Thread: Rusty Modulator Cover? Here's a solution...

Commercial Vendor
    Amibayer!
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region:
    Cardiff
    Feedback
    6 (100%)

Default Rusty Modulator Cover? Here's a solution...

A1200 / A600 Modulator RF Shield Cover Label at Amiga Kit Amiga Store

Do you have an old rusty or corroded metal modulator RF shield cover? Then cover it with this brushed effect steel label.

Features colour double tick logo.

Peel off the adhesive backing to attach to your A1200 / A600 modulator metal RF shielding surface.

Direct Link Here:

https://amigakit.amiga.store/product...ducts_id=12650

www.amigakit.com Amiga Computer Store

Country
    Australia
    Region:
    Melbourne
    Feedback
    5 (100%)

Is this a paper sticker with the brushed steel look printed on it (ie. the effect is part of the graphic that's printed on the label), or is it an brushed steel label with the rainbow tick printed on it?

Country
    Australia
    Region:
    Melbourne
    Feedback
    5 (100%)

Is there a response from Amigakit coming soon, or should I not bother waiting?

Country
    Germany
    Region:
    Bavaria
    Feedback
    163 (100%)

keep wishing, keep hoping
    8 Bit Dreams - computer & hardware repair in Germany

Country
    USA
    Region:
    California
    Feedback
    3 (100%)

Based on the looks of it, the description on the site and foremost the low price tag, it is just a sticker that looks like metal.
    A1200 PAL, Blizzard 1230/50 IV 128MB, Indivision MK2cr, 16GB CF, Aminet PCMCIA Ethernet
    A500 PAL, ACA500+,
    ACA1233n 40/128MB, Paez3D VGA scandoubler, 16GB CF
    2x C64 NTSC, 2x 1541, C64C PAL, C64C NTSC, 2x 1541-II, Ultimate-II+, SD2IEC

Country
    England
    Region:
    Northumberland
    Feedback
    73 (100%)

Whether its metal or paper the effect looks a lot nicer than the rusty top it covers and at the price it is a good deal and a smart bit of innovation made for those that don't want to see a rusty interior in their A600/A1200's.

Someone has used their heads and made a decent looking alternative to the rusty top that greets many of us when we open our Amiga's and this sort of thing would be great to add to an order/purchase at the same time to save on postage (I would think).

Even I can see that Amigakit does try to do what they can for their customers and I'm a Cranky old git when it comes to companies
    Last edited by Allen1; 26th December 2018 at 13:25.

Country
    Germany
    Region:
    Bavaria
    Feedback
    163 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Allen1 View Post
    Whether its metal or paper the effect looks a lot nicer than the rusty top it covers and at the price it is a good deal and a smart bit of innovation made for those that don't want to see a rusty interior in their A600/A1200's.

Someone has used their heads and made a decent looking alternative to the rusty top that greets many of us when we open our Amiga's and this sort of thing would be great to add to an order/purchase at the same time to save on postage (I would think).

Even I can see that Amigakit does try to do what they can for their customers and I'm a Cranky old git when it comes to companies
    ..it's NOT the right way to hide it instread of cleaning it!
    proper solution is to desolder it, take a sand paper, clean the rust off and paint it!
    What comes up next? Hide Your leaked battery instread of repair Your motherboard? Pfff
    8 Bit Dreams - computer & hardware repair in Germany

Online Gangster Amibayer! fitzsteve's Avatar
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Sevenoaks, Kent
    Feedback
    1014 (100%)
    Blog Entries

@DjCook, I just use fabreeze to get rid if the fishy smell and turn up the TV to 100 - works fine
    My Website has moved to: https://fitzstevesamigaworld.000webhostapp.com/ It's now on Free Hosting to preserve the content.
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/fitzsteve

Country
    England
    Region:
    Northumberland
    Feedback
    73 (100%)

[/QUOTE]
    ..it's NOT the right way to hide it instread of cleaning it!
    proper solution is to desolder it, take a sand paper, clean the rust off and paint it!
    What comes up next? Hide Your leaked battery instread of repair Your motherboard? Pfff[/QUOTE]

Whoa there!

And how many Amiga owners own desoldering equipment or have the skills to remove the modulator in one piece?
    You know as well as I do that it requires a lot of heat to remove the body due to the large ground plane that its soldered to, there is also having to remove all the nuts from the sockets so that you can separate the shield from the motherboard. I would imagine that alone would prevent the average user from wanting to try it themselves much like changing the caps where they have to get someone else to do it for them.

For an experienced person, what you say is correct if you have nothing better to do with your time but for the average user it is way too awkward and has the chance to do more harm to the motherboard than anything else.

And as for an Amiga with a leaky battery, now that is something completely different and it also helps if you have the skills and equipment to remove, neutralise and repair any damage that may have been done and ensure that the board is cleaned thoroughly and dried before powering it up again.

I know you are a competent and skilled user but you should really have known the above and not jumped in with such a stupid comment when you know that so many people have to send their Amiga's off to get the caps replaced which is a lot easier than removing the TV Modulator in one piece.

Commercial Vendor
    Amibayer!
    Country
    Great Britain
    Region:
    Cardiff
    Feedback
    6 (100%)

@acherion
    It is a brushed-steel look thin sticker with double-tick printed on. It is not made of paper.

@DJcook
    Of course we recommend sanding off rust before applying the sticker in bad cases of rust. Otherwise you will get lumps underneath the surface.
    www.amigakit.com Amiga Computer Store