rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Rating - 100%
109   0   0
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
After reading about a new device that can make USB mass storage available to all Amigas, I decided I really want one of those puppies.:rainbow:

Thing is: the device itself is based on the cheap MAX3232 chip (an ordinary RS232 translator) and an expensive VDrive2 ready-made circuit box.

The MAX3232 is a no brainer and available even at a corner shop (ask for it on the bakery!) for peanuts.:mrgreen:

Now the VDrive2 is a ready made USB interface that cost at least €40 on Farnell (the cheapest I could find), plus an outrageous postage cost over it when sending to Brazil.:tantrum:

So I want more people to do a group buy and a central person that takes all the $$ and then ship to the other buyers at cost.:grouphug:

Oh, I almost forgot: here is the EAB thread that started this thread (links to circuit design, drivers, program, icons & all necessary bits):
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=55844 :drool:

Last edited:
Looks like the vdrive2 is only $25 (USD) or so, less in quantity.
Here's my question. The vdrive2 is apparently 1 5V and 4 data lines..

I don't know much about the Amiga clockport, but might this interface fairly easily to the clockport?

I realize, it's not full USB, it's just USB storage, but a really cheap USB storage port for any clockport based Amiga (just like the serial only, just faster through the clockport?).

Just wondering..

desiv

Nice founds, mate!

Funny the site have a Brazilian section!:)

The housing is standard for the device. Too bad the buyer cannot open it and toss the capacitors and the MAX3232 chip inside because of the warranty.

---------- Post added at 14:18 ---------- Previous post was at 14:10 ----------

Looks like the vdrive2 is only $25 (USD) or so, less in quantity.
Here's my question. The vdrive2 is apparently 1 5V and 4 data lines..

I don't know much about the Amiga clockport, but might this interface fairly easily to the clockport?

I realize, it's not full USB, it's just USB storage, but a really cheap USB storage port for any clockport based Amiga (just like the serial only, just faster through the clockport?).

Just wondering..

desiv

Mate, I think the device is solution for PCMCIA-less Amigas machines. So its purpose is simply awesome. If you people are like me, that really hate floppy transfers or sacking the HD to transfer on PC via UAE this is the thing to look for.

Also, it seems pretty much universal, so its an universal transfer device for all classic Amigas!(y)

Mate, I think the device is solution for PCMCIA-less Amigas machines

I know and it's awesome for that.
I was just thinking, for those with a PCMCIA network card in their Amigas, it would be nice to plug in a USB device without removing the network card.
And something that wasn't locked to serial port speeds. Yes, there is the full clockport USB adapter, but that is really expensive.

Not a huge deal, but if it's cheap and easy...

Looking forward to it either way..

desiv

And something else for a clockport version is this:
http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=vnwGVgFuQiYCrKscKT8PIQ==

The same thing, but with an MP3 playback option for only $10 more.....

Hmmm..
A clockport USB drive WITH MP3 playback!!!

@Juzzer, it is a DIY project. You have to solder the (few) components and hook to the serial port, install the insignificantly-sized great software (less than 100kb, all included) and go from there.

@Heather: see the links on EAB #1 post, there you'll find the .iff image of the awesomely simple schematic.:inlove:

Thanks Rogerio! I looked at the link and saw pictures but didn't see the directions for building the project. I'll look at it again to see what I can find. :) Something like this would definitely come in handy! If we need to do a group buy to keep the price down then I'd be happy to participate.

Thank you!
:inlove:
Heather

Awesome! I was thinking on swap the serial interface (MAX3232) with an Atmel AT89C2051 programmed as a bidirectional parallel-to-serial port and asking a skilled AMOS programmer to do the modification on the code.

This way the transfer speed will be vastly improved (I expect around >1Mb/s transfer!).

This project never saw the light of day, unfortunately. Time to let it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom