ago and it was awesome. Sorry to hear it's not been the best for you Portarinos.

Looking for something that's actually available new, how about this Furia board? Seems like it can do all that the ACA 620 could and more, is faster and has 9.5MB RAM on there. New stock in 5 days apparently. I'll do a search on here in a bit to see if I can find some reviews.

I have a Furia and an ACA620 and the Furia is much faster (33mhz vs 16mhz 680ec20). It seems somewhat picky which CF-Cards it works with, but i personally had no issues with that. And of course you can buy it new with warranty, while the aca will be quite as expensive as used. Also the Furia doesn't split up the memory in smaller chunks as the aca does.

Last edited:
Thanks. That matches what I've read up on. I've ordered one directly and separately ordered an IDE -> SD adapter as the Furia is less fussy about these and I already have a spare Sandisk that should do the job.

Thanks again.

Quite possibly but they are no longer being produced so not an option for me. My Furia should be here this week.

Furia arrived. Installed in a few minutes. Works perfectly. 13.46 x faster than stock. Highly recommended by me!

Back
Top Bottom